What's new

Choosing the right shaving brush(es)- Muhle, Acca Kappa, Plisson

Found some better photos of Plisson Boule. While I do like the shape, I am not a fan of the gold or palladium finish. So this one is out.
If I do go with Plisson it will be one of their HMW brushes, either the blue or grey resin

Attachments

• blaireau-de-rasage-de-luxe-boule-or-et-touffe-pur-gris-plisson-2.jpg
    blaireau-de-rasage-de-luxe-boule-or-et-touffe-pur-gris-plisson-2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 17
  • blaireau-de-rasage-de-luxe-boule-palladium-et-touffe-pur-gris-plisson.jpg
    blaireau-de-rasage-de-luxe-boule-palladium-et-touffe-pur-gris-plisson.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Capture d’écran 2022-07-22 à 15-04-37.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-07-22 à 15-04-37.png
    1 MB · Views: 17

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Found some better photos of Plisson Boule. While I do like the shape, I am not a fan of the gold or palladium finish. So this one is out.
If I do go with Plisson it will be one of their HMW brushes, either the blue or grey resin
I would think that handle might be too short for a bowl. It is your money but I would not take the risk on a Plisson, or any other high end brush, without being confident it would suit me. That confidence can only come from having tried a variety of brushes, perhaps including a Plisson on loan. I would guess that most B&B members, if given a variety of high end, expensive brushes, would enjoy and use some, and dislike and discard the reminder. Price and exclusivity are no guarantee that a brush will suit you. Good luck with your purchase.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This brush looks like it is horrible to hold with wet, soapy fingers!!!

I would think that handle might be too short for a bowl. It is your money but I would not take the risk on a Plisson, or any other high end brush, without being confident it would suit me. That confidence can only come from having tried a variety of brushes, perhaps including a Plisson on loan. I would guess that most B&B members, if given a variety of high end, expensive brushes, would enjoy and use some, and dislike and discard the reminder. Price and exclusivity are no guarantee that a brush will suit you. Good luck with your purchase.
Very sound advice, if I could try them out absolutely it will help narrow down and decide. It's a bit risky buying blind

I'm going to hold on a decision until my trip to Paris in 10 days. Is there one specific shaving shop in Paris that stands out as being the best? The trip is for an anniversary weekend so don't think my Mrs will be too pleased if we spend the whole trip visiting shaving shops rather than seeing sites 🤣

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have no idea but I can say this - there are members here using brushes from $5 to $500+, some members own hundreds of brushes, and although I have only done a brief search, I cannot find anyone using an Acca Kappa brush. If I were choosing where to spend my money then that would certainly tell me something 👍

So I had the brush on order from amazon and within an hour it was packed and shipped back to them.

Not impressed with the style, a bit too bulky for me, and the quality didn't seem to match the price point.

Attachments

• tempImageFyquRN.png
    tempImageFyquRN.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImage7BqyIS.png
    tempImage7BqyIS.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 16

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
So I had the brush on order from amazon and within an hour it was packed and shipped back to them.

Not impressed with the style, a bit too bulky for me, and the quality didn't seem to match the price point.
I never heard of them, nor have I seen someone who uses one. The pictures you showed above show the hair is indeed a three band hair. But, way too long and floppy in my opinion, and not well shaped as well.
Now, in regards to the "pure": continental European companies often describe their hair as pure badger, as only badger hair has been used, nothing else mixed in. It has nothing to do with the low grade pure hair. So, naming it as "Pure Silvertip" means nothing else than the hair is 100% badger and of a higher grade.
You see this named often as:
Puro Tasso (Italian)
Pur Blaireau (French)
Reindachs or Reinst Dachs (German)

Ordered an SV brush
In Paris now. Doubtful I will have time to look for Plisson. I emailed them. They don’t have a store here. I’ve been waiting for two days for them to tell me which one of their stockists here have the brushes I am interested in. I doubt they will reply before I leave

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ordered an SV brush
In Paris now. Doubtful I will have time to look for Plisson. I emailed them. They don’t have a store here. I’ve been waiting for two days for them to tell me which one of their stockists here have the brushes I am interested in. I doubt they will reply before I leave
I’m looking forward to your review of the SV brush. As I mentioned, I just love them.

I never heard of them
That’s a very old Italian shaving brush maker, I think somewhere around 150 years or perhaps even older. However, from what I’ve seen on most online shops here in Europe, nowadays they are focussing more on skin products (creams) and less on shaving brushes. In fact, most sellers I frequently use even stopped carrying their brushes in the last 2-3 years. I don’t think their brushes sell well these days.

Top Bottom