What's new

Legion Extranjera (lots of pics)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I’d like to introduce my Legion Extranjera, originally from Argentina. Please note that all pics are thumbnail sized but will expand to full-size if you click on them.
IMG_1971.jpg
I am drawn to razors for a variety of reasons: they have a history, they are unusual in design or provenance or they just speak to me on a personal level. The Legion Extranjera (LE) ticks all of these boxes for me.

The information on the LE as a company is fairly sparse, especially for a non-spanish speaking razor researcher. Waits’ Compendium has a blurb:
LE WC Snippet.JPG

And there is a very old B&B thread on the LE with a reference to the makers (i.e., the Sola family).
Legion Estranjera

As for unusual design -- the LE is indeed a rare bird, at least in my experience. The top cap is an open comb, but the bottom plate is a fairly large safety bar with lather holes. My initial thought was that this is a “Frankenrazor”, however the parts have the same coloration/plating, and I feel fairly certain that this razor was likely produced this way. That said, I’ve never seen another LE like this in pictures, and I can’t recall seeing this OC top cap setup with a safety bar before either.
IMG_1966.jpg IMG_1968.jpg IMG_1969.jpg

Then there is the name and insignia/brand. Legion Extranjera (translation Foreign Legion), and of course the brand mark is a fairly-detailed picture of a Foreign Legion soldier. You can see the rifle, hat and even hands…pretty intricate work. [insert pics]
IMG_1966 (1).jpg IMG_1966 (2).jpg IMG_1966 (3).jpg

While the design and graphics caught my eye, what really sealed the deal for me is that it is an Argentinian razor. One of the most extraordinary people I have had the pleasure of knowing was from Argentina, and so this razor has a personal connection for me.

But how does it shave? Crazy close with almost no blade feel. The razor has a large blade gap, but very little blade exposure -- I’m doing this all visually, no quantitative measurements taken.
IMG_1974.jpg IMG_1975.jpg

So the razor feels rather mild, but it will absolutely bite. It also seems like side is more aggressive than the other....but not so much so that I can state that definitively.

I started with a brand new Voskhod blade and by riding the cap (that is my modus operandi with a new razor) and it cut nice and smoothly, but if I rode the cap just a little too much, I managed to feel the sharp teeth of the top cap….so there is a bit of a sweet spot. The cutting angle can be varied more than most of my DE’s, but there’s a place where the shave is ultra-smooth and the cutting-efficiency is very-high. This is one of those razors that seems to excel with more facial hair growth versus less:
  • My first shave was with at least 40 hours of growth, and after 2 passes I was glassy-smooth. I usually need an injector or Micromatic OC to get that smooth that quickly. I did a spot touch-up and then marveled for hours and hours afterward about how long the shave lasted. No blood, no irritation, but my face felt “tingly”.

• My second shave was with only 30 hours of growth -- and there wasn’t much growth given the first shave -- and that took 3 passes. During this shave I was trying all sorts of techniques and I managed a nick and a bleeder. I also over-shaved by doing that full-on 3rd pass, so I had a little bit of neck irritation. I checked an hour after the shave and the irritation was gone, and the nick and bleeder was easily addressed with an alum block. The shave itself was extremely close….so much so that I didn’t need a shave 36 hours later (which is when I had planned my next shave) and I’m now going to be waiting another day for a shave. Now I’m not saying I was stubble free after 36 hours, but given the efficiency of the razor, and it’s preference for longer growth, I decided to wait a bit.
I may post about a couple more shaves, but my take-away on this razor is that it like my most efficient slants -- it feels mild when I’m using it, but after the pass I’m marveling at how close it cut. It’s an awesome razor and while I had no intention of letting it go for a variety of reasons, I’m now thinking it isn’t just a “medicine-cabinet-queen” but rather a great razor for when I need something close and feel like using a non-slant-DE.

The Sola brothers produced many “Gillette-Like” razors in Argentina, and apparently ran a thriving blade production company to hold Gillette back from taking over the market for several decades. Does anyone else have a Legion Extranjera? How does it shave for you?

Love that handle. My is an aggressive shaver....how is yours?

My Legion Extranjera is an excellent shaver. Feels good in the hand, slightly small but weighty. Not the least bit slippery which I was kind of worried about. The beehive ends seems to help the razor feel very comfortable in the hand. Very efficient, nimble and manageable for me. Highly recommended.

Very nice. From one of your pics the top cap definitely looks asymmetrical. About 3X the blade exposure on the left as the right side in the image. Probably designed to give a close and and mild side.

Very nice. From one of your pics the top cap definitely looks asymmetrical. About 3X the blade exposure on the left as the right side in the image. Probably designed to give a close and and mild side.
I think it's just the angle of the photo. The angle of view substantially changes the appearance of the size of the gap . Likely this happens with all razors. Perhaps this effect is just emphasized with the design of this particular razor. I looked again closely at the razor, with and without a blade in it, and both sides look pretty much the same. Although, like I said, the angle of your view does greatly change how much light you see through the blade gap.

Top Bottom