So come on and let me know
Should I cool it, or should I blow?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kix

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Or I could just say F* it and just stop visiting. That's free, doesn't take up any time, and stress free.
You could do that and have no argument from anyone. It is entirely your call.
Everyone has to make the decision on if the experience is more or less value than the frustration of the ads.
As mentioned, many, many, many, many many, many times - the options are limited.
One can become a contributor, one can install ad blocking software, or one can stop visiting - and it is up to each individual to decide which is best for them.
Personally, I wouldn't blame someone at all if they just gave up and called it quits, but whether they do or not has absolutely no impact on our ability to do anything about the ads.

FYI, I had the following ‘ad’ quite frequently this week. I don’t know if it breaches the agreement between B&B and the ad provider about the content they can display. This is not an advert but rather politically-charged misinformation about the ongoing conflict.

Appreciate there may not be anything you can do, but wanted to flag it since B&B is always so careful about this sort of thing.

5C2D1AF8-4D6C-4E89-A873-5D69D49B7F64.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
FYI, I had the following ‘ad’ quite frequently this week. I don’t know if it breaches the agreement between B&B and the ad provider about the content they can display. This is not an advert but rather politically-charged misinformation about the ongoing conflict.

Appreciate there may not be anything you can do, but wanted to flag it since B&B is always so careful about this sort of thing.

View attachment 1749737
Thanks

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with the "just pay the contributor fee to get rid of ads" recommendation. Can the parent of the child screaming and melting down in the middle of the store afford the toy the child is demanding? Probably, but no one will disagree with the parent for refusing to purchase it. Can I afford the ad-free versions of Hulu and Disney+? Yes, but the ads don't prevent me from watching and enjoying the content. Plus, sometimes the ads are for products I might actually like and I may buy them.

Likewise, most of the websites I visit on a daily basis for news, sports, and social interaction have numerous ads. However, they don't slow the sites to a crawl and don't block the text entry boxes. They don't deactivate the textbox and lose my cursor until I click on the ad or click to remove it. They don't crash the page and cause it to reload. The websites still function properly and, more importantly, I know exactly what products the ads are communicating. Sometimes, like the streaming services, they are interesting and I may go look up that product. Here, I'm often confused what the ads are communicating, and the ability to use the website is greatly impacted, not for the better, either.

Some people are missing the point. I'm not anti-ads. I understand the importance of ad revenue. Sometimes I like the products that are being advertised, so the ads are clearly working and literally everyone wins. But, no, I'm not buying the child having a tantrum a new toy just to calm them down. I'd rather talk to the child and make them understand why they are having the tantrum and how to prevent future ones.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with the "just pay the contributor fee to get rid of ads" recommendation. Can the parent of the child screaming and melting down in the middle of the store afford the toy the child is demanding? Probably, but no one will disagree with the parent for refusing to purchase it. Can I afford the ad-free versions of Hulu and Disney+? Yes, but the ads don't prevent me from watching and enjoying the content. Plus, sometimes the ads are for products I might actually like and I may buy them.

Likewise, most of the websites I visit on a daily basis for news, sports, and social interaction have numerous ads. However, they don't slow the sites to a crawl and don't block the text entry boxes. They don't deactivate the textbox and lose my cursor until I click on the ad or click to remove it. They don't crash the page and cause it to reload. The websites still function properly and, more importantly, I know exactly what products the ads are communicating. Sometimes, like the streaming services, they are interesting and I may go look up that product. Here, I'm often confused what the ads are communicating, and the ability to use the website is greatly impacted, not for the better, either.

Some people are missing the point. I'm not anti-ads. I understand the importance of ad revenue. Sometimes I like the products that are being advertised, so the ads are clearly working and literally everyone wins. But, no, I'm not buying the child having a tantrum a new toy just to calm them down. I'd rather talk to the child and make them understand why they are having the tantrum and how to prevent future ones.
Don't visit the site, get an ad blocker, become a contributor.
These are your options. It is what it is. Decide which one suits you best and do it.
No amount of complaining or whining or posts in this thread is going to change that, that should be abundantly clear to anyone who has posted in this thread.

I wonder how many more people would contribute if the problem was fixed?

All of this doesn’t inspire confidence.
Having to deal with these intrusive, annoying ads didn't inspire the people complaining in this thread to contribute, so what makes you think they would do so if there were no ads? They can't even be bothered to install a free ad blocker for Christ sake.
We're not trying to inspire confidence, we're telling you, straight up, this is it.
You have essentially three options:
Don't visit the site
Get an ad blocker
Become a Contributor

These are your options. It is what it is. Decide which one suits you best and do it.
No amount of complaining or whining or posts in this thread is going to change that, that should be abundantly clear to anyone who has posted in this thread.

Having to deal with these intrusive, annoying ads didn't inspire the people complaining in this thread to contribute, so what makes you think they would do so if there were no ads? They can't even be bothered to install a free ad blocker for Christ sake.
We're not trying to inspire confidence, we're telling you, straight up, this is it.
You have essentially three options:
Don't visit the site
Get an ad blocker
Become a Contributor
You are missing the point. There are plenty of ad services out there that work just fine and don't negatively impact the website. The ad service used by this website is subpar. There is big money in advertising and plenty of ad services to choose from. The insistence on using this particular one and then being dismissive to complaints isn't a very good look.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You are missing the point. There are plenty of ad services out there that work just fine and don't negatively impact the website. The ad service used by this website is subpar. There is big money in advertising and plenty of ad services to choose from. The insistence on using this particular one and then being dismissive to complaints isn't a very good look.
No, I'm afraid YOU are missing the point.
Because you won't or just haven't read what has been posted before, I'll explain it again here.
We here at the site, that is - the team who has to respond to these threads and complaints, have absolutely nothing to do with the ad company selected that runs the ad sets you see.
That is a decision by the owners, and the owners are well aware of the problems that have been experienced, both actual and perceived.
We - the Team - have no power or ability to do anything about the ads.
The complaints, despite our ability to do nothing about them and our constantly having to explain over and over again that we can't do anything about it, and having to explain over and over again what peoples viable options are, become very tedious. I accept that - you have to live with the ads and we have to live with the people who won't help themselves.
So, I'll say to you once again what I said to you less than an hour ago above:

I am certain that the mods get quite frustrated with issues you can not control. However, since users have no direct communication with the owners/management, bringing issues up to the mods is the only conduit available to us for voicing our complaints to the "higher ups".

lasta

Blade Biter
Most modern ad systems are impervious to most ad blockers now. They've gotten that smart. I enjoy this site, and I'd like to use it daily. But asking me to pay to make this go away is unacceptable. It's a bad business model.

View attachment 1749874
Hi Jay,

UBlock is a pretty powerful tool! With element picker (and precise clicking!), you could essentially block the entire ad part from ever showing up!

A quick advanced user input of something like "src="/forum/styles/badgerandblade/xenforo/logo.png" and you could get rid of the B&B logo as well! They are semi permanent. You could right click (the troubling part) -> inspect -> and copy/paste that to the Ublock My Filter List.

I don't see ads on B&B, but for other frequent sites, it's literally a 2 minute job to clean it up permanently.

Hell, I have the entire
1700237509669.png
blocked! Because where I live, it does nothing but slow a website down.

Check this out:

1700237732516.png

1700237760997.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kix

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
B&B must be making money off me for the amount of ads I have to go through to make posting(Stubborn fool). Pop up ads, top advertisements, bottom advertisements and now some Predator ad that roams around annoying folks to leave the site.:cursing:
Not sure that is a good formula for success of a forum but I will give it a few days to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom