What's new

Longevity of horn handles

Dear enablers,

I use my larger knots (26 - 30mm) most of the time and while I was using a Simpsons Chubby 2 in super badger this morning, which has one of my favorite knots, I was thinking to add another one to have a 3 pieces set. After I browsed though their catalogue, I thought to take a look also in Plisson's offerings because I remembered of their horn handles and I want to have one, specifically the "Horn & High Mountain White Shaving brush" with a size 20 (28mm) High Mountain White - Very Soft knot.

I only own one (stabilized) horn handle brush, but I was wondering about their longevity with respect to resin or other materials. Since I will be spending 920 EUR for the Plisson brush, I don't want to have issues with it and I would like it to last a very long time. I would expect 50 years or so. Is this realistic or not?

I do have experience with horn in straight razor scales, but that horn is used differently and not exposed to those cycles where it gets wet and soapy followed by drying periods.

Anyone has long term experience with horn handles and can share some advice?

Thank you in advance!

1707812163712.png

I guess it doesn't matter anymore as I just ordered one (knot size 20 in high mountain white badger). And just to calm myself down if the horn will not behave as I expect, I ordered duplicates for my Simpsons Chubby 2 and Chubby 3, both also in super.

Last edited:
I guess it doesn't matter anymore as I just ordered one (knot size 20 in high mountain white badger). And just to calm myself down if the horn will not behave as I expect, I ordered duplicates for my Simpsons Chubby 2 and Chubby 3, both also in super.
There was a thread here a while back, I think they can crack sometimes. I suspect it probably has as much or more to do with the knot swelling than the effects of surface moisture, though. I've never owned one but they do appeal to me. Let us know how it goes.

There was a thread here a while back, I think they can crack sometimes. I suspect it probably has as much or more to do with the knot swelling than the effects of surface moisture, though.
That's what I am also thinking. Although, in fairness, cracking handles isn't something new in shaving brushes, whenever they are made from horn or something else. I suspect it has something to do with incorrect tolerances between a swelling knot and the handle. Horn is also quite strong, we both know they can take a fair amount of abuse in straight razor scales.

Reportedly, horn holds up longer if it is occasionally oiled. Mine came with instructions to apply a gentle amount with your finger every six months or so with vegetable oil. Rudy Vey recommends using neetsfoot oil. I don't use mine all that much and have not been diligent about oiling it. I would guess I have been doing it often enough for the frequency of use.

All that said, I have several faux horn resin handles and I'm not likely to buy another real horn. The resin handles hold up extremely well and require not additional attention.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Reportedly, horn holds up longer if it is occasionally oiled. Mine came with instructions to apply a gentle amount with your finger every six months or so with vegetable oil. Rudy Vey recommends using neetsfoot oil. I don't use mine all that much and have not been diligent about oiling it. I would guess I have been doing it often enough for the frequency of use.

All that said, I have several faux horn resin handles and I'm not likely to buy another real horn. The resin handles hold up extremely well and require not additional attention.
Yes, Neatsfoot oil, but it must be the pure oil, not the Neatsfoot oil Compound, which is often mixed with solvents and other oils. I have always given a small bottle with the oil when I sell a horn brush, or a composite handle, horn/resin, like a group buy here on B&B several years ago.

Reportedly, horn holds up longer if it is occasionally oiled. Mine came with instructions to apply a gentle amount with your finger every six months or so with vegetable oil. Rudy Vey recommends using neetsfoot oil.
Thank you for the info. Being a natural material, I do expect it to require a bit if maintenance. As I mentioned in one of the messages above, I do have many straight razors with horn scales, which I do oil or wax periodically (around every 3 months), so that’s not going to be a problem for me. I do agree though, a resin handle is more durable, or at least in theory.

Have you noticed any effects on the horn due to the contact with soap? One of my concerns is the oil (or wax) will be stripped away quickly and perhaps drying out the horn quicker, but I am not sure if my logic is correct.

Anyway, I do understand some might steer away from horn, but to be honest, being a straight razor user, I learned to love horn and this was my main driver in getting a brush with horn handle.

Deer antler, mammoth and others. There are so many natural materials and I absolutely love them!
Are you in Zeeland? If so, it's a short drive to Antwerpen. Messenwinkel at Mechelseplein used to sell lots of brushes with natural handles. But I haven't been there in quite a while so I'm not sure of that's still the case.

Are you in Zeeland? If so, it's a short drive to Antwerpen. Messenwinkel at Mechelseplein used to sell lots of brushes with natural handles. But I haven't been there in quite a while so I'm not sure of that's still the case.
I live in Noord Brabant, but it’s not that far away. I will pass by one day, I see the store still exists. Not sure if they still sell novelty items though.

I live in Noord Brabant, but it’s not that far away. I will pass by one day, I see the store still exists. Not sure if they still sell novelty items though.
In the days before internet ordering was as common as it is today, I used to get most of my shaving supplies from them. But like I said I haven't been there for quite some years now. Last time was just before the pandemic started.

Top Bottom