What's new

La Toja - Item of he Week 2/25/13

I'm glad to see so many participants.

I hadn't used La Toja in a while and did notice that it seems to absorb more water than my other sticks when rubbing it on my face. It lathered up very nicely with the B&B Essential boar brush. The shave was very smooth with a two shave old Feather blade.

The scent is hard to describe. The stick does seem to have a smokey scent, but the lather does not. Someone said minerally and I think that is it.

My stick is still loose in the base. After a few uses I suspect that the little bit of water that runs down the stick will firm it up just like all of my other sticks with bases.

How about pronunciation? Is it pronounced la-toe-ha or la-toy-a or something else?

Thanks everyone for joining in. By the end of the week we should have a pretty good description of this little gem.

How do you like the B&B Essential boar for face lathering? I am tempted by this brush because it is just so nice looking and reasonably priced.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Today's shave was super fast, as I slept in a bit. I notice that the La Toja stick is larger than my other 50 gram shave sticks, which means it must have more air in it and that is probably why it soaks the water off my face like a sponge when I rub it on. I have to re-wet the tip a lot more than my other sticks.

I lathered with a TGN silver tip brush set in an Ever-Ready handle that I got from Brianw. I really like that brush, and it made plenty of lather for my one and a half pass shave, with plenty left over to rub my face down with.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
How do you like the B&B Essential boar for face lathering? I am tempted by this brush because it is just so nice looking and reasonably priced.

I'm kind of a boar fan to begin with and I face lather most of the time. I like the B&B Essential especially for lathering sticks. Sometimes I get a little too much soap on my face in some spots and a floppy brush takes more time to convert those spots into lather. So the B&B Essential is perfect as it has lots of backbone. I only wish it would open up a bit more, maybe in time, as it doesn't hold as much lather as my Omega 10049 or my TGN silver tip badger.

Batting 3 for 3 with La Toja so far. Worked up a face lather with vie long horse 12705.
Tonight, I throw a changeup with a small 18mm badger.

How about pronunciation? Is it pronounced la-toe-ha or la-toy-a or something else?

It's Spanish, the "J" is almost silent. I say almost because it sounds almost like between a "R" and a "H". You know how to say "Geraldo Rivera".

So, it's basically "La - Toh - Ha"

Those are great endorsement for the essential brush.

Unfortunately, I slept though my alarm this morning and had to skip my shave so I could get to work. Back to La Toja tomorrow.

Third shave with La Toja featuring Feather AS-D1, Omega boar and SuperIridium (3). Now I am getting more of the scent, there is actually some kind of 'smokeyness' and mineral thing going on here. The stick is now in prime condition and very easy to apply and build lather from. A boar is obviously the brush that is intended to be used with La Toja (no surprise there!). A very pleasant shave. Tomorrov I will change hardvare alltogether. Maybe NEW LC and a treet Durasharp? hm... Semogue 620... hm...
Bosse

Since I missed the start this is shave #2 with the La Toja stick. I did happen to use the La Toja Creme for the first time on Monday, so this is taking on a doo-daa-doo-daa feel already...

Cold water shave/Semogue 1800/Feather SS Non Folding/Kai Mild - Guard/Face Lather
Since I do the lather and 30 second face rub down you can get a good sense of the slick/density. This stuff has staying power.
The notes about it taking up water helped (thanks) and I have to admit that this gets better with each shave and continues to exceed expectations.
2 Pass / BBS / Not even a weeper..

My go-to travel stick has been Tabac, I now have a second choice for those long trips...

Question for the experienced users:
Does the stick eventually stabilize in the base or does it always come loose?
Do you leave the foil on or take it off?

And thank you again for this great thread - what is next weeks "Soap of the Week" going to be so I can get ready?

MJC - I left the foil on and the stick was loose in the base before I started on Monday and is firmly planted before I started shaving this morning. I think the soap swells a little bit when exposed to the water and will shrink back down a bit if left unused for an extended time.

3rd shave -
Frank Shaving silvertip 21mm x 42 loft
Gillette Goodwill
SuperMax Super Platinum
Vintage Avon Wild Country

Great 3-pass/ no touch up DFS

Today I concentrated on really applying a lot of soap to my face. After soaking the stick along with my brush I rubbed the stick on my face until there was a good visible coating of soap everywhere, re-dipping the stick in the water whenever it stopped gliding easily. I then took my small FS brush and shook the excess water out and proceeded to build a ton of dense slick lather. Today's shave was the best so far this week. I look forward to improving yet again tomorrow.

One thing I have noticed about the La Toja is that the minerals in the soap have an astringent effect on my skin, acting like a mild alum treatment while I'm shaving. This is the only product I have used that gives me this tightening sensation during the shave, it is minor but noticeable. Also it seems like the lather is a bit harder to rinse off after the shave. This may be due to the thick style lather that I prefer, but I don't have as much problems rinsing the other hard soaps in my rotation.

Red handle essential is on it way. :thumbup1: I could not resist with all the praise it is getting.

Since I missed the start this is shave #2 with the La Toja stick. I did happen to use the La Toja Creme for the first time on Monday, so this is taking on a doo-daa-doo-daa feel already...

Cold water shave/Semogue 1800/Feather SS Non Folding/Kai Mild - Guard/Face Lather
Since I do the lather and 30 second face rub down you can get a good sense of the slick/density. This stuff has staying power.
The notes about it taking up water helped (thanks) and I have to admit that this gets better with each shave and continues to exceed expectations.

My go-to travel stick has been Tabac, I now have a second choice for those long trips...

And thank you again for this great thread - what is next weeks "Soap of the Week" going to be so I can get ready?

I left the foil on and found that the stick kind of stabilizes in the base. Just don't mess with it or it will come loose. Also, not sure if you have seen this yet but here is the link to the "item of the week" list. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/334007-Item-of-the-Week-Schedule

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I took the foil off. I don't want to be bothered with peeling it back as I use it. I found that the little bit of water that trickles down to the base after I put it away has caused it to set up in the base.

MJC - I left the foil on and the stick was loose in the base before I started on Monday and is firmly planted before I started shaving this morning. I think the soap swells a little bit when exposed to the water and will shrink back down a bit if left unused for an extended time.

3rd shave -
Frank Shaving silvertip 21mm x 42 loft
Gillette Goodwill
SuperMax Super Platinum
Vintage Avon Wild Country

Great 3-pass/ no touch up DFS

Today I concentrated on really applying a lot of soap to my face. After soaking the stick along with my brush I rubbed the stick on my face until there was a good visible coating of soap everywhere, re-dipping the stick in the water whenever it stopped gliding easily. I then took my small FS brush and shook the excess water out and proceeded to build a ton of dense slick lather. Today's shave was the best so far this week. I look forward to improving yet again tomorrow.

One thing I have noticed about the La Toja is that the minerals in the soap have an astringent effect on my skin, acting like a mild alum treatment while I'm shaving. This is the only product I have used that gives me this tightening sensation during the shave, it is minor but noticeable. Also it seems like the lather is a bit harder to rinse off after the shave. This may be due to the thick style lather that I prefer, but I don't have as much problems rinsing the other hard soaps in my rotation.

I'm glad to see that your shaves keep improving. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to do the Item of the Week threads, it gives us a chance to bat around tips on different products on a short term basis.

I apply lots of soap with all of my shave sticks. I like to have my beard area fairly white before I begin lathering with a brush.

I left the foil on and found that the stick kind of stabilizes in the base. Just don't mess with it or it will come loose. Also, not sure if you have seen this yet but here is the link to the "item of the week" list. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/334007-Item-of-the-Week-Schedule

Thanks to both Jayk & blzrfn for the tips. I had not "picked at it" so I should be good in a day or two.
I'll hunt down the next item (After Shave) - have the Tabac and the '89...
Hope I don't see "clam shell you sharpened yourself' or "Broken wine bottle" on the list of TBD...

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks to both Jayk & blzrfn for the tips. I had not "picked at it" so I should be good in a day or two.
I'll hunt down the next item (After Shave) - have the Tabac and the '89...
Hope I don't see "clam shell you sharpened yourself' or "Broken wine bottle" on the list of TBD...

:yikes: Me too. I'll do my best to steer away from those ideas.

Just bought a stick, I had a small sample and finished it off. When one came up for sale in Australia I had to get it

Fourth shave with La Toja. The stick is now in prime shape, very easy to get a good amount of soap to the face and to turn that soap into thick protective and slippery lather. Today I used a BRW Bullmastiff Deluxe with a LC NEW head, Treet Durasharp (1) and my very enjoyable Semogue 620. AS was Castle & Forbes Lavender. A thoroughly enjoyable shave!
Bosse

Back on track. I peeled the foil off the stick today to see if it locks into the base a bit more. I used a Merker 37C with a feather (1 or 2 shaves on it), a Semogue 1460, and Portland general store Whiskey AS. I tried soaking the stick in the water for about 30-45 seconds and found it much smoother to apply than just dipping it in water. Nice think lather and another great shave.

Fourth shave last night. Think I have to agree that constant use gets the soap moving from stick to face more readily.
The lather was just right, and plenty of it for a 3 pass shave with an 18mm TGN finest badger.
My only problem was forgetting how to shave with an Old Type short comb.

Top Bottom