What's new

Lilac Vegetal arrived at my home today...

Many thanks to the OP, and to Topgumby for their wit and insight, and for making me laugh!

I especially liked the part about chasing down the dog to obtain a second opinion!:lol:

Anchovies. Bleu Cheese. Brussel Sprouts. Opera. Black Coffee. Sushi. Pickled Eggs. Yodeling. Really Hot Sauces. Lilac Vegetal.

Some things in life are polarizing, and you either like 'em or you despise 'em.

Anchovies. Never tried 'em.
Bleu Cheese. Rocks.
Brussel Sprouts. Um........:thumbdown
Opera. Hate it!
Black Coffee. Never touch the stuff.
Sushi. Not so good.
Pickled Eggs. Never tried 'em.
Yodeling. Fun to do; torture to listen to.
Really Hot Sauces. Love 'em.:thumbup1:
Lilac Vegetal. Never smelled it.

Looks like I've got some work to do.

Anchovies. Bleu Cheese. Brussel Sprouts. Opera. Black Coffee. Sushi. Pickled Eggs. Yodeling. Really Hot Sauces. Lilac Vegetal.

Some things in life are polarizing, and you either like 'em or you despise 'em.

yeah LV is just like these things :001_rolle

The defense of the LV is getting silly. People not liking cheap, stinky aftershave in a plastic bottle is no where near the same as them being less than refined, unmanly, or whatever other ridiculous thing the the handful of LV lovers keep throwing out there. It stinks, and most guys with wives that still let them near 'em don't wear it. That should tell people who haven't tried it all they need to know...

Everybody should look at Topgumby's poetry or check out luvmysuper's amazing Pinaud video. Lilac Vegetal inspires art in those who accept it; in those who do not, it yields kvetching. All I know is that I'm so happy that tomorrow morning I'm going to shave with Mama Bear's Lilac Ice and splash on some Lilac Vegetal. Isn't joy better than grousing?

It's a well known fact that many artists smell bad.

You can't defend Lilac Vegetal, anymore than you can defend a sunset or attack a rainstorm. It just is.

I'm sure that a refined nose used to refined fragrances isn't going to be blown away (in a good way, at least) by any Pinaud aftershave offering, much less the polarizing Vegetal. But, there has to be something out there for those of us who think that refined is somehow attached to sugar or oil.

As to being unmanly for not being an LV fan, piffle. Manhood isn't defined by preferences in aftershave products. Everybody knows that real manhood is defined by what color of car you drive, how you lace your shoes, and how many pairs of undergarments featuring popular cartoon characters you own.

Order was restored in my home today when my 30 year old bottle of Shulton Old Spice arrived. At first sight of my Shulton bottle the Veg instantly turned from Green to Yellow, and let out a shriek that cracked the glass in three of my windows. Before I could stop it the Veg poured itself down the drain to escape the wrath of Vintage Old Spice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You can't defend Lilac Vegetal, anymore than you can defend a sunset or attack a rainstorm. It just is.

I'm sure that a refined nose used to refined fragrances isn't going to be blown away (in a good way, at least) by any Pinaud aftershave offering, much less the polarizing Vegetal. But, there has to be something out there for those of us who think that refined is somehow attached to sugar or oil.

As to being unmanly for not being an LV fan, piffle. Manhood isn't defined by preferences in aftershave products. Everybody knows that real manhood is defined by what color of car you drive, how you lace your shoes, and
how many pairs of undergarments featuring popular cartoon characters you own.

Just sayin'

and I wish it hadn't.

I have been tinkering with the whole wetshaving / retro aftershave thing for about 2 months now. I have always been an Old Spice fan and when I tried Clubman Pinaud for the first time I was delighted and wear it every day. After my success there I moved on to Clubman Bay Rum and was impressed by it as well.

With full faith in the Clubman line I then placed an order for a sample pack of Clubman Lime Sec, Musk, and the infamous Lilac Vegetal. Despite the fair warnings of my fellow posters here at B&B I decided that since Pinaud and Bay Rum are such fine products then how could the Veg really be that bad? I chalked the woe and contempt for the Veg up to usual internet negativity. :001_unsur

My wife knows I have been bedazzled by the whole wet shaving thing so when the package arrived today she promptly sent me a text.. "Your Vegetal has arrived". I gave her full permission to open it up and give it a smell.
The next text followed... "It smells like Cat Pee".

In my mind surely she was being overly negative because her untrained nose is not used to the fine old retro scents.

When I arrived at home I promptly located my shipment and opened my new bottle of Veg with great anticipation. Sadly... it smelled like cat pee to me as well. I had a double take or so and apon the 4th wiff it physically made my stomach lurch. I did uncap it and hold it down so my Boston Terrier could sample a wiff and he ran away. I followed him because I was sure his judgement was poor also. As I attempted to help him obtain a second wiff he growled and barked at me. Not a good sign. :blushing:

Ever the optimist I insisted to my wife that it smells bad in the bottle and once applied to the skin it would mellow and be delightful. What do dogs know anyways?

So after a few hours of regrouping, shower, and a nice shave with some Col. Conk Amber I applied a healthy splash of Lilac Vegetal to my face. Upon approaching my wife she waved me off from 7 feet away and said she could smell it from there... and was not pleased. At that point I retreated to my office to allow the scent to mellow and sadly after 15 minutes I became nauseated from the smell. :blink:

At that point my spouse and I mutually agreed that the Veg had frowned upon me and the best way for me to salvage the evening was to shower once again.

Honestly at this point I am unsure of what to do with my sample bottle of Veg, but right now I am thinking tomorrow I might bury it under 6 feet of concrete in my back yard. :glare:

Tomorrow night I will venture into the world of Lime Sec... but things are not looking good. At first wiff I was not impressed. Sometimes in life you think you are being handed limes, but it turns out to be furniture polish. :laugh:

OMG. Can't stop laughing!! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, my coworkers are wonder what I am doing over here.

I am tempted to get some now just because I feel I should know first hand.

great thread.

C

Top Bottom