Why do I keep seeing this in posts... It's irritating

Screenshot_20231108_124300.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Why do I keep seeing this in posts... It's irritating

View attachment 1745257
Because... ads

I understand that ads are needed to run this wonderful site. Getting to use it for free is a huge benefit. But there is a fine line that has recently been crossed where the site is now virtually unusable with the intrusive ads. I can't use the site on my phone because ads block the whole screen and then actually activate full screen videos on their own. I have to minimize this video, and this process often causes the page to crash and reload. It's getting just as bad on my computer. I have an i7 4-core processor and 16 GB of ram. It's a new computer. With all the new ads, the sites slows to a crawl. There is a severe lag when I type.

I support the use of ads to make the site free. I'm not anti-ads. I'm against ads that make the site virtually unusable. If the ads didn't make the site crawl or prevent me from using my phone, I'd be more than happy for the ads to run along side the content I want to view.

So are we.
You're preaching to the choir.

First of all Not A Complaint !!

I have stayed quiet and tried to not speak in this section as I have been extremely lucky with my usage choices so far , but ,

I know its been said to get a "paid account" which is fine ( for repeat users ) , My Fear is that with the way it is becoming for some , will "Scare Away " NEW Users !! .. People who are just now discovering this place and may not have signed up for an account yet or ( Lurkers ) will get fed up with it and think it may be better to just go somewhere else.. I mean the ads are also showing up even if you are NOT signed in !! Testing the site with New / Different browsers and not even signed into an account are showing ads which should be unacceptable to the powers that be ( above most of our paygrades) because it will Scare away potential NEW members / traffic which is something all sites / forums depend on to keep them going.... If I were someone who had never been here before and was new to the " hobbies " practiced here in the various different sections and I were curious about something and I were to type my query into any of the various search engines and were to be directed to this site and were to be bombarded by screen blocking ads , I would just hit my back button and return to my search and go to a Different Site to get my answer.... I would also remember that the next time I did a search and be like " well I'm not gonna look there because of all the ads " I mean how many times have any of us typed in a question or something on a search engine and the site that pops up that we go to has ridiculous ads and we go back and go to another site?? I know for one I have done that with previous searches and I remember that and don't use the site that popped up again... If that were to happen here with new people then we could have just lost potential members.... I know as its been said " we're preaching to the choir " but that is just my potential fear for here.. I don't want to see us losing potential members due to something as silly as pop ups !!!! Okay I'm gonna step down from the soap box now......

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
First of all Not A Complaint !!

I have stayed quiet and tried to not speak in this section as I have been extremely lucky with my usage choices so far , but ,

I know its been said to get a "paid account" which is fine ( for repeat users ) , My Fear is that with the way it is becoming for some , will "Scare Away " NEW Users !! .. People who are just now discovering this place and may not have signed up for an account yet or ( Lurkers ) will get fed up with it and think it may be better to just go somewhere else.. I mean the ads are also showing up even if you are NOT signed in !! Testing the site with New / Different browsers and not even signed into an account are showing ads which should be unacceptable to the powers that be ( above most of our paygrades) because it will Scare away potential NEW members / traffic which is something all sites / forums depend on to keep them going.... If I were someone who had never been here before and was new to the " hobbies " practiced here in the various different sections and I were curious about something and I were to type my query into any of the various search engines and were to be directed to this site and were to be bombarded by screen blocking ads , I would just hit my back button and return to my search and go to a Different Site to get my answer.... I would also remember that the next time I did a search and be like " well I'm not gonna look there because of all the ads " I mean how many times have any of us typed in a question or something on a search engine and the site that pops up that we go to has ridiculous ads and we go back and go to another site?? I know for one I have done that with previous searches and I remember that and don't use the site that popped up again... If that were to happen here with new people then we could have just lost potential members.... I know as its been said " we're preaching to the choir " but that is just my potential fear for here.. I don't want to see us losing potential members due to something as silly as pop ups !!!! Okay I'm gonna step down from the soap box now......
Believe me, we have discussed these very points ad infinitum.
We here have the same thoughts and the same fears.
The point has been raised, and really...
That's about all we can do about it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Not sure why this ad is even allowed on the B&B forum, it is called Swarmify and it does nothing but drive people away from this site IMO. It follows me every where on B&B like a predator ad. It offers nothing and you can not delete it to move on.
I'm using Windows 11, brand new HP laptop and my Security windows software is working and no known viruses. Other sites I visit it does not follow other than B&B so I think you have a problem that should be looked at.
Swarmify ad.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not sure why this ad is even allowed on the B&B forum, it is called Swarmify and it does nothing but drive people away from this site IMO. It follows me every where on B&B like a predator ad. It offers nothing and you can not delete it to move on.
I'm using Windows 11, brand new HP laptop and my Security windows software is working and no known viruses. Other sites I visit it does not follow other than B&B so I think you have a problem that should be looked at.
View attachment 1749585
Any information on it would be helpful.
Is it by a particular company or about a particular product?
If it isn't then it's not an ad, and anything we can get to help identify anything at all about it would be helpful.
If it is an ad, we need to know product, brand, company or other identifying information so it can be reported to the ad company.

Any information on it would be helpful.
Is it by a particular company or about a particular product?
If it isn't then it's not an ad, and anything we can get to help identify anything at all about it would be helpful.
If it is an ad, we need to know product, brand, company or other identifying information so it can be reported to the ad company.
thats the problem with a lot of the ads though , they are blank so there is no way to tell what ad it is... Maybe right clicking the ad would work to help identify what they are as I use particular stuff to block them now.. I had to install so much that I had to switch to another browser to even use youtube because it locked me out of youtube... To those who still get ads it might help the powers that be if you could right click on the "ads" and then select inspect and see what it says in there.....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I decided to do some digging just for fun. I’m at work, it’s slow, so why not.

I looked at posting history of 4 members that have posted in this thread.

These 4 members are not contributors. These 4 members have posted in some way or another how the ads are bad (which BTW, no one disputes).

I went back to September this year and averaged their post count through the current date. It should be noted that November is not over, but I went ahead and divided by 3 anyway, the past 3 months. So these averages are likely to be higher by the end of November.

Member 1 - 31 posts per month average

Member 2 - 141 posts per month average (4.7ish a day)

Member 3 - 31 posts per month average

Member 4 - 167 posts per month average (5.56ish a day)

The ads are in no way an attempt to drive contributors…..but being a contributor is a good way to get rid of the ads as we have established.

Being a contributor at the minimum will cost you $0.07 per day. I rounded up.

These 4 members average roughly 370 posts on B&B per month together. Roughly 12 posts per day between these 4 members.

It would cost Member 1 $0.06 per post to not see an ad every time they posted

It would cost Member 2 $0.01 per post to not see an ad every time they posted

It would cost Member 3…the same as member 1 to not see an ad every time they posted

It would cost Member 4 $0.01 (actually almost less than a penny) per post to not see an ad every time they posted

I just don’t understand how folks that visit a website as often as some of ya’ll do will subject yourself to these infuriating ads instead of forking out 25 bucks to get rid of the headache.

These 4 members above have posted in this thread 19 times collectively. They have fought through the ads, had to restart their systems, close their browser, clear cache, clear cookies, clear history, try new browsers, download ad blockers, take the night off and try again the next day, have went through all that just to make their way to this thread to post 19 times how the ads are affecting them and others.….

……instead of just becoming a contributor for 7 cents a day and enjoying B&B. The place they visit enough to make 12 other posts per day (presumably going through the same internet warfare as the preceding paragraph).

I just think that is crazy.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is what it has dwarfed into and could get a lot worse!
B&B ad problems.jpg

Good luck with this one!

I decided to do some digging just for fun. I’m at work, it’s slow, so why not.

I looked at posting history of 4 members that have posted in this thread.

These 4 members are not contributors. These 4 members have posted in some way or another how the ads are bad (which BTW, no one disputes).

I went back to September this year and averaged their post count through the current date. It should be noted that November is not over, but I went ahead and divided by 3 anyway, the past 3 months. So these averages are likely to be higher by the end of November.

Member 1 - 31 posts per month average

Member 2 - 141 posts per month average (4.7ish a day)

Member 3 - 31 posts per month average

Member 4 - 167 posts per month average (5.56ish a day)

The ads are in no way an attempt to drive contributors…..but being a contributor is a good way to get rid of the ads as we have established.

Being a contributor at the minimum will cost you $0.07 per day. I rounded up.

These 4 members average roughly 370 posts on B&B per month together. Roughly 12 posts per day between these 4 members.

It would cost Member 1 $0.06 per post to not see an ad every time they posted

It would cost Member 2 $0.01 per post to not see an ad every time they posted

It would cost Member 3…the same as member 1 to not see an ad every time they posted

It would cost Member 4 $0.01 (actually almost less than a penny) per post to not see an ad every time they posted

I just don’t understand how folks that visit a website as often as some of ya’ll do will subject yourself to these infuriating ads instead of forking out 25 bucks to get rid of the headache.

These 4 members above have posted in this thread 19 times collectively. They have fought through the ads, had to restart their systems, close their browser, clear cache, clear cookies, clear history, try new browsers, download ad blockers, take the night off and try again the next day, have went through all that just to make their way to this thread to post 19 times how the ads are affecting them and others.….

……instead of just becoming a contributor for 7 cents a day and enjoying B&B. The place they visit enough to make 12 other posts per day (presumably going through the same internet warfare as the preceding paragraph).

I just think that is crazy.
Well like I said I am currently not affected too badly and didnt say the ads were bad ( although they are ) nor did I bad mouth in any way about the ads ( even though they are very annoying for lots of people ) , and personally I dont care about ads myself as I had stated earlier.. I am only concerned about the people who May AND Probably Will be driven away possibly even before becoming a member here.. Simply due to the fact that the ads are even affecting people who are just Visitors.. I know that if I personally go to a site that I am Not a member of and get bombarded by ads which prevent me from having an enjoyable experience when I first visit a site then I personally am less likely to return to said site... It in NO way has to do with money in ANY way.... I agree that contributing is a Great Way to help support a site that one likes but noobies /Newbies that have just visited and not joined yet really have no reason to become a contributor before they even join and / or decide that they even want to be a member or whether they even like it here yet... Those are the people I am worried about because "predatory " ads ( which may be too harsh of a term ) may affect their decision of joining.. Personally I Hope they decide to join !! Anyone who is new can probably be sure that the ads will NOT be as bad (as they are for some currently ) always.. I believe that the owners will eventually be able to get the ad companies to either "slack up" or that the owners will switch to a less intrusive ad company...

Some here are just frustrated by the situation and just need to vent ...I think they would also agree with me when I say that we know the staff can't do anything about it and that they ( The staff ) suffer and are irritated just like others are due to this situation... I say just hang in there and try some other browsers that are out there because there are some that will keep the ads at bay.. I Will Not say in the open forum what some of the browsers are that make it easier to surf this site because I do NOT want the AD company people to know which ones as they could then try to find a way to make those browsers ineffective at blocking said ads.. I will tell some in a PM ( that I know , because I dont want some person who may secretly work for the ad company to inadvertently find out ) what the ones are that I personally use and that seem to work for me... I also need to say I am sorry to any Apple Users because I can not help you currently because I have not went to this site on any of my Apple products !!!! I will say though that There are several that seem to work for Windows 10 / 11 and for Android based systems and I know that there are some that I use that also have been made to work on apple products....

Here is what it has dwarfed into and could get a lot worse!
View attachment 1749652
Good luck with this one!
Did you try right clicking on the blank one and at the bottom of the list click on inspect ?? You could then let us know what it says about the ad and then you could let @luvmysuper know about the info he requested so he could forward it to the owners and then maybe they could send a request to the ad company about it since then they would know specific ads that are
interfering with this website ??

Or I could just say F* it and just stop visiting. That's free, doesn't take up any time, and stress free.

No you dont need to do that. it will get better, im pretty sure at some point......

I don't plan too. I don't even know who that person was talking about but it rubbed me the wrong way.

I've been on this site for almost a year now. I was thinking of becoming a contributor at the one year mark before the adware went crazy. It's really turned me off. I used to look at new threads and now just sort of just stick with a few threads I've posted in before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom