What's new

Starbucks is just not good Coffee. IMHO

Amazes me people are still doing start buck a 5-8 bucks a drink. Say drink as it is not real coffee, it is coffee bace with flavoring and additives. Friend had Coffee Gift Shop he could duplicate the Bucks drink for 1/2 the price, and still make a profit.

One think her did not do is duplicate their black coffee, that is alway over roasted, and bitter from burning. I love just BLACK Coffee, then goodness I have few place I can sniff for BEST PRICE FREE.

Who else loves just good black coffee?

Amazes me people are still doing start buck a 5-8 bucks a drink. Say drink as it is not real coffee, it is coffee bace with flavoring and additives. Friend had Coffee Gift Shop he could duplicate the Bucks drink for 1/2 the price, and still make a profit.

One think her did not do is duplicate their black coffee, that is alway over roasted, and bitter from burning. I love just BLACK Coffee, then goodness I have few place I can sniff for BEST PRICE FREE.

I would rather drink coffee from a gas station than Starbucks. They all have a KCup type of brewing system where I live and it’s not bad. Starbucks always has a burnt taste.

We had a small coffee shop in one of our grocery stores. The barista was very personable and the coffee was always consistently good and never had a burnt taste. They were busy but not crazy busy and the clientele was older. We went in one afternoon and noticed they were closed. I thought it was due to maybe a call off. As it turns out they had made a decision to replace the small shop with a Starbucks. The Starbucks is busy and it’s a younger demographic, I think that was their plan. Personally, not for me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Starbucks drinks are mostly sugar with a little coffee. Their “light roast” Blonde isn’t too bad.

I think when you roast as much coffee as they do it’s hard to get a good consistent medium roasting profile so they roast very dark, think almost burnt, for espresso and their light roast, which is more of a medium roast, and that’s it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Starbucks is the worst pile of garbage on the planet! Its exactly what you said, you are paying for overpriced burnt coffee, that is filled with so much sugary syrup flavor additives and calories, one wonders why their not all obese by now with walrus bellies.

You are also right, that they target the younger demographic, its all about offering convenience, so that the younger crowd don't need to learn how to make good coffee. The motto is, get em in, then get em out.

But they do offer free wifi there, so I guess you could say, that they do expect some to stay awhile, working on their laptop, while drinking coffee, and some pastry. But there is no way there going to let you stay all day, table space is finite in coffee shops.

Now, there are some real artisan coffee shops in our country, ( so I have been told anyways ) but I've never seen any artisan coffee shops anywhere I live! Many of the coffee you will pay for, you be paying closer to 12 dollars or more, if you are buying the high end Machiato, Cappachino, Late style drinks.

I wonder just how many people have high blood pressure, that can also be correlated back to, them going to Starbucks everyday. Sure, natural coffee is a stimulant for sure, but when you add tons of sugar, salt, calories, glucose, lactose, you might as well take the natural stimulant, and quadroople it into DANGER zone.

There was a juice company recently that underwent heavy scrutiny. The juice company has a weird name so I don't remember it sorry. But they were putting enough caffeine in the juice to drop a horse! They ended up getting sued by a whistle blower who came out about it, I guess they had a medical emergency due to the caffeine amounts, because they weren't even aware that there was caffeine in the drinks, and their body couldn't handle it.

The company did their best to quiet it, and pretend like they were no fault over the medical emergency, claimed that the customer was stupid, and should have known, even though it wasn't posted at the time. Well guess what? Now it is posted everywhere the drinks are sold now days, since the incident occurred.

When the drinks were tested by medical lab personal, thats when they discovered that the drinks had 4-times the recommended dose of caffeine in them, and some folks were drinking 3 of those drinks. According to the same medical personal, they said, even if you don't have a heart condition, the amount of caffeine that those folks were ingesting, would be enough to put them in the hospital, or death!

So the point that I am trying to make is, people need to be aware what they are ingesting into their bodies. Regular coffee in moderation is really good for you! Having said that however, quadruple doses of caffeine laced with sugar syrups, salts, and calories however, is very bad for you, and you shouldn't ingest any of that.

I do, and I agree that Starbucks is overly roasted and thus overly bitter. Thus, the nickname "charbucks." To some extent, I suppose, that is arguably a style. And I think Starbucks produces a nicely consistent product that they do not let go stale waiting to be sold. I think the use the right proportions of water to coffee and I think the right temperature of water.

For my tastes most American coffee is under roasted, and brewed too weakly, especially if one gets outside of major metropolitan areas but I think things have gotten better. I actually give Starbucks credit for bringing up the quality of the coffee sold by its lower-priced and less image conscious competitors, at least around here.

But I think you are also correct that Starbucks is not in this to sell plain black coffee. And I think they can pull a decent shot of espresso and make a reasonable latte. Those used to not be readily available in the US. Also, their stores are reasonable comfortable places to hang out. They have encouraged other places to open up offering the same, and I would probably locally go to them before going to Starbucks. But on the road, I might go to Starbucks for reliability. I think the other drinks with all the additives are an abomination, but I am not the target audience.

But I do love black coffee and Starbucks is okay but not great.

Regular coffee in moderation is really good for you!
I do not think many people realize that, but solid medical evidence supports that. On a different topic, I really hate trying to filter through all of the garbage that comes out as to health studies, and worse are health claims made by specific foods or other products. But for at least a decade studies of coffee consumption show health benefits. Maybe not as to decaf, though.

<Even McD is better.>

McD really brought the quality of its coffee up in the recent decade or so. 7-11, at least for a while there, was not bad either.

Is 12-14 cups moderate? Asking for, well, me.
IMHO, I would not say that 12-14 cups is moderate, but I have no idea where the health benefits become outweighed by any negative effects. I remember reading about the studies of I think it was middle-aged men, and coffee consumption correlated with becoming diabetic. And I was surprised at how many cups a day folks were drinking and the benefits seemed to go up with the additional consumption.

Of course, sleeping at night has health benefits, too! I would say that if one can feel one's heart pound in one's chest all day at a higher than normal hearbeat rate, maybe cut back on the caffeine!

It is not just the caffeine that is thought to have health benefits. Coffee is loaded with all kinds of naturally occurring elements that may be good for humans.

There's one thing Charbux makes that I find good: their pastries. I almost gag when I go into a hotel and see them bragging that, "We proudly server Starbucks." How they can be proud to serve something that badly roasted and brewed, I'll never understand.

I would say that if one can feel one's heart pound in one's chest all day at a higher than normal hearbeat rate, maybe cut back on the caffeine!
Either that, or talk to your doctor about it. I've been on atenolol for that for over a decade, but I have to take it with dinner, not breakfast. If I take it in the morning, it and my blood pressure medicine combine to bring it down too far. Twelve prescriptions and this is the only interaction I've had.

I drink coffee… about 2-3 cups a day. I can honestly say that I have never had a coffee from Starbucks. Community Coffee is what I grew up on, and what I drink today. I like it black, plain, no sugar, no cream. I can’t imagine spending $5 for a cup of coffee.

I prefer to make my own coffee (pour over) but if I’m buying then it’s at 7-11. They have a touchscreen Swiss made machine that makes it superbly. I fell in love with it and wanted to buy one but the price was way more than I could afford. I did the next best thing and bought a super automatic espresso machine.

Last edited:
I'm a black coffee kind of guy. I don't mind an occasional cappuccino, but I prefer black coffee - no cream, no sugar. And Starbucks always tastes overly burnt to me. My favorite coffee is Craft Coffee's Streetlight Blend made in an Aeropress - consistently great black coffee.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Cappucinochocomochacaramel Latte isn't coffee, it's a softdrink.
I don't go to Starbucks.
Having said that, I use Starbucks Sumatra in ground and Kcup form and it's my preferred coffee.
I like it.
I don't want "coffee" that tastes like hot water with a brown crayon dipped in it.
I've always preferred dark roasts, and Starbucks Sumatra nails it.
The wife and I both drink it black, no sugar.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
When Starbucks first showed up in Austin in the mid 90s, I remember the coffee being really good. I think since then they’ve become so big the quality control, or the ability to roast “small batches”, has gone downhill. It’s funny to me that Starbucks and Peet’s, to a lesser extent, really advocated drinking lighter roasted espresso as opposed to the usual dark roast.

Having said that, I use Starbucks Sumatra in ground and Kcup form and it's my preferred coffee.
This.

I don't want "coffee" that tastes like hot water with a brown crayon dipped in it.
And this.

Their beans are actually good. Colombia (from Starbucks) also makes a fine coffee.

I won’t get into their ready to go coffee, if it’s bad or not, what I will say is most of the coffee I tried in North America is not coffee.

It’s watered down something resembling coffee. I thought sometimes it was actually tea.

If that’s someone’s starting point, every real thing in the world you try you’ll find overly bitter and roasted.

Top Bottom