What's new

Looking at straight razor to line up beard

Fairly new to straights, been using a DE for several years. However know that I’ve grown a beard, I’m looking to get into something for lining up etc. I’ve used some shavette type things, but they leave me a bit disappointed.

Any one else doing this? If so, what blade shape would you recommend? Any other tips and tricks you might share?

I have been "lining up" my beard with straight razors for many years and to be honest the blade shape makes very little difference. I swap the razors in my working set regularly and ease of beard trimming does not effect my choice.
I have a Barbarossa and I like it but it's a shorty, (with its drawbacks) and it does not trim around the beard any easier than my other razors.
You may think that a blade with a sharp point at the front end would give an accurate beard shape but I find that this is not the case. My Edo has a front radius of about 1/4" and I love it. If you do choose a razor with no radius at the front, it is easy to put one there if you're handy with your stones.

The point makes a big difference to me when trimming under the nose and under my lower lip. I have both Spanish and round points, full size and short. A full size 5/8ths razor always snags my beard. Could I work around that drawback? Probably, but why when a short razor is so much more maneuverable

I have the perfect two tools for you, either find a stubby razor or a western grind kamisori. They both have smaller blade lengths that lend themselves well to tight spots. I have a full beard in the winter months in Ohio, and straight razor shave the rest of the year. These are the best tools I can recommend based on experience. Send me a PM if you want some additional advice.

1712192416985.png

Top Bottom