What's new

I’m looking for a few new identical straight razors

As the title says I’m looking for a few new identical straight razors. To test a few finishing hones.

Nothing cheap, Nor do I want them to cost an arm and a leg.
Above all, I want a steel with consistent quality.

This way I will have the same baseline to finish from, and can test two or three blades at once.

I know I can pick up a few Dovos for $75 a piece, but I am clueless as to what kind of quality blades are available for more or less money.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

As the title says I’m looking for a few new identical straight razors. To test a few finishing hones.

Nothing cheap, Nor do I want them to cost an arm and a leg.
Above all, I want a steel with consistent quality.

This way I will have the same baseline to finish from, and can test two or three blades at once.

I know I can pick up a few Dovos for $75 a piece, but I am clueless as to what kind of quality blades are available for more or less money.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I would think American vintage? Genco for example can be found readily for a lot cheaper than dovo and I find them just as quality shavers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s good consistent steel that wil take a very good edge. Note that there is a steel difference between the 5/8 (swedish steel, german made) and 6/8 all german. The Swedish steel IME is a bit harder that the German counterpart. Some require fixing blade geometry problems such as slight wobbles and correcting of stabilizers/heel edge. I own two 6/8 BQ, first was perfect, second had slight wobble on heel.

I my end up going the GD route, but would prefer something a bit better quality.
I’ve had a couple of cheep razors recently that required more work on the spine than I really wanted to put into them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Titan manufacturer new straight razors of consistent design and steel quality. You can choose between there different Japanese steels; ACRM-2 a high carbon steel, VG10-HZ, and ACRO a harder stainless steel. Priced about USD 25, 35 and 60 respectively. They are available on AliExpress.

problem with vintage razors is finding 2 that are at similar levels of wear. i also dont think gold dollars are a great choice. i have seen some golddachs for $ 50-60

Top Bottom