What's new

Lilac Vegetal arrived at my home today...

and I wish it hadn't.

I have been tinkering with the whole wetshaving / retro aftershave thing for about 2 months now. I have always been an Old Spice fan and when I tried Clubman Pinaud for the first time I was delighted and wear it every day. After my success there I moved on to Clubman Bay Rum and was impressed by it as well.

With full faith in the Clubman line I then placed an order for a sample pack of Clubman Lime Sec, Musk, and the infamous Lilac Vegetal. Despite the fair warnings of my fellow posters here at B&B I decided that since Pinaud and Bay Rum are such fine products then how could the Veg really be that bad? I chalked the woe and contempt for the Veg up to usual internet negativity. :001_unsur

My wife knows I have been bedazzled by the whole wet shaving thing so when the package arrived today she promptly sent me a text.. "Your Vegetal has arrived". I gave her full permission to open it up and give it a smell.
The next text followed... "It smells like Cat Pee".

In my mind surely she was being overly negative because her untrained nose is not used to the fine old retro scents.

When I arrived at home I promptly located my shipment and opened my new bottle of Veg with great anticipation. Sadly... it smelled like cat pee to me as well. I had a double take or so and apon the 4th wiff it physically made my stomach lurch. I did uncap it and hold it down so my Boston Terrier could sample a wiff and he ran away. I followed him because I was sure his judgement was poor also. As I attempted to help him obtain a second wiff he growled and barked at me. Not a good sign. :blushing:

Ever the optimist I insisted to my wife that it smells bad in the bottle and once applied to the skin it would mellow and be delightful. What do dogs know anyways?

So after a few hours of regrouping, shower, and a nice shave with some Col. Conk Amber I applied a healthy splash of Lilac Vegetal to my face. Upon approaching my wife she waved me off from 7 feet away and said she could smell it from there... and was not pleased. At that point I retreated to my office to allow the scent to mellow and sadly after 15 minutes I became nauseated from the smell. :blink:

At that point my spouse and I mutually agreed that the Veg had frowned upon me and the best way for me to salvage the evening was to shower once again.

Honestly at this point I am unsure of what to do with my sample bottle of Veg, but right now I am thinking tomorrow I might bury it under 6 feet of concrete in my back yard. :glare:

Tomorrow night I will venture into the world of Lime Sec... but things are not looking good. At first wiff I was not impressed. Sometimes in life you think you are being handed limes, but it turns out to be furniture polish. :laugh:

Last edited:
Your story literally had tears of laughter standing in my eyes, so look at it this way: your Lilac Vegetal was able to bring a brief moment of happiness to someone's life... just not the intended recipient.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to it. It's ok, there are lots of scents out there and no scent is the world is loved by everybody.

There is a thread where folks are passing the Veg around to see if they like it or not, you might get involved there and either make or break someones day!!

:lol:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=148551

The VEG is an acquired taste (scent?) and I don't use it every day...sadly, went to Walgreens today in search of it and is no longer there - but went home with a new classic to try...Murray & Lanman Florida Water!!!:thumbup:

I imagine there's already a Chuck Norris/LV joke out there somewhere. The potential is near limitless.

Anchovies. Bleu Cheese. Brussel Sprouts. Opera. Black Coffee. Sushi. Pickled Eggs. Yodeling. Really Hot Sauces. Lilac Vegetal.

Some things in life are polarizing, and you either like 'em or you despise 'em.

Before you chuck it out the window, try opening the bottle and leaving it sit for a couple of weeks. That can help it along.

I just got some Master Lilac Vegetol, Lord and Master, Iceland Breeze, and of course, some more Bay Rum.
I prefer Master Bay Rum to Pinaud BR. Lord and Master smells a little like diluted Clubman(old man, as my wife calls it), yet my wife actually kinda likes the L&M.
She says it smells like soap.
Iceland Breeze has more alky burn than Master BR, but fades into a nice cooling sensation.
Master Lilac Vegetol smells like, well, lilacs. My 11 yr old son likes the Master Lilac Vegetol.
My 3 yr old son likes the Master BR.
My wife likes the Master BR.
I like the Master Lilac Vegetol ok, but the BR is my favorite. Washing my hands and using hand sanitizer after applying the LV didn't take the scent off my hands. I think it may actually have some staying power.

When my 3 yr old smells any of my AS, except for BR, he says "NO. OK." and runs off.
When he smells my Master BR, he says, "Bay Rum, Bay Rum, Bay Rum, etc." and wants the bottle put right up to his nostrils.
I'd say that's a big thumbs up for BR.

I think I'm going to sell my bottle of Pinaud Clubman. It reminds me of Brut. Brut isn't a good scent on me. I've worn it twice and it isn't working for me.

and I wish it hadn't.

I have been tinkering with the whole wetshaving / retro aftershave thing for about 2 months now. I have always been an Old Spice fan and when I tried Clubman Pinaud for the first time I was delighted and wear it every day. After my success there I moved on to Clubman Bay Rum and was impressed by it as well.

With full faith in the Clubman line I then placed an order for a sample pack of Clubman Lime Sec, Musk, and the infamous Lilac Vegetal. Despite the fair warnings of my fellow posters here at B&B I decided that since Pinaud and Bay Rum are such fine products then how could the Veg really be that bad? I chalked the woe and contempt for the Veg up to usual internet negativity. :001_unsur

My wife knows I have been bedazzled by the whole wet shaving thing so when the package arrived today she promptly sent me a text.. "Your Vegetal has arrived". I gave her full permission to open it up and give it a smell.
The next text followed... "It smells like Cat Pee".

In my mind surely she was being overly negative because her untrained nose is not used to the fine old retro scents.

When I arrived at home I promptly located my shipment and opened my new bottle of Veg with great anticipation. Sadly... it smelled like cat pee to me as well. I had a double take or so and apon the 4th wiff it physically made my stomach lurch. I did uncap it and hold it down so my Boston Terrier could sample a wiff and he ran away. I followed him because I was sure his judgement was poor also. As I attempted to help him obtain a second wiff he growled and barked at me. Not a good sign. :blushing:

Ever the optimist I insisted to my wife that it smells bad in the bottle and once applied to the skin it would mellow and be delightful. What do dogs know anyways?

So after a few hours of regrouping, shower, and a nice shave with some Col. Conk Amber I applied a healthy splash of Lilac Vegetal to my face. Upon approaching my wife she waved me off from 7 feet away and said she could smell it from there... and was not pleased. At that point I retreated to my office to allow the scent to mellow and sadly after 15 minutes I became nauseated from the smell. :blink:

At that point my spouse and I mutually agreed that the Veg had frowned upon me and the best way for me to salvage the evening was to shower once again.

Honestly at this point I am unsure of what to do with my sample bottle of Veg, but right now I am thinking tomorrow I might bury it under 6 feet of concrete in my back yard. :glare:

Tomorrow night I will venture into the world of Lime Sec... but things are not looking good. At first wiff I was not impressed. Sometimes in life you think you are being handed limes, but it turns out to be furniture polish. :laugh:

You are married to a woman of discernment and you have a dog smarter than Lassie. It took you a while, but you finally arrived @ the right conclusion so there is hope for you yet.

BTW, tyx for the laughs. :lol::lol::lol:

marty

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the post... and believe it or not I did not make any of it up.

I can proudly report that tonight's test of Lime Sec went well. I wont wear it ever day but my wife and I both found it pleasant and it works with my chemisty. The furniture polish scent does go away once it is on the skin.

On the Vegetal..Leave the cap off it helps.
I got some in a sample and couldn't stand it either.
A few months later I purchased a full bottle on closeout at walgreen's
The stuff ain't bad but that sample was vile stuff.

Bruce
PS my smartphone don't like it though :thumbdown

well, considering its mostly alcohol, leaving the cap off means it will slowly evaporate, eat the paint off your walls and slowly rott the fundations of your house, its the power of the VEG

Top Bottom