What's new

Keeping track of number of shaves per blade

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A paper journal and a magnet to keep blades not loaded in a razor. It got tricky when I was trying out many blades but nowadays I have a maximum of 2 DE blades in usage. I try to shave with every razor 3 times in a row and keep the blade loaded in that one razor.

My journal simply reads:

Date Razor Soap/Cream Blade (usage) Result

07/21 Fatip Open Comb Slant, Lea Menthol, Personna Platinum (2), DFS
This is MUCH too simple my friend. Here in the USA we need to keep layers of lazy people werkin' at nuthin' all day!

I have one Butler to load, one Butler to record, and one Butler to remove and dry the blade.

As an alternative to a marker pen you could use a metal scribe.
IMG_20230731_124010.jpg

You could use a storage box with compartments. Put each blade into the compartment representing the number of shaves.
IMG_20230731_131612.jpg

If you want something nicer, mount a wooden equivalent on the wall. Even this would look okay if you stained it. Use square holes for blade counts, bigger holes for fresh packs of blades.
IMG_20230731_132852.jpg

Overkill? Maybe. But why not?

Here is a snip of my ShaveJournal.xlsx file. I have a formula that parses the blade "Use" column to look for an asterisk (*) that signifies its last use, which counts my blades per year. The "Days" column specifies how many in between shaves. Then some simple formulas to calculate other useless stats. It is fun that way.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.52.16 AM.png

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is a simple system for counting blade uses that I just made up for amount of times I use my One blade core. I use this razor for shaving my back neck area because it's so mild but seldom keep track of blade use. The cap is from a small Gatoraid bottle and works good enough for a counter + a fine Sharpe permanant ink pen to mark #'s and lines.
Blade counter, Gatoraid small bottle cap. .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Dots with a black Sharpie marker pen. Magnets to stick them to the inside back of the bathroom cabinet between shaves, once they have dried.

Top Bottom