What's new

Karve Overlander question

I have an aluminum Overlander and it is soooo close to being Goldilocks, if not for one small problem...

When I shave under my nose, I go across the grain and the fact that the base and cap are so much wider than the blade makes it difficult not to miss spots:

ol.jpg

Does anyone know if the stainless version is the same? A millimeter or two off each side and this razor would be perfect, IMHO. And no, unfortunately I dont have the tools or expertise to grind the edges down :(

I have an aluminum Overlander and it is soooo close to being Goldilocks, if not for one small problem...

I feel the exact same way.

If the Overlander had Lupo-style cutouts for the empty space then it would definitely be the perfect razor for me:

proxy.php

I ordered the Karve Bison specifically for its Henson-style design and I'm hoping it shaves similar to the Overlander.

You can see the Bison plate design in this post but it doesn't seem to be as aggressively close to the blade edge as the Lupo's design.

If the Overlander had Lupo-style cutouts for the empty space then it would definitely be the perfect razor for me:

I ordered the Karve Bison specifically for its Henson-style design and I'm hoping it shaves similar to the Overlander.

You can see the Bison plate design in this post but it doesn't seem to be as aggressively close to the blade edge as the Lupo's design.
I just read the Bison thread and I am interested, but I want to wait to see a picture from the top of the razor with a blade in.

Outlander ( brass) is a great daily driver but for me, to mild and also did not like the spaces on the edge.
Aluminium's (to each their own), I can shave with them but the lack of weight takes away my enjoyment and connection (YMMV).
Now...yes the lupo and g.c (all) are super great tools...for the money...hard to beat..

BFX

I recently ordered a stainless Overlander with the full knowledge the safety bar extends the distance of the blade tabs. This after choosing the Lupo over the Game Changer over the last year because I could shave around my nostrils easier -- due to the Lupo's notches. But I've learned those notches don't make a good shave great or even easier.

What I've learned is pressing the tip of my nose upward while stretching my lip downward over my upper teeth makes a perfect runway for the center downward stroke. Then pressing the tip of my nose upward and to the right and to the left makes shaving diagonally inside of the septum so easy that the Lupo's notches don't even come into play. Moreover, I even have more control which aleviates the chance of the inadvertant nick. This has now become my opening salvo for every shave. I'm just astonished that a minor change of technique made that part of my shave not only easier but better. Obviously this is my shave ... so YMMV and a different tool may be necessary.

That's what you get with most razors that have the wider cap to cover the blade tabs.

Most of the modern razors that I've used (Game Changers, Timeless, Overlander, among others) are like that, and I am able to get every trace of whisker under my nose.

I just angle the razor and shave ATG until the corner of the razor just enters my nostril.

It works, so don't give up on Goldilocks just yet.

Karve CB had a bad rap with head shavers due to the full tab exposure.

The wide-body top cap was made later.

The Shave angle (ride the cap) didn’t agree with everyone and the large safety guards were a bit off.

He addressed all of it in the Overlander. Though a bit too mild for some… is a stiff blade, no fuss shaver.

Can I get closer shaves, almost without question. Can I find an easier razor to shave with daily, not so far.

It is the 4 cylinder Honda Accord of razors for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I stop fussing with it.... and I use my Claymore Evolution around my nose for every shave... the blade ends are very near the ends of the base and top plates.... I have a couple whiskers that grow extra close to the side of my nose... the whiskers inside my nostrils aren't the problem.

I know this solution might not appeal to anyone else.... but it has enabled me to enjoy a whole host of razors I might have dismissed because of my own problem whiskers. Cleaning up the Claymore Evo takes very little time. It's bulletproof.

Another option, which I use, is either a Gillette Fusion or Skinguard (boo, hiss, lol) right up under the nostrils and bridge after I finish. That area's REAL EASY to get cuts and nicks by trying for BBS with a DE or SE razor ...

Overlanders are a top razor for me but I enjoy the Lupo as well. A 72 (maybe the 58 for a milder feel )Lupo might be right up your alley. It offers the clearance you are looking for.

proxy.php

Shaves just like the Overlander.
Bison and Overlander are my top razors.
Hard to pick one over the other.

I go atg in that area and the problem is solved. I also appreciate the blade tabs covered. win win for me.
Eggzactly! Posters suggesting buying more gear to address less than 1 cm^2, are overlooking the obvious ...

The Overlander is an ATG champ. Even if ATG isn't his thing the, OP should consider it for those few errant hairs he might miss.

... Thom

Top Bottom