What's new

Length in time of Classic Old Spice scent after applying?

walked into 4 Weldricks stores today as i've planned on getting it from this store for 2 weeks but they didn't even have it on the shelves :thumbdown all i came back with was the Palmolive soap stick. doubt Weldricks actually sell Old Spice tbh, i'll have to buy it off the internet next week instead.

I just checked Weldrick's and I think they'll ship aftershaves to the US but the shipping cost is 60% of the order! It's tempting, though, as there are shaving sticks and creams I'd like to try. Have you taken a look at what Gifts and Care in Spain sells?

http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/sear...ay=desc&search_query=old+spice&submit_search=

After going into a bunch of supermarkets and pharmacies this week, I've come to the conclusion the time is better spent ordering over the internet unless you're specifically making a trip to a local place that specializes in shaving supplies like Pasteur's Pharmacy here in NYC.

I wore old spice classic yesterday. I applied it around 6:30am. From time to time during the morning I would smell my palms to catch a wiff. I noted by 9:30 I couldn't smell the classic. Today I wore some original. Once again I applied it around 6:30am. I got my hands fairly dirty around 10am, so I washed up. At around noon I could still smell the original although faint. Yet another test that these two are not the same. Classic, fuhgedaboudit!!

I just use the Family Dollar (Vi-jon) flavor. Works and smells great and super price. I put it in a 1950's Old Spice bottle and enjoy.

I wore old spice classic yesterday. I applied it around 6:30am. From time to time during the morning I would smell my palms to catch a wiff. I noted by 9:30 I couldn't smell the classic. Today I wore some original. Once again I applied it around 6:30am. I got my hands fairly dirty around 10am, so I washed up. At around noon I could still smell the original although faint. Yet another test that these two are not the same. Classic, fuhgedaboudit!!

I'm surprised it was three hours later when you couldn't smell the Classic. For me, it's about 30 minutes at most, although I will say it adheres to hair better than skin. I could still get a faint whiff on my arm hairs a few hours after application. I think I've read recommendations on this forum that suggest adding a few ounces of the Classic to the Family Dollar Spice AS to lengthen the duration of the scent. I'm wondering if it will have an opposite effect instead and shorten the duration of the Family Dollar Spice scent!

I'm going to try and buy the EU Original AS and EDT. I'd like to get each Original aftershave (UK and Germany- if they are indeed made in separate countries) and compare them to the India version myself. I doubt there is a difference between the UK and Germany versions as they're both made by P&G. If only P&G had someone who could explain why they call it Original in the EU and Classic in the US. If the US Classic is different, why not offer both? I'd like to see photos posted here of the backs of the UK and Germany Original OS AS bottles.

I bought this bottle in Germany, about two years ago. Didn't keep the box with the ingredients list though.

$uploadfromtaptalk1440865114712.jpg

I bought this bottle in Germany, about two years ago. Didn't keep the box with the ingredients list though

Wow. You bought the 250 ml bottle! Congratulations! I've only seen that online on European subsidiaries of Amazon.com. Thanks for the photo. I think what the wording means is that Proctor & Gamble UK is licensing the product to be made somewhere in the European Union and not necessarily the UK. Old Spice continues to be a multi-layered mystery! In reality, the whole fragrance business is. Many of the fragrances we loved from decades ago have been sold and some have been reformulated.

I have contacted P&G twice regarding the original and Classic aftershaves, both times being told the two are the same formula. My comment after hearing their response the second time was that P&G are obviously clueless about the matter. Since that time I no longer have any respect for them as a company and I have not purchased a product of their manufacture. Maybe we all should do this, perhaps these P&G people would understand our disgust with their "handling" of the Old Spice aftershave fiasco. Talk about screwing up a one-car parade on a one-way street!

Well said! I'm disgusted with the change in the Original. At 52 I remember the original scent and there's no way in $&## this new stuff is Old Spice. I bought a bottle at Walmart a few months ago and used it exactly once. I returned it immediately. I now use Family Dollar Store "Spice" and it's far closer to the original Old Spice that what you find today. I now decant the Family Dollar store Spice into a vintage 1980's OS bottle and am quite content.

proxy.php

Well said! I'm disgusted with the change in the Original. At 52 I remember the original scent and there's no way in $&## this new stuff is Old Spice. I bought a bottle at Walmart a few months ago and used it exactly once. I returned it immediately. I now use Family Dollar Store "Spice" and it's far closer to the original Old Spice that what you find today. I now decant the Family Dollar store Spice into a vintage 1980's OS bottle and am quite content.

Have you considered purchasing the European or India produced versions of Original Old Spice aftershave or the European Old Spice Eau de Toilette? Is the Gillette razor in the photo an original family heirloom or was it bought over the net?

Last edited:
Right so did a wrist by wrist comparison & did a 12 hour shift in work while wearing solely the Indian & then the "UK" version.

First off I think I may have to change my assessment of the Indian version not having the same longevity, it does but the scent after drydown I think is more easily masked on my body than the "UK" version.

The drydown is "spicier" & gets hidden easier by my body chemistry with the Indian version while there is a "sweetness" to the "UK" version that makes it easier to detect after drydown on my body hence my initial opinion that it lasted longer.

I actually prefer the scent of the Indian initially but the "UK" version smells better to my nose after say 6 hours, I actually found the Indian spiciness a bit off putting at the 6 hour mark. Still get hints of both at the end of a 12 hour shift but as said the "UK" one is easier to detect on my body.

After the initial 15 minutes on the wrist both old spice variations smelt more similar to me than I thought they would from memory.

To the point that I would recommend either, but probably sway towards the "UK" version over the Indian if you were interested in scent alone.

One major plus for the Indian though that I only noticed when I did the wrist by wrist comparison. The feel of the aftershave. By that I mean it warms the skin to a much higher degree than the "UK" version, seriously I noticed it even more because it was on my wrist. It was similar a sensation to applying "Deep Heat" !

This can be a major plus to me in the same way that I love the menthol blast from Proraso or Floid vigaroso the warmth from the Indian old spice can be a real pleasure!

I add glycerin & menthol to some aftershaves to improve the feel of them, does anyone know of what to add to replicate this warming sensation?

Thanks

Attachments

• $IMG_20150904_063840545.jpg
    $IMG_20150904_063840545.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 33
  • $IMG_20150904_063900138_HDR.jpg
    $IMG_20150904_063900138_HDR.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 32
  • $IMG_20150904_063923205_HDR.jpg
    $IMG_20150904_063923205_HDR.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 32
  • $IMG_20150904_063958724_HDR.jpg