What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I haven't caught onto the brush nuances yet. I only own 4 and the most expensive one is a Semogue boar brush that cost $25. Honestly I usually just grab the $3 synthetic that is always sitting in my shave mug filled with an Arko frankensoap and load it with whatever I want to use that day.

What am I missing? It is true some of the photos members pose here have beautiful looking brushes.
For me, it’s all about face feel. I don’t splay the brush, so the tips are always making contact with my skin. I like them to be smooth and soft. Boar gives me brush burn that I can feel with the aftershave.

You probably aren’t missing anything. If what you have works and you like it, call it a win and buy your next brush in 25 years after your current one dies.

For me, it’s all about face feel. I don’t splay the brush, so the tips are always making contact with my skin. I like them to be smooth and soft. Boar gives me brush burn that I can feel with the aftershave.

You probably aren’t missing anything. If what you have works and you like it, call it a win and buy your next brush in 25 years after your current one dies.
I have been a synthetic brush person since I started out, but because of @Guido75's gift to me I have been using boar brushes for the last week and half and yeah they are scratchier, but once they break in they are much better. Also they do not leave my bathroom like I have just repainted it after I have shaved. Will I become a boar guy......probably not, but a venture into the piggy land here and there has never hurt anyone.

Jay21

I only have 4 brushes as well.

Omega Evo Sapphire Blue
Hawkins & Brimble
Connaught Omega Jade
ESC Ultimate Handle with a Shavemac Two-band Silvertip, reknotted by Rudy Vey
I am currently going down the brush rabbit hole. I’m done with razors and I’d sell a bunch if I didn’t hate selling stuff on the internet so much. I’m having fun with different soaps and learning lathering techniques.

I am currently going down the brush rabbit hole. I’m done with razors and I’d sell a bunch if I didn’t hate selling stuff on the internet so much. I’m having fun with different soaps and learning lathering techniques.
I am currently in GRUME and I just checked out more boar brushes and added them to my wish list. I am living a dangerous life.
Live Dangerously Bad Ass GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Gossip Zip It GIF by TRT

I am not mentioning brushes at all… **cough cough** @Balin
Your subtlety has been noted! 🤣

Brushes are my favourite part of the shave! It could be due to the fact that they are the least likely to hurt you during a shave 😆.
What am I missing? It is true some of the photos members pose here have beautiful looking brushes.
You need to read my journal from the beginning and @AimlessWanderer 's too!

The secrets will be revealed 😉.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had one brush when I showed up here on B&B on March 1st, 2022.... Brushes and soaps were my first interest here as I knew nothing about either. It took me a while to learn the most pleasant face feel for my tastes.. I ended up with 23 brushes in fairly short order.

I'm down to 8 badgers I use in rotation: 5 for lathering; 3 for applying pre-shave. I also have 4 Zenith boars I take out of storage for DecemBOAR. I had three synth brushes left at the end of my brush journey.... and I let my wife choose two of them... @Eric_75 got a very nice brush... the one she didn't choose as she said... I only want two. She has a Rudy Vey crafted Amboyna burl handle/XL STF and a FB buy, an Alpha Shaving G"D", Steve called it at the time. Eric, got the blue (I think... could be purple, I don't remember.) Omega Evo Original.

Jay21

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 matte Plissoft
Soap: Arko, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Skin Bracer and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

I haven't used the Game Changer in months, so I decided it was time. It was a very pleasant shave. There was a subtle, but noticeable, bump in efficiency from the Baili TTO, yielding a DFS that was an upgrade from yesterday's CCS. Arko was splendid and my skin is calm as can be. A splash of Skin Bracer yielded no offenses.

I have to say that I love many things about shaving, but also today's shave. I love Skin Bracer in the summer. It's very refreshing. I love Arko. It simply works and smells great. I also love making my own lather now and spreading it on my face. I hated that aspect before. As it turns out, I didn't care for the extra step of bowl lathering. Lathering in the mug is quicker and somehow more enjoyable. It uses up more soap, but who cares at this point. If I wanted to save money, I'd shave with Bic or Shick disposables and Walmart Equate foam like I used to do in my younger years.

Top Bottom