What's new

I guess Walmart quit carrying Wilkinson Sword DE blades.

Neither Walmart in my area had them, or even an empty space for them. Kind of weird that DE shaving seems to be getting more popular, but they no longer sell the blades after years of selling them.

Maybe DE shaving is threatening their cartridge sales?

Or maybe traditional wet shaving has become popular enough that the price point at which they have to buy them no longer makes sense for their pricing model? It is a shame, because it's nice to know in a pinch that you could run out and get a blade that would at least get you an SAS. If you are traveling out of town, it's nice to know a major retailer that's in most towns carries something you like. A guy could be forced to shave with a cart in an emergency because there aren't many places to get DE blades anymore, especially in a town you are not familiar with.

Wilkinson Sword won't do business with Walmart because of it's poor employee practices. Drugstore.com has them for a good price and Walgreen's still has them.

Since it's a matter of public knowledge, I imagine you can find this on your own. I would start with Wilkinson Sword's parent company's site.

Since it's a matter of public knowledge, I imagine you can find this on your own. I would start with Wilkinson Sword's parent company's site.

They sure sell plenty of Energizer batteries, Playtex and Bannan Boat products at Walmart, what makes the case that they won't sell razor blades there?

The only "dispute" that I can find is that Sam's Club dropped Energizer batteries as it's exclusive battery and is selling someone else. Energizer's financial report states that Wal-Mart is just over 20% of their business.

Wilkinson Sword won't do business with Walmart because of it's poor employee practices. Drugstore.com has them for a good price and Walgreen's still has them.

They still sell Wilkinson Sword carts and disposables:

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...n+Sword&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

They also still sell Edge gel, Schick products, Banana Boat sun tan lotion, Playtex bras (or so I'm told :001_rolle) and has been noted, Energizer batteries. This must be the most targeted (and least publicized) boycott of all time!

I've looked at all the Walmarts in my area and none of them have Wilkinson. My Walgreens has an off brand that is basically a generic. Haven't checked CVS yet.

Remember, companies have to purchase shelf space at chains like WalMart, Walgreen's, etc. This might be a decision on either WalMart's or Wilkinson/Energizer's part.

Let's see - for the same peg, Wal-Mart can either have a dollar profit on a niche item or they can have a four dollar profit on a Gillette Mach Eleven 8 blade vibrating cartridge, now with new improved 21st Century lubricity that's advertised in every issue of Sports Illustrated and every episode of SportsCenter.

Occam's Razor says ...

Would that be an Occam's Razor fitted with a Wilkinson blade?

Hey O!

But I think the analysis is a bit thin in detail. I wouldn't assume the Wilkie space went to Fusion carts---they already have plenty of space. And I doubt Wal-Mart makes $4 of profit on most disposable and 2nd tier carts (or on Fusion carts, for that matter--retail profit margins are "razor thin"). By the logic above, the stores should only carry the few, very expensive, products that pull in the most profit. But if you peruse Wally's shave aisle you will find a slew of products from very very inexpensive to the higher end stuff we love to hate. And when computing profit, you need to consider price, as $4 profit on a $20 item is the same return to Wal-Mart as $1 on a $5 item. Also consider you can get many more small thin packages (like DE blades) in the same space as a Fusion package, and that space might be more profitable, on a percentage basis, as the more expensive item. Of course, that only is true if the blades sell.

I'm thinking either they weren't selling well enough, Wilkinson (or more likely their distributor) wouldn't meet Wally's price demands, Gillette/Schick/Personna has a new product they are launching and paid a good price for the shelf space, etc.

See really it's is more complex than that. A puppy got sick and a guy missed work because he had to take him to the vet. Then a ballon popped some one forgot to fill out a purchase order. Long story short walmart is our of wilkies. Now if you don't believe me well fine but it appears my explanation is at least as plausible as any. Ymmv IMHO blaaa blaaaa blaaa. But it's a secret so shhhh!
Don't tell any one.
Lol I am bored....sorry.

See really it's is more complex than that. A puppy got sick and a guy missed work because he had to take him to the vet. Then a ballon popped some one forgot to fill out a purchase order. Long story short walmart is our of wilkies. Now if you don't believe me well fine but it appears my explanation is at least as plausible as any. Ymmv IMHO blaaa blaaaa blaaa. But it's a secret so shhhh!
Don't tell any one.
Lol I am bored....sorry.

Well, it is at least as plausible, if not more so, than the "Wilkinson wont let walmart carry their DE, because of their labor practices, but walmart can still carry every other product made by the parent company" theory :)

Don't tell any one.
Lol I am bored....sorry.

Nobody has disputed the fact that Wal-Mart no longer carries these blades. I think some of us are discussing reasons why this may be the case, I have to wonder, if the conversation bores you so, why comment at all?

Well, it is at least as plausible, if not more so, than the "Wilkinson wont let walmart carry their DE, because of their labor practices, but walmart can still carry every other product made by the parent company" theory :)

Just about anything seems like a better explanation that that--at least to me.

As a clinical psychologist whose specialty is personality development and anomalies I wonder, out of professional curiosity, what is so disturbing about what I said that people feel the need to keep bringing it forward? If it were a simple case of disagreement one would simply state, "I don't think that's reason," and move on. What emotional investment do you have in Walmart that causes you to react so vehemently?

I don't care if you don't believe what I said. But, I am amazed at the emotional, gut-level response that what I said elicited. E.g. the theories that they did not make a high enough profit or that shelf space is at a premium did not provoke any one to demand they reveal their sources.

Just a clinical observation: the person who wrote of being bored intended to let you know he thought your posts were tedious; thus his convoluted, Goldbergian, poked at the "real reasons."

Last edited:
Top Bottom