What's new

Keeping track of number of shaves per blade

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I never take a blade beyond three shaves, or have more than one blade in rotation. After each shave I remove the blade from the razor give it a quick clean. Then pat it dry, put a dot on the wrapper and set the blade on top.

lasta

Blade Biter
I use an excel sheet. Old fashioned, I know.
1690122723978.png

I know it sounds silly but I've kept a spreadsheet of all my shaves since I converted to traditional shaving several months ago. I recorded which razor I used, which blade, how many shaves on it, what brush, what soap or cream and then a sentence or two summing up the shave.
Yeah, it's dumb. But I enjoy it. And sometimes the information is helpful with purchases.

I have a shelf I keep a few things on. One is an old soap tub that holds my blades. I keep one of each in my inventory, some used, some new. I hang a pencil on that shelf and once used, I mark a line on the paper. Most do not get a 4th line. The exception is the Astra SP and GSB. They can go 7 or 8.

IMG_0653.jpegIMG_0654.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used dice(careful when cleaning up around them:laugh:), fine sharpie marker on stickers on the cupboard door to sharpie mark the blade it's self. The best one I came up with was milk jug caps and just make a dial #1 to 10 and they stay put for accuracy also, they are mainly meant for my 8 different injectors I use.
When retired watching TV and bored I would mark out the caps and took 10 minutes per cap.
Blade counting can help a person keep track and when a blade should be nearing it's life cycle by using averages for better shaves & less blade waste IMO even if they only cost $.16 per blade.
Certain blades never go past average designated # for it usually and then tossed.
If your only using a blade once it does not make sense to use tracking of uses but it's wasteful for one use IMO!
(Some old archived photo's on systems I still use to count blade uses.)
Blade counter 1.0 (2).jpg
Blade counter 2.0 (2).jpg
Blade counter 3.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
My blade of choice is the Feather. They are wonderfully sharp, but only last about a week. Second option is the Schick Injector. Not quite as exotic, but the razor never clogs, and the blades seem to last forever. Objectively, probably the best razor I've used.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use my DE blades one at a time. The majority of times I aim for seven shaves per blade. I don’t worry about which edge either. I just use the blade for seven shaves starting from Monday morning and finishing on Sunday morning. I don’t like the idea of having used blades stashed around the bathroom. Too much to worry about with grandkids now. I just use one blade for seven shaves and then toss it in the blade bank and break out another blade.

I have used dice(careful when cleaning up around them:laugh:), fine sharpie marker on stickers on the cupboard door to sharpie mark the blade it's self. The best one I came up with was milk jug caps and just make a dial #1 to 10 and they stay put for accuracy also, they are mainly meant for my 8 different injectors I use.
When retired watching TV and bored I would mark out the caps and took 10 minutes per cap.
Blade counting can help a person keep track and when a blade should be nearing it's life cycle by using averages for better shaves & less blade waste IMO even if they only cost $.16 per blade.
Certain blades never go past average designated # for it usually and then tossed.
If your only using a blade once it does not make sense to use tracking of uses but it's wasteful for one use IMO!
(Some old archived photo's on systems I still use to count blade uses.)
View attachment 1690996 View attachment 1690997 View attachment 1690998
Have some great shaves!
This is very useful and imaginative, although the inside of your medicine cabinet closely resembles the instrument panel of a Lockheed P38.

Thanks!

I have a list of my current rotation razors on a note app on my phone. I also specify what blade is loaded and what shave it's on. Otherwise, I'd completely lose track I'm sure.

Top Bottom