What's new

I'm tired of my crappy kitchen knifes

Just do a search on google, type in Best Kitchen Knives and start reading. You'll see Wusthof Classic, Henkel's higher end offerings and several others. I'd choose the Wustof Classic or Henkel's better knives.

Victorinox are likely your best value knife but don't expect them to be on par with the higher end Wusthof and Henkel's offerings as they aren't even close. They are functional and a good option if you're on a tight budget but they aren't all that impressive to me. They remind me of the plastic handled restaurant knives that we had at the restaurant I used to work at as a kid. I bought a set for a friend a while back as I knew they would be going in the dishwasher every time. I would have bought a couple Wusthof Classic knives instead but I couldn't bear to watch them be improperly cared for and destroyed. So overalll, they do work well and serve their purpose, so at least I have a decent knife to use at their house, after I sharpen it that is.

I'd tell you to visit some stores and handle the Wusthof and Henkel's knives but if you want to catch a Cyber Monday deal you likely don't have time to do that.
To each his own. For a chef's knife I'd take a victorinox over a wustof. In fact, I did.

I would also recommend the Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife. It's my primary workhorse knife. Good price, and the handle won't slip in your hand.

I see no one has mentioned Cutco. I bought some when a relative was selling them. I like them, and they have a 'free' sharpening service for the rest of my life.

https://www.cutco.com/#sm.001wn67bt11tydljuiv2j05nd25jl

He did say affordable. :laugh:

I have two knife blocks on my counter. One is a Wusthof set that I have had for going on 18 years, and the other is a Cutco set. I grab a Wusthof every time. I am very familiar with Cutco, I live less than 20 miles from the plant, a few friends work there, and my in-laws retired from there.(along with half of that side of the family still working there.) But to me, there are better knives out there, especially for the price. The steel doesn't hold an edge as long, and the handles aren't as comfortable as my Wusthofs.

I would add another vote to choosing Wusthof or Henkles, and following dfoulk's advice.

Last edited:
He did say affordable. :laugh:

I have two knife blocks on my counter. One is a Wusthof set that I have had for going on 18 years, and the other is a Cutco set. I grab a Wusthof every time. I am very familiar with Cutco, I live less than 20 miles from the plant, a few friends work there, and my in-laws retired from there.(along with half of that side of the family still working there.) But to me, there are better knives out there, especially for the price. The steel doesn't hold an edge as long, and the handles aren't as comfortable as my Wusthofs.

I would add another vote to choosing Wusthof or Henkles, and following dfoulk's advice.

Oops!:lol: I guess I overlooked that part lol. I'm going to have to look into these Wusthof now, since I have noticed my butcher knife getting a little dull.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Oops!:lol: I guess I overlooked that part lol. I'm going to have to look into these Wusthof now, since I have noticed my butcher knife getting a little dull.

I absolutely love mine. I actually use the 8" chefs knife for just about everything. Carving, peeling, dicing, you name it. It is very well balanced and holds a great edge. I'm pretty sure not on par with a fine Japanese sushi knife, but leagues above any of my Cutco.

As was stated earlier though, go for the classic line, not the cheap one. A little more money, but will serve you very well for a long time.

For an affordable knife I chose a Victorinox 8" chefs knife. My favorite kitchen knife is one I bought at a flea market for 8 bucks. All it says is Solingen brand.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Another very enthusiastic vote for Cutco. After staying at a friends and being blown away by the sharpness and feel of his Cutco knives, I soon after saw them on "How it's Made" and was sold. I slowly built up my set over a couple of years and could not be happier. They are as sharp as can be, and the lifetime warranty is good. I know they get a lot of flack here in the mess hall. Probably due to the stainless, the price, and their Avon lady business model. But I really do love them.

Help me figure this out. When the wife cooks i stay out of the kitchen. So i have no idea of the knifes she uses. I know she complains about not having a sharp knife so i gathered up all of our cheep knifes and had them sharpened. Guess they lasted about two uses.
I know the wife cuts up roast (pork and beef) chicken breasts once in a while but she never buy a whole chicken. Vegitables in our house is potatos, onion and carrots that go in a stew but thats about it. Bread is cut once or twice a year. Now she does make salsa a couple times a year so i guess there is some chopping going on as she dont like it blenderized.

So, what style of knifes should i buy? Thinking a 8" chef knife but what else? I just have no clue.
Help!

Help me figure this out. When the wife cooks i stay out of the kitchen. So i have no idea of the knifes she uses. I know she complains about not having a sharp knife so i gathered up all of our cheep knifes and had them sharpened. Guess they lasted about two uses.
I know the wife cuts up roast (pork and beef) chicken breasts once in a while but she never buy a whole chicken. Vegitables in our house is potatos, onion and carrots that go in a stew but thats about it. Bread is cut once or twice a year. Now she does make salsa a couple times a year so i guess there is some chopping going on as she dont like it blenderized.

So, what style of knifes should i buy? Thinking a 8" chef knife but what else? I just have no clue.
Help!

IMO an 8" or 10" chef's knife/gyuto and a 3.5" to 4.5" paring/petty knife are essentials. Add a 10" (8" is too short, IMO) bread knife if you buy unsliced bread with any frequency or make layer cakes. A 5" or 6" utility knife can be useful, ditto a filleting or boning knife.
Chinese cooks do almost everything with a cleaver so that is another option if you have or want to develop the skills.

She scares me by using a knife so i dont think a cleaver is a good idea. Ha.

I think we have a bread knife and for as often as it gets used i think im ok on that one.
The other 4 sound like a plan. Not sure about a utility knife. Ill have to look that one up. Thanks for the reply. Ill check into all this to see what its going to set me back. It is for the wife, and i want the knifes to last the next 20yrs so ill go with the Wusthof brand.

worked in food service for a few years. now I use shun Japanese chef knives exclusively but I live 100 miles from Portland and get them sharpened free for life by dropping into their store in Portland. agree on using a few if you aren't big into prep. but don't ask me how many knives I have. found out years ago I needed a great repeat great bread knife and got one. use it every day

It is for the wife, and i want the knifes to last the next 20yrs so ill go with the Wusthof brand.

Don't get too fixated on Wusthof. They are good knives but no better than a number of other European knives (I own a Wusthof Classic set). Wusthof has just done a better job of marketing than their competitors. Personally, if I was looking for European knives now I'd probably opt for the Messermeister Elite series because they have a half bolster. If you keep the knives for twenty years and keep them sharp you'll be cursing full bolsters.
Make sure you're wife handles the knives before you buy as there are enough difference in grip feel that that could be a deciding factor.

I was reading the Henckel pro knifes, not pro s knifes have a half bolster. Might look into those more. Thanks for the reply about bolsters.

Late to the party but I love my Japanese Tojiro DP 10.5 inch. I did my research and this is one of the best bargain knifes for the quality/sharpness you can get. Its a very reasonable price for around $80 and its the only knife you will really need. You can also get an 8 inch one for around $65.

https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gy...qid=1480556097&sr=8-1&keywords=tojiro+dp&th=1

I bought the Tojiro DP Santoku 6.7" for my mother in law last year. I agree that they are great bang for the buck, though I do have a Victorinox Fibrox 4-piece set in my Amazon wishlist for some time.

Top Bottom