What's new

Indulgence of the Night 11/27 - 12/3

Thanksgiving is over, but there is still room to fit that great drink, smoke, or meal. Share it here and make everyone else jealous.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This is a bit late, but for Thanksgiving dinner we had a bottle of Omni- a sparkling red (you read that right) from Australia. Talk about oddball. Turned out to be a much better choice than the ubiquitous Beaujolais.
Never had a sparkling red before- even Champagnes made from Pinot Noir are blanc de noir, white wine from red grapes. This one was a bubbly made from syrah (sorry, I just can't call it shiraz), and bottled by Hardy. It was a delightful change of pace, and perfectly suited to the traditional flavors of the holiday. Think I'll do it again next year. :thumbup1:

M

modern man

Interesting leftover

I call it a Hot Turkey Sandwich

Its turkey cooked in gravy on toast. May sound odd but very good

Had my folks and Bro over Fri. Night for Mexican food and margaritas.

After hours we huddled round the fire pit with some
Port from Blackstone
Acid Blondie for the Old Man and
LaRosaEspecial Lonsdale for moi.

We all played well together and No one was injured.

No photo, but I just finished a great meal (if I may toot my own horn)... I cooked boneless & skinless chicken breast in a homemade white whine & maple sauce, maple & butter glazed carrots, steamed brocolli with a havarti "sauce" (i.e. melted with a little butter) and some fantastic basmati rice.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch,

Your sparkling red reminds me that many years ago I had a brochure from the Taylor Wine Company in New York. In the brochure, the "Queen" of wines was "Champagne." The "King" of wines was "Sparkling Burgundy." Neither of the wines would have been made from vinifera grapes and, of course, they were both far removed from true champagne or burgundy.

Ken

ouch

No photo, but I just finished a great meal (if I may toot my own horn)... I cooked boneless & skinless chicken breast in a homemade white whine & maple sauce, maple & butter glazed carrots, steamed brocolli with a havarti "sauce" (i.e. melted with a little butter) and some fantastic basmati rice.

You know, I've made glazed carrots a million times, but it never dawned upon me to use maple syrup. Sounds great.:thumbup1:

Thanks fo the tip.

You know, I've made glazed carrots a million times, but it never dawned upon me to use maple syrup. Sounds great.:thumbup1:

Thanks fo the tip.
I typically use honey when I make glazed carrots - but I thought that I would try this and try to have the flavour of the carrots somewhat matching the flavour of the chicken (with the white wine and maple sauce sauce)

McClelland London Burley Blend in
Ser Jacopo Foeda....on the way home from work.

Evan Williams in a bucket - chilled
.....right now. :thumbup1:

thanks TimmyB :cool:

This is a bit late, but for Thanksgiving dinner we had a bottle of Omni- a sparkling red (you read that right) from Australia. Talk about oddball. Turned out to be a much better choice than the ubiquitous Beaujolais.
Never had a sparkling red before- even Champagnes made from Pinot Noir are blanc de noir, white wine from red grapes. This one was a bubbly made from syrah (sorry, I just can't call it shiraz), and bottled by Hardy. It was a delightful change of pace, and perfectly suited to the traditional flavors of the holiday. Think I'll do it again next year. :thumbup1:

That's mighty interesting. I had a Lucien Albrecht Pinot Gris, and a Tori Mor Oregon Pinot Noir. The Noir was great. The Gris was a fantastic wine, but maybe not the best match for Thanksgiving. A little to light and dry. I would probably go with a mildly sweet German next time, I think. Lucian Albrecht is a fantastic producer from Alsace, though, for very very reasonable prices. One of the best consistent wine values I know. Their gewurtzes, especially, are mighty nice.

Btw, it seems like I remember Hardy making a really nice tawny port, called Whisker's Blake. Not quite as good a Old Benson for an Australian tawny, but very good nonetheless, and, again, quite inexpensive.

-Mo

ouch

Mo- I agree with your assessment. The Alsatians are usually bone dry, while the Germans tend to be anywhere from semi sweet on up. The two areas, along with the Loire, are some of the greatest, if overlooked, whites on Earth.:drool:

Top Bottom