What's new

Indulgence of the Night July 2008

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I just threw some char siu on the grill, to accompany my famous Peking noodles in XO sauce and potsticker dumplings. :w00t:

Never made it to the noodles, but the char siu was perfect and the potstickers were pronounced to be the best ever tasted by both Mrs. "Never complement your husband" Ouch and Little "I'm a tougher critic than mom" Ouch.

Proof? I assembled a plate to photograph, and by the time I got the camera, they were gone. :001_rolle

Last night was at home with some friends. We watched the Indy Car race while eating Crab Legs (lots of em!), clams on the shell with a cajun sauce, wings and veggie tray. For drinks we stuck mostly to cheap beer (Pabst, Schaeffer). After eating, a few uf us enjoyed a Dewars on the rocks with an orange slice. Nice evening. It was pouring rain and we were outside under my covered porch eating, drinking and watching the race! It was priceless. Good friends, good food, cheap beer, and some scotch!

Saturday night was dinner at Thanh Long. Roasted Crab, Garlic Noodles and a bottle of Conundrem. I love this place.

Sunday I was able to squeeze in a Perdomo ESV '91 Natural and a few Guinness.

I just received word that my father's longtime boss and confidante has died. This gentleman was one of the most distinguished trauma surgeons in the world, but he was also perhaps the most sincere and generous person I've ever met, and we were so fortunate to know someone like him who did so much for our family.

As he was a graduate of UK Medical School, I think quietly raising a glass of Knob Creek Kentucky bourbon will be appropriate tonight.

*sigh*

ouch

Breakfast-

Back bay bayou buckwheat pancakes, a la Antoine. (Okay, Ian, what's the reference?) Real maple syrup.
Home made cheese blintzes with sour cream.
Mengyang Guoyan 7542 pu-erh. (Let's just say it's still a tad rough.)

Lunch-

Home made pizza
Sausage rolls
Trader Joe's Sumatra coffee (Hey, any port in a storm.)

Dinner-

Left over char siu and rice (Two out of three ain't bad.)

Awesome dinner at Momofuko Ssam (http://www.momofuku.com/ssam/default.asp) on 2nd Ave and E. 13 St in New York City. If you're in the area and haven't been, I highly recommend it. It's a little cramped inside, but the food is worth it!

Started with -
caraquet oysters (can) - kimchi consommé
jonah crab claws - yuzu mayonnaise
cured hamachi - edamame, horseradish, pea leaves
steam buns - pork belly, hoisin, cucumber, scallions - THE BEST!!!
benton’s smoky mountain country ham (tennessee)

Moved on to -
bev eggleston's pork shoulder steak - zucchini, buttermilk dressing
and
a skate fish that isn't on the online menu. It was broiled in a white wine sauce, but I forget what it was garnished with. Very good!

Dessert - at SWMBO and her mother's request -
blondie pie - with a cashew crust
rhubarb shortcake - kendall farm's creme fraiche
pistachio croustiallant - pineapple, malted chocolate

Washed it all down with Allagash white ale and Domaine Dupage. That last beer is billed as an ale but tasted like an awesome stout...

ouch

Awesome dinner at Momofuko

My wife dragged me there. I told her I would only go if I could say momofuko at least fifty times, and get an egg cream afterwards at Gem Spa on 2nd & St. Marks. It was pretty good. :tongue_sm

I'm minutes away from toasting the foot of my first Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon. (Thanks Matt!)

Sounds good to me...:wink:

proxy.php

Tim:
What bitters do you use in your Manhattans ?
I have Peychauds but see a lot of recipes with Angostura.
Which do you like best, how much of it do you use and why ??

The only indulgence for me today was 3.5 hours of yard work and then getting to come in to my 9 to 5.
Oh wait a minute.....I did have a bowl of strawberry mini wheats before heading out. :001_rolle

A dram of Bruichladdich 12 2nd Edition. As good as some of the finishes are, I'd love to see more straight Bourbon casked 'Laddie come down the pipe.

Tim:
What bitters do you use in your Manhattans ?
I have Peychauds but see a lot of recipes with Angostura.
Which do you like best, how much of it do you use and why ??

Honestly, that was first Manhattan I've ever had and I found out after I was about 2/3 of the way through it that it didn't actually have bitters. So I know nothing about them at all. What kind of flavor do the bitters add?

Honestly, that was first Manhattan I've ever had and I found out after I was about 2/3 of the way through it that it didn't actually have bitters. So I know nothing about them at all. What kind of flavor do the bitters add?

Dont know for sure.......its in the recipe so it must be there for a reason.
Ive never had one made by a professional so Ill have to experiment on my own.

A little INFO for ya

Oh.
Having one of Sir Jay's faves right now:

Dont know for sure.......its in the recipe so it must be there for a reason.
Ive never had one made by a professional so Ill have to experiment on my own.

A little INFO for ya

Oh.
Having one of Sir Jay's faves right now:

I have Angostura Bitters, never had the Peychauds. Bitters are making a comeback, probably due to the resurgence of cocktails. I'd like to pick up a few more, including an orange version.

Last night was a few beers from a local brewery...Devils Canyon Red Devil Rye IPA.

Despite clear skies and tolerable wind yesterday, I smoked my first cigar in my garage (just inside with the door open). It was great for several reasons:
  • While the heat and humidity were still stifling, the sun wasn't literally beating down on me and I could see the print on the pages of my book without glare and through non-squinted eyes.
  • The wind wasn't blowing the pages all over.
  • Again, due to the shelter, the wind wasn't blowing the smoke away as soon as it left my mouth. Instead, it hung for a few seconds before gently blowing out of the garage. This was key for two reasons. 1.) It looks cool :rolleyes:, 2.) The "external," i.e. smoke and aroma around you, is equally as important (if not more so) as the smoke that is drawn into the mouth.
  • Rain is no longer a deterrant.

The cigar was Flor de Oliva Robusto.

Top Bottom