What's new

I’m Looking For a Good Value Tough Watch

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Can you go wrong with a SKX007 Seiko Dive? Hardlex crystal tho not Saffire, auto but not hackable (not sure if that's important...
Seiko Automatic Dive Watch with Offset Crown and Rubber Dive Strap #SKX007J
And Island Watch was fantastic to deal with...
He has some new watches by Undone, that look gorgeous, esp the Newman (to me anyway!) I don't know much about the brand and durability, however.
I have a Blue Seiko Turtle that I love, wear it daily, but I don't work in an eviron that I worry about it getting knocked, but it is a diver and its built to go deep like the 007...
I also like the line by Dan Henry, they get some good reviews, he makes both Auto's and quartz, I have my eye on the 1970 orange model.

Are you looking for a "beater" that can take abuse?
Second vote for Seiko sk007
Its automatic .And tough. Retro and cool.
The poor mans Rolex submariner. And that's a compliment .
I think it will fit your needs / wants well

Second vote for Seiko sk007
Its automatic .And tough. Retro and cool.
The poor mans Rolex submariner. And that's a compliment .
I think it will fit your needs / wants well

Absolutely agree. Have never owned one but sometimes it all comes together and that is a good example of it.

Have owned the Alpinist in the past. Liked it but did not love it - tired of the green I guess.

More evidence I NEVER should have looked at this thread. This one catches my eye over at Island Watch. So very retro you have to look twice. A takeoff of the Navitimer but at a better price, shall we say:

Unknown.jpeg

Absolutely agree. Have never owned one but sometimes it all comes together and that is a good example of it.

Have owned the Alpinist in the past. Liked it but did not love it - tired of the green I guess.

More evidence I NEVER should have looked at this thread. This one catches my eye over at Island Watch. So very retro you have to look twice. A takeoff of the Navitimer but at a better price, shall we say:

View attachment 863334

I knew someone else would like the Undone’s! You ought to look at the Dan Henry collection. danhenry.com I believe. Can’t beat his prices. And in the divers (1970 model) he uses a Seiko automatic hackable movement (4r35??) same one as in my Seiko Turtle I believe.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Casio I use for work. I need a digital face for exact time . The G Shock I have is solar powered. Only drawback is in winter when it's stuck under a sleeve. I leave it on the sill for sunlight to charge. Rolex is too nice for wearing in some of the Crapvilles I have to go to or ride on. Those are Crap de Villes i.e. The A C E 2 and 5 trains for qualifiers along with the LIRR. Last thing I want to do is kill a skell that wants my watch. They get my time and I'll wind up doing it.

Watches are like razors. Timeless. Addictive. Nice to look at. Nice to use. Now I want to watch some Twilight Zone with Burgess Meredith. Time.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Feel free to add more! It’s fun to look at all the options. Nothing is screaming “take me home!”, but there are quite a few I wouldn’t kick out of bed for eating cookies.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Feel free to add more! It’s fun to look at all the options. Nothing is screaming “take me home!”, but there are quite a few I wouldn’t kick out of bed for eating cookies.

You kick someone out of bed for not sharing the cookies!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I used to collect vintage watches, but sold most of them off a few years ago. My daily driver/beater is now a Citizen Sapphire World Timer, circa early 2000s. Good aesthetics, and a sapphire crystal; the set-and-forget Eco-Drive movement seems bulletproof. That model has, of course, passed into history, but $100 will buy you all the beater watch you need from Citizen. (Of course, you can go upmarket and source some Japan-only models for more money.)

The more I look, the more I think I’m likely to end up with more than one.
I’ll probably concentrate on sub 200.00 for a work watch. The Bernhardt Field Diver is in contention. Easy to read, and the plain stainless bezel will not show marks as readily as others.

I’ve enjoyed checking out some of the other options. As tough as they are, I can’t see me wearing a Ball or a Christopher Ward in the warehouse. I could see this in my future though.
D849610B-7607-4717-9579-0C46CC034DEF.jpeg

I will have to take another look at restoring the Luminox also.

I have had good luck with Victorinox products. I have had several over the last 30 or so years.

I defaulted back to my Seiko 5 Sports after my Casio "tide" watch died after only about 3 years.
It doesn't fit well under cuffs, but it's nice to have a real watch on for a change.

Highly recommend a stainless link band on whatever you get.

I use a nylon/velcro band Ironman for my regular work days. Great, inexpensive watch but the darn thing just soaks up sweat and I have to clean it regularly. Leather discolors and creases quickly.

I can run, swim, work, and play with my stainless band Citizen Blue Angel and it has no such issues. Even though the links under the wrist are lightly scratched, still looks great. It’s got the sapphire glass, radio sync time, solar battery, chrono, and even a slide rule. The one con is Citizen’s poor quality night glow paint.

I guess it just depends on your work.

My son and I both love our Orients. We have a Mako and a Ray, and I'm really stunned by how nice they look for only $100.00.

Good suggestions all in here. My fav is the Seiko Alpinist and when i heard that Seiko stops production i ordered one last week.

I finally bought a watch! Kinda blew my budget, but it ticks all the boxes pretty well.
2892-A2
Good lume
Stainless everything
Sapphire Crystal

Maybe not the beater I was originally looking for, but I used my masterful justification/rationalization skills to maximum extent.
- A recent small promotion means I’m not personally throwing heavy stuff around as often. I get to direct others in the throwing of said heavy stuff.
- I hit a quasi goal of losing 30 pounds, from 204lbs July 11, 2017, to 174lbs a couple days ago. A significant self reward seemed appropriate!

Should be here in a few days. I’ll be the guy sleeping by the mailbox.
5059BD83-903D-411F-AF7C-0BED9A731E31.jpeg

Nice watch! Since it is all stainless steel and has a sapphire crystal it IS a beater watch, nothing could hurt it! About all you should see from use is a little bit of wear on the black painted bezel numbers and some scuffs on the edges, perfect "wearing in" marks :p What is going on with the crown? Is that push button above it a stop-watch type thing or does it just release that bar across the crown? A minimal face, three hand movement, decent water resistance, and a date window is my perfect daily use watch.

Top Bottom