What's new

I need a better brush

I am fully into the AD now. I started wetshaving one month ago with a VDH PBB. It sheds anywhere from 2 - 12 hairs each time I use it. I'd like to upgrade, dont want to spend more than 60 on a new one though.
Im a soap guy through and through is that makes a difference. Oh, and DE, not straights.
Thanks

Why not try your hand at replacing a knot in an old handle? There are many old brushes out there with a fantastic handle that just need some love. Vintage handles don't need to be fully restored to make a fantastic brush. Check out the restorations forum here and see some examples. The main advantage is that you can select a knot from any grade (super silvertip from TGN included) and it will end up costing less than the $60 you are looking to spend. Don't get me wrong there are some very nice new brushes in your price range though. The first thing is to know what it is that you want in your brush, Backbone, softness, and size are all good things to know for the Gents here to point you in a good direction.
Best of luck!

Yoy could reknot that handle if it is nice or you are in love with the shape or feel of it, but you could get something very nice around $20 have you seen or heard of Vie Long brushes. I just ordered one directly from Spain (where they are made) for about $20 they have boar/horse mix, pure horse, badger and I think they might have badger/horse mix. I really like the horse hair because it seems to have the perfect mix of backbone/softness (works get with soaps too) http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/catalog/the-pleasure-of-shaving/barber-shaving-brushes.html I just ordered the horse hair extra no.2, the the horse hair's come in two grade HH & HH extra which is pre softened.

Thanks, Im going to look into both. The restoration sounds right up my alley. I prefer making or at least partaking in the putting together of most things I use. So I'll be doing that for sure. The horsehair from spain sound great as well! Looks like I'll be ending up with a ton of shaving gear. Damn

Top Bottom