What's new

What would you choose, aluminum or stainless steel?

I personally think Aluminum is ok for the right application, but I would have my reservations for it as a razor only because I have seen what nearly 70 years of use my Dad's Gillette Fat Boy has gone through, and I doubt an aluminum razor would hold up that long. That is just my opinion nothing more.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I sort of sidestepped this discussion. I use titanium handles with stainless steel razor heads. The balance ends up tilted towards the head so the cutting momentum is still present, but the lighter weight makes the razor a bit more maneuverable.

I also have a bronze razor that has a hollow bronze handle. The weight of that handle is around 40 grams. The Ti Crown handles weigh 42.7 grams, for comparison.

In the end, total razor weight preferences are subjective.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I prefer polished stainless steel for durability and smoothness. Plus I like the heft and find that I prefer that look. I have observed aluminum corroding over time on pots and pans and would be leery of an aluminum razor for that reason. It probably is not an option for the razor being considered (I have glanced briefly at the Wolfman site but never checked into them in any depth), but I also like brass.

Same Razor, same specification Aluminum is lighter, SS is heavy, are you man or mouse? To have power to lift stainless?

Think SS is batter choice for longevity, and no stripped parts.

Aluminum is softer then SS.

Stainless steel is much better compared to aluminum and it's not even close, unless you find stainless steel razors heavy and you want something lighter. I don't own any aluminum razors nor do I plan on getting one, but if the price is right and the razor in question shaves really good, I might buy one. Then again, if I really enjoy the razor, I can always upgrade to steel or titanium, unless of course there's no other option than aluminum.

So yeah, it all comes down to personal preference, price and performance. For me, aluminum is on pair with plastic/bakelite and zamak, which I consider to be inferior and not something that I would personally invest a lot of money into, but that's just my take. I find titanium (in general) to be my favorite, then it's stainless steel and brass.

YMMV.

I agree that is not a matter of material, but how this material is finished. There should be no noticeable difference if the head is smoothly polished.

I always prefer stainless steel. Aluminum is light, but scratches rather easily and haptically, it feels plasticky, it isn't my thing. I like the slightly heavier ttitanium, though. Stainless steel is nicer when polished, but the Guerillas aren't polished afaik. I don't like matte finishes.

There is no real difference in gliding/friction. The finish might even influence that factor more.

Steel / Titanium > Bronze / Brass >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aluminum

Now there are various luxury bronze alloys and so on that are even more expensive than steel or ti, but I am not a fan of patina, so that's why I prefer steel.

Another factor to consider: PRICE.

This said, the purple aluminum Guerilla looks rad.

If you are now more confused what to get than before you asked that question, hehe, sorry...^^
I would rate titanium higher than steel because no chance for rust spots.

I have a Timeless SS68, a Timeless Ti68, a Timeless Ti95, and a Timeless AL45. I do have razors (SS) from other manufacturers. Although I only use the AL45 for travel (and keep hoping it will get confiscated), I don’t like the aluminum razor at all. I do like the heft of SS.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a Timeless SS68, a Timeless Ti68, a Timeless Ti95, and a Timeless AL45. I do have razors (SS) from other manufacturers. Although I only use the AL45 for travel (and keep hoping it will get confiscated), I don’t like the aluminum razor at all. I do like the heft of SS.
If it were a Wolfman it'd be pinched by the TSA!

Stainless or titanium for me. No aluminum.
I should say that I prefer lightweight tools but I think the potential for corrosion & denting with aluminum, coupled with it not being a hypo-allergenic material, make it unsuitable for razors and cookware. Even with computers I prefer magnesium alloy over aluminum and that’s lighter, but tend to have more flex than aluminum.

I'm with Thom. I always feel like an aluminum razor shaves "rougher" than the same thing in stainless. Not that it actually is rougher, but that's what it feels like. I suspect it's because a stainless razor has more mass, hence more momentum, hence more kinetic energy. I can hit 3-day hair with it and it just moves on through.

O.H.
I think the mass of the steel razor will be smoother in use.

Thank you brothers. Then I actually got a chance to shave with Wolfman's Guerrilla in SS so I can compare it with Henson's

and thank all of you who left opinions!!

Top Bottom