What's new

Is a Lupo 95 aggressive enough for me?

I'm cutting down on my razors, and thinking about purchasing a Lupo 95. I know it seems contradictory, but hear me out.

I like aggressive razors. Right now I rotate through an ATT SE2, Karve CB F plate, and a Timeless Bronze 78. I had an ATT G1 in there, but it just doesn't shave close enough for me. I like the Timeless Bronze, but there is something about it I just don't love. It's efficient and aggressive enough, but I think there is something about the ergonomics that just doesn't do it for me. In the Karve, I have all the plates except G. I never go below D anymore, and I find using the F plate gives me that little bit more closeness on the shave.

So why a Lupo? I'm looking to go to one DE razor. I know, it seems crazy. However, I'm tired of the rotation. I will never give up my ATT SE2 or SE1 because it is so efficient and aggressive, and it is a totally different shaving experience (to me) than any DE razor. The only thing that might happen down the road is replacing it with another AC razor that shaves as close but is more pleasurable to use, for whatever reason. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

For reference, I typically shave every 5 days, sometimes 4. I find that no matter how close the shave feels, I get to 5 days much easier when I go from a Karve D plate to an F plate. When I use my ATT SE, I always get to 5 days. By that I mean without neck itching and irritation from the long whiskers. For those of you who have whiskers that grow in a similar fasion as mine, you know what I mean.

So the questions are: How does the Lupo compare to a Karve or Timeless Bronze? Has anyone compared the Lupo 95 to a Karve? If so, what plate came close regarding an efficient, close, long lasting shave? Are there any other SS DE razors that you think would do the job for me?

Reactions: Kix
The Lupo .95 open comb might satisfy you. After reading your post, I suggest you consider the Rex Envoy or the Muhle R41. Or the Blackland Blackbird if you want to spend that much. I have those 3, I sold my Lupo .95 and Karve CB-F.

If AC is your razor of choice, I would look at the Asylum RX V2. The thicker blade could have something to do with no itch compare to thinner de blade. I find thicker blade format shaves kinder to my skin

Put a Maggard’s MR3 handle on your ATT SE-2 head a la @Tokyospike and voila! Or get an open comb G plate for your Karve Chris Bradley?
Why am I changing handles on my ATT? I'm perfectly happy with it as is.
If AC is your razor of choice, I would look at the Asylum RX V2. The thicker blade could have something to do with no itch compare to thinner de blade. I find thicker blade format shaves kinder to my skin
AC is not my only razor of choice. I'm fine with my ATT. I'm looking to find "the one" DE razor. I like the change of format. I don't like changing razors within the same format.

Aggressive, Efficiency these are just buzzwords that mean basically nothing. You just like obsessing about razors. Nothing wrong with that but of all the razors mentioned I guarantee if you were blindfolded and someone else shaved you, there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell you could name the razor.

Get a Henson +++ in Ti.

I am pretty sure that if you like "aggressive" razors that even the Henson +++ would not be to your liking. (I could be wrong, but in this case I rather doubt it.) I have the Lupo 95 (SB), R41, and the Blackbird and they all shave better for me than any Henson.

I have both a Karve G and a Lupo 95 open comb. I would say they are quite comparable in terms of efficiency and aggressiveness. The shaving experience, however, is quite different. The Karve is a heavy and solid feeling razor, while the Lupo is a smaller head and quite light and nimble. I shave every day, and both are used frequently.

I had a Karve "F" OC and found it too mild. The Lupo .95 OC was pif'd as well. The .84 JAWS gives just enough blade feel to stay for now.
Look at the Rocca or Ikon tech/tek for an aggressive razor.

I have the Lupo 95 SB and it would be a contender for you I believe. I don't have the other razors you have, so no way for me to compare. I shave daily so not sure how these perform over a 5 day period, but the Blackbird or R41 would be my picks over the Lupo if it were me. The Blackbird is my favorite razor so I may be a bit biased.

I had a Lupo .95 (DC actually ) and to me the extra blade feel did not equate to expected efficiency. Blackbird more efficient. Same blade feely category is an Ambassador or Envoy. Could always try the G plate or OC variant if you like CB experience.

I am pretty sure that if you like "aggressive" razors that even the Henson +++ would not be to your liking. (I could be wrong, but in this case I rather doubt it.) I have the Lupo 95 (SB), R41, and the Blackbird and they all shave better for me than any Henson.
Would you please tell me how you compare your Blackbird and Lupo .95? Thanks.

Top Bottom