What's new

Lets see your torches

I have several, but the Streamlight Stylus Pro is quickly becoming one of my favorite. Small, thin, durable, extremely bright and long duration.

Trying to post picture, but having a hard time.

couple of streamlights, not a collector by any means.
$464643_10150591587913034_1158879549_o.jpg

brucered

System Generated
There's more than one?

the TK22 has the following, which means nothing to me. I know it's an awesome beam, bright and better then some of my other Fenix Lights.

- Uses Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED
- At the center is a lossless, orange-peel reflector that generates a more complete, ringless beam pattern

the TK22 has the following, which means nothing to me. I know it's an awesome beam, bright and better then some of my other Fenix Lights.

- Uses Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED
- At the center is a lossless, orange-peel reflector that generates a more complete, ringless beam pattern

The first part talks about the type of LED and the second part talks about the reflector. I just went to FenixLighting.com, the manufacturer's website, and only see the TK22 in one tint, clear.

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
yes, just clear. but sometimes they change the reflector and Cree emmitter to have natural white, yellowish etc.

to be honest, I have no idea what they all mean.

The problem with most Chinese made lights is there is often quite a bit of variation in the 'tint' or colour of the light emitted.

Most Chinese lights use or specify 6000-7000K colour temperature because it generally appears brighter, so to make their lights look really bright, they go for a very white, cool white light. Unfortunately this generally means the light actually has quite a poor ability to render colours truly.

Keeping the costs down many of the Chinese manufacturers dont sort the LEDS or buy leds that have all been given the same bin number so you can end up with leds then have come off a different production line so to speak and they might have a green or bluish colour tint to them.

A lot of guys often refer to the purchase of some lights going into a 'tint lottery' because you dont know what you will get, some get lucky and some get really unlucky.

Most LED chips are manufactured in many different colour temps from say 2700K up to 7000K. I think most of the time high CRI (colour rendition index - ability to render true colours) leds are a much warmer (yellower) light.

Personally i really like a Neutral tint, around 4000K colour temperature. I generally have a strong dislike for leds in the 6000-7000K range.

Travis.

Tints, some people do white wall hunting and see different things, my 4seven mini xm-l looks a little pea soup green.
reflectors, flood and spill, if you were a cop entering a room you would want lots of spill to see into corners, but that has an adverse effect on your night vision outdoors, where you also affect the vision of people walking towards you, so of you were walking a dog and waring a headlamp someone says hi you look at them and the spot hits them in their eyes. So in a review does this light work for the purpose purchased. Looking a an engine, walking, checking out bumps in the night, looking for junk in attic. Nightlite in a hotel.
i like low light to get around the house, diffuser on the lense, and have a larger light at the back door to flash at the deer in the wood line.
I did not know the tint of the flashlight but was wondering if it worked for job intended. Does it fit in a pocket, holster or a bug out bag.

I see what you were referring to now. The tint, as far as I can tell, is a cool white.

I found one more advantage of the TK22. I kept some of my used Surefire CR123A batteries that I used in my A2 Aviator. They measured at just over 2.8 volts and didn't have enough energy to power the incandescent bulb in my A2 Aviator. I just put a pair of the used batteries in my TK22 and it works just great! It's pretty cool that I get some more use out of my used batteries.

I see what you were referring to now. The tint, as far as I can tell, is a cool white.

I found one more advantage of the TK22. I kept some of my used Surefire CR123A batteries that I used in my A2 Aviator. They measured at just over 2.8 volts and didn't have enough energy to power the incandescent bulb in my A2 Aviator. I just put a pair of the used batteries in my TK22 and it works just great! It's pretty cool that I get some more use out of my used batteries.
Check out joule thief circuits they will drain batteries down to .5 volts if you want a nite lite output level. Think 10 mm led under driver.
i just ordered a solarforce three level drop in, it is a .8-4.2 xp-g, I will use 2 AA batteries and drain them dry.

The problem with most Chinese made lights is there is often quite a bit of variation in the 'tint' or colour of the light emitted.

A lot of guys often refer to the purchase of some lights going into a 'tint lottery' because you dont know what you will get, some get lucky and some get really unlucky.

Most LED chips are manufactured in many different colour temps from say 2700K up to 7000K. I think most of the time high CRI (colour rendition index - ability to render true colours) leds are a much warmer (yellower) light.

Personally i really like a Neutral tint, around 4000K colour temperature. I generally have a strong dislike for leds in the 6000-7000K range.

Travis.
my Zebralight sc60w is a great tint, neutral, but still getting a hot pocket when I forget to unscrew the threads is a pain.
lee filters has film you can use to salvage flashlights you can not stand.
i also have diffusion filters to make throwers usable.

A couple of pretty standard type tactical lights: The tan is a run of the mill Surefire G2 with the Xenon bulb that I've had for 6 or 7 years and I can't kill it. The second is a Nightstick TAC-300 that was just gifted to me by a buddy of mine. It's a Cree LED light that is much brighter than the original Surefire G2.

Cheers!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Just got this one! Advertised at 300 lumens, although many folks online say it ain't so. My rating system is I see blue dots for 30 minutes after looking at the business end.:w00t:
This thing is just crazy bright, and casts a beam several hundred feet with a single 14500 lithion battery (it will also use a single AA, but less bright). It has three modes-high, low, and strobe; It also has adjustable zoom to go from spotlight to flood. The best part is that it is $5.00 from Amazon (made in China or something). A 14500 battery and charger was an additional $8.00. The construction quality of the torch seems good, but I have only had it for a short time, so I am unsure of the durability. The quality of the battery charger is poor, but it charged the battery.
This light is not the same one frequently sold at convenience stores sitting on the counter for 5 bucks, although it is about the same size and similar looking.

It really is impressive and not just when you consider its size. Heck it must be impressive, the wife even made some positive comments about it, and that never happens when I spend money:wink2:
Buy one of these if you are looking for a small, super crazy, hyper bionic, zombie blinding, pocket full of lightning!
$110913075617.jpg

A video review I found on youtube (not me):

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom