What's new

If you had to choose between corned beef and pastrami

Corned Beef or Pastrami?

• Corned Beef

• Pastrami

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Towards the end of her life, my mom very reluctantly admitted that I made better stuffed cabbage, matzo ball soup, and blintzes than she did.

Pastrami for me. Just brined my first ever attempt at homemade pastrami the other day for work actually, i will have to post a picture in a week once it is all finished!

Allow me.

The Egg Cream

Must be performed in this order to achieve the desired white head.

In a large glass, roughly 16 oz or 1/2 litre, add approx. 2" of whole milk.
(Whole milk works best, but if you live with folks who only buy 2%, fat free, or other some such nonsense, spike it with some half & half or cream.)
Add approx. 3/4" of Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup.
(You may substitute any other decent chocolate syrup, but if you feel a whack on the back of your neck, that would be my dead grandmother.)

The tricky part-

Assuming you don't have access to a soda fountain or the bottles that The Three Stooges would use to spray you in the face, make sure you use a freshly opened can or bottle of seltzer.
Place a long spoon along the side of the glass with the convexed side touching the glass.
Pour the seltzer along the convexed side of the spoon, lifting the spoon as the glass fills.
Stop filling when you're a good three inches from the top of the glass. It will expand.
Place the spoon at the bottom of the glass and stir vigorously.
Be ready to quickly drink any overflow, and be quick about it. There will be.
Emit burp and admire your artwork.

Drinking your egg cream-

No need for raised pinkies or slow sipping here. The egg cream is one of the few beverages that is meant to be gulped. So just channel your inner barbarian and have at it. If your next burp registers less than 90 decibels, you did something wrong.

Needs a picture!

$CEG.JPG

My Dad, who was my best friend, absolutely loved great corned beef sandwiches, light rye and mustard.

I prefer pastrami on light rye with mustard.

Both of us enjoyed Dr. Browns Cel- Ray with a potato knish.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This very same Corned Beef vs. Pastrami subject was discussed in a polled thread back in 2009.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/90063-Pastrami-or-corned-beef?highlight=pastrami

And back then, PASTRAMI won the poll, by roughly the same margin that it did recently.

What more proof do you want? PASTRAMI wins.

I can't begin to thank you for linking to that old gem of a thread. I was going to post my thoughts about an old article on corned beef in The Wine Spectator, but lo and behold it's right there in post #20 in that thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/90063-Pastrami-or-corned-beef?p=1198165#post1198165

There's a whole lot of awesome in that thread. Thanks! :ouch1:

Edit: Oh, and as a follow up to that Wine Spectator complaint, I put the curse of the Fregosi Emerald on them shortly thereafter, and they have been a cesspool ever since.

Last edited:
Top Bottom