What's new

I'm tired of my crappy kitchen knifes

I love my henckels. Going on 15 years now. I doubt I will ever have to replace them. Spend as much as you can on them, it's worth it.

I got my first Heckels in 2002 and still doing a great job, although they have been relegated to the holiday house. My new set are already 5 years old and barely broken in!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
A lot of people will recommend you purchase knives individually instead of buying a set. This is because the sets usually don't contain the knives that you really need and usually include a lot of knives that you don't need which drives up the price.

In the Wusthof Classic line I'd choose an 8 inch Chef's knife, a paring knife and the 6 inch utility knife (a great in between). A bread knife is often added later on as well.

Great advice. Add knives as you need to but go ahead and get the bread knife now.

Wusthofs are heavy and fat. Good for wedging your produce and not cutting properly. Additionally, they have too much belly and are only good for rock chopping.

Go japanese. Korin has 15% knife sale in december. You can get a Togiharu for around $100

Wusthofs are heavy and fat. Good for wedging your produce and not cutting properly. Additionally, they have too much belly and are only good for rock chopping.

Go japanese. Korin has 15% knife sale in december. You can get a Togiharu for around $100

While Japanese knives are great they do have their drawbacks as well. I wouldn't recommend them to someone who isn't going to be careful with them. For example, I've bought my Mother in Law some knives and while I really wanted to get her some nice Japanese knives she'd just damage them by using them for things like cutting frozen chicken breast or splitting a squash in half. She's abusive to the German knives that I bought her but they take it.

German knives have the advantage with inexperienced users as they are more durable and much more forgiving. I have a mixture of both and reach for the appropriate knife depending on the task at hand. For delicate tasks I'm taking the Japanese knives but for something brutal I'm taking a German knife.

I do also have a drawer full of really nice hand made Japanese knives that are off limits to the wife and kids. I tried to share but they are flat out abusive and I cringed every time they'd pick one up. They see a knife in the same way that they see a screwdriver. They still do have lots of other really nice knives to use that'll either take their abuse or that I care a lot less about. So it's not like they're suffering.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Here's another vote for the Victorinox Fibrox, if you are looking for a workhorse that delivers tremendous value. I know many, many pros and dedicated amateurs that will use nothing else.

I also agree that Henckels and Wustoff are great for something on the store-bought high-end.

Messermeister also delivers good value across their different lines.

I love my henckels. Going on 15 years now. I doubt I will ever have to replace them. Spend as much as you can on them, it's worth it.

Probably true. I bought my wife two sets of 3 back in 1973 in the post exchange when I was stationed in Izmir, Turkey. The only one showing any wear is the little paring knife. The only downside is the stainless steel used is hard to sharpen.

I like Global and Shun, myself, especially the 7" Shun Ken Onion santoku I got as a gift several years ago. I second the folks above who said to skip the set; I've never needed more than the chef's knife (or santoku if you prefer that style) and a paring knife, although a bread knife can be handy. Just make sure you know how to cut with them and they will serve you well; I highly recommend taking a knife skills class where you can learn how to use them as well as try out a bunch of different knives.

Don't buy a set, buy individual knives. Read [MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION] posts carefully.

Going up from acceptable

Dexter or Mercer both widely used in commercial kitchens and culinary schools
Victorinox or Victorinox/Forshner is probably a half step up
Wustof Classic* is probably the next step. The full bolster is a negative as it creates sharpening/wear issues.
Moderately priced Western handled Japanese knives: Tojiro DP, Kanehide PS and TK series, Fujiwara FKM series, etc.
Serious Japanese knives

*F Dick, Henkels and Messermeister are equally viable options. There is also a good argument for Sabtier, especially the vintage carbon knives

Too late edit to above:

Generally speaking Japanese knives use harder steel than Western knives. They will take a finer edge and hold it longer than a Western kitchen knife but they also chip more easily if misused/abused. Good knives whether Western or Japanese do not go in the dishwasher.

The better plastic cutting boards* aren't terrible but end grain hardwood is better. The only other good alternative are the rubber Sani-Tuff boards (buy 3/4" or 1" not the 1/2") but they are fairly expensive and ugly. Don't even think about using glass, slate, granite, hard acrylic or bamboo cutting boards with any knives you care about. Ditto those thin flexible plastic sheets unless used on a yielding surface.

*These are decent https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Pr...17&sr=8-1&keywords=progressive+cutting+boards. This board is a little harder (not quite so good) but available in larger sizes (and multiple colors to avoid cross contamination) and widely used commercially https://www.amazon.com/San-Jamar-CB...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FN3TH180EYP8EX3FFHBP
Many of the other plastic boards available are junk IMO

Look up pro cooking supply stores around you..There knifes a very good and cheap if you can cut with less then ten dallor knife then 50 dallor knife isn't going to you any good..Pick up sharping stone there and a steel..

My brother attended culinary school and shortly after my wife and I married he gave us a set of knives. Dexters and every conceivable knife you can think of. Dishwasher safe and 40 years later still going strong.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Get one good knife and learn how to use, sharpen, and care for it. Then get another.

While I absolutely love my chef's knife for veggie prep, Chinese chef's for god knows nearly everything, couldn't live without my bird's beak paring knife, and love the functionality of my roasts, and spreads knives... one I think rates well, but isn't often thought of, is a stout boning knife. Welcome to the Kitchen, I just know you're going to LOVE your stay!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
While I absolutely love my chef's knife for veggie prep, Chinese chef's for god knows nearly everything, couldn't live without my bird's beak paring knife, and love the functionality of my roasts, and spreads knives... one I think rates well, but isn't often thought of, is a stout boning knife. Welcome to the Kitchen, I just know you're going to LOVE your stay!

Ok, slight derail- I read your location and wondered what Asian country it was in :lol:

Top Bottom