What's new

None of the women in my life like Clubman

My wife felt that way about Chiseled Face Santa Paulina. I have 1.5 bottles I have to dump 🏳️ 🙌
I had to stop to answer the phone, so the previous post wasn't done...added the rest of my thoughts on this perplexing matter. I suppose all of us on this board have some scents that are frowned upon by the lady in charge of the household.

My wife like almost none of my aftershaves and even just some of the more strongly scented soaps. She has a huge dislike of "strong* fragrances, meaning if it projects more than a foot or two. My compromise has been to use unscented aftershave (PAA Sin) at home and whatever I want when I am leaving shortly thereafter. As others have said, happy wife, happy life.

Clubman Original, decanted into a glass bottle from the early 90's. The lotion is about one year old. I splash out perhaps a teaspoon, which doesn't seem excessive. I usually use Proraso Green or Gabels mentholated cream, both I would say are rather mild in scent, a quick to disappate scent. Sometimes I use Lectric Shave if a cordless razor is my choice, and it has a neutral, almost nothing scent. The only other scent which has brought odd remarks for me is CK Eternity.
Then easiest way is to listen to your wife.
+1! Yes indeed!! Happy Wife = Happy Life!!
+1

I am neutral about Clubman, don't love, or hate it.
That can be an issue as well. I'm not neutral about any aftershave I wear or anything else for that matter. If I don't love it, I don't use it or wear it!
In terms of after shave, so may different options exist that you shouldn't have any issue about having to use something that you don't love. And that applies for the ladies in your life as well. I'm sure you can find something that pleases them too and then the Clubman issue can be put to rest!

My wife like almost none of my aftershaves and even just some of the more strongly scented soaps. She has a huge dislike of "strong* fragrances, meaning if it projects more than a foot or two. My compromise has been to use unscented aftershave (PAA Sin) at home and whatever I want when I am leaving shortly thereafter. As others have said, happy wife, happy life.
My wife is the same but won't take it to the extreme of unscented. She's ok with scents that aren't strong. Part of the whole shaving experience I believe is the scents we use. I just pick scents that aren't overbearing.

My wife is the same but won't take it to the extreme of unscented. She's ok with scents that aren't strong. Part of the whole shaving experience I believe is the scents we use. I just pick scents that aren't overbearing.
That's an excellent point. I have some scents that we both like and some others that she likes and I don't. It's really more about the strength of a smell than the smell itself in a lot of cases. That's why I'll use a soap I like but go with unscented aftershave because most artisans make their aftershaves as strong as cologne these days.

A teaspoon of Clubman would be way way too much for me. I just use drops of it, enough to cover my face and neck and the back of my neck too, and wipe the rest of it on my torso just to get it off my hands. Love the stuff. it works very well for me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My wife likes fragrances that smell like I'm not wearing a fragrance, so my collection has a lot of light soapy scents. Been ages since I used Clubman, though I use the Special Reserve once in a while during the winter when she's not around.

A teaspoon of Clubman would be way way too much for me. I just use drops of it, enough to cover my face and neck and the back of my neck too, and wipe the rest of it on my torso just to get it off my hands. Love the stuff. it works very well for me.
To get an idea of how much Clubman I typically use, I filled a teaspoon and poured it in my hand. Seemed like a lot of liquid, more than how much Clubman I use. My guess now is half a teaspoon of Clubman is close to how much I use.

To get an idea of how much Clubman I typically use, I filled a teaspoon and poured it in my hand. Seemed like a lot of liquid, more than how much Clubman I use. My guess now is half a teaspoon of Clubman is close to how much I use.
I use three, maybe four drops, but four might be pushing it. I think it's pretty efficient stuff. I've heard of a guy diluting Whiskey Woods with water for use as an aftershave. Some of the guys on here dilute with witch hazel for an aftershave. I think I've heard of 50/50. I used my new bottle of Whiskey Woods like I use my Clubman, and it was too much for my wife, so that stuff I might have to dilute. Different scents smell different to different people too. I've noticed as they fade, they change "colors." From Clubman I've gotten vanilla, chocolate, even skunk. When it's almost totally faded I smell flowers of some kind. The other day my Pinaud Bay Rum def. smelled like bay leaves, where previously I couldn't place the scent. The Whiskey Woods I have no idea what it smells like besides awesome.

Sorry it doesn't work for you. It is a stronger scent that lingers, so I'm careful when I'm wearing it where I plan on being for the day. I do like the Orignal Clubman scent so I get my daily fix using the shampoo, Clubman Country Club. It doesn't linger.

Been decanting Clubman for about thirty years. Does it help? Maybe a bit...I agree on Proraso, Floid and also Myrsol. The Europeans are better at aftershaves, period.
Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the fragrance of Clubman developed by a Frenchman and isn’t the fragrance oil currently being made in France then sent here to make the aftershave

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Honestly, I've never really likedthe original Pinaud Clubman. At best, it's ok. I do like their Virgin Island Bay Rum though...and their Pinaud Clubman Vanilla is nice.

Honestly, I've never really likedthe original Pinaud Clubman. At best, it's ok. I do like their Virgin Island Bay Rum though...and their Pinaud Clubman Vanilla is nice.
Agreed that the original Clubman is just okay but nothing special. I want to like the VIBR but I find it cloyingly sweet and one of the spice notes (allspice maybe?) just doesn’t work well for me

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't use aftershave (WH and balm for my dry skin), but this reminds me of my cologne search. I purchased many samples and quite a few were rejected by my wife. But no worries - there are so many scents out there it's not that difficult to find a handful you'll both like. Enjoy the search.

Top Bottom