What's new

Iced Coffee

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am not a coffee connoisseur, I use Folgers medium roast. I enjoy iced coffee in the summer. I brew it a bit stronger to allow for the ice melting. The only thing I have noticed is it has a bit of a bitter taste iced. Any ideas on a good coffee to drink iced or on ways to make it?

I use instant coffee, yell at me all you want, it tastes fine to me.
I make 2 strong cups, add some artificial sweetener, and then I put it in my fridge over night, nothing else, so it's still black. In the morning when I get up I put it in the freezer for 30-60 min. When I take it out its ice cold, and it doesn't need any ice. It's super frosty, and the sweetener really balances it out.
Great to drink before I hit the gym at 5 AM.

I am not a coffee connoisseur, I use Folgers medium roast. I enjoy iced coffee in the summer. I brew it a bit stronger to allow for the ice melting. The only thing I have noticed is it has a bit of a bitter taste iced. Any ideas on a good coffee to drink iced or on ways to make it?
If you are making it using a French Press, Aeropress, or pour-over method try reducing the brewing temperature just a bit. I would also consider using a different coffee, I looked at the label of Folgers medium roast online and could not determine what type of coffee it contained, which tells me it is a blend (or maybe wholly) made from Robusta which tends to be more bitter tasting. I would look for something labeled as 100% Arabica.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you are making it using a French Press, Aeropress, or pour-over method try reducing the brewing temperature just a bit. I would also consider using a different coffee, I looked at the label of Folgers medium roast online and could not determine what type of coffee it contained, which tells me it is a blend (or maybe wholly) made from Robusta which tends to be more bitter tasting. I would look for something labeled as 100% Arabica.

I use a Cuisinart coffee maker. I will look into the Arabica. Thanks

I am using an aeropress to brew right over into ice, rather than adding ice to brewed coffee. Tastes different than adding ice to already brewed coffee.

Never tried Aeropress Japanese iced coffee. Do you account for the water in the ice when you're doing your water to coffee ratio?

Greeks are the masters of iced coffee

The absolute classic generations grew with since the 60s

The newer fancier version everybody drinks these days

MY favourite iced coffee recipe:

-Take a glass (whiskey glasses are the best)

-fill it with 1,5 inches of water

-put it in the freezer

-when the water becomes ice put it under your espresso machine (any kind) this is the time to add sugar if you want

-add two shots of espresso

-stir

-wait for two minutes until the ice comes on top (it will be a huge ice cube)

- enjoy

I do, but having tried various grinds, ratios, steeps, I’ve found i enjoy the inverted w/ ~14 grams slightly finer than auto to lvl 4 into a full of ice 12oz jar, water at 210°f for three mins (Kind of french pressy).

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I just ordered a grinder, now I need to pick out some beans. I am going to try the cold brew method this weekend.

I just ordered a grinder, now I need to pick out some beans. I am going to try the cold brew method this weekend.

Scott, Find a nice coffee shop near you that does their own roasting - not all do - and ask them what might be best for a nice ice coffee or for doing a cold brew. My son-in-law loves his cold brew, but I just make any old coffee for iced as I put in sugar and milk. I never do that for a hot cup of joe though, just for iced coffee. It's more like a nice treat for me that way.

-jim

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just did a Google Search. I looked at 3 different websites and 3 brands were mentioned on each website -

Stone Street Coffee Cold Brew Reserve
Cold Brew Lab Coffee
Death Wish Ground Coffee (but I think they also sell whole beans)

I’ve also seen Peet’s Coffee Baridi Blend mentioned a couple times.
Real Good Coffee Company Breakfast Blend was also mentioned.

Top Bottom