What's new

How do you know for sure your going bald?

If you want to determine whether it's falling out due to pattern baldness, look closely at the hair right on the edge of your hairline. If they're very fine and wispy then this is what it is, as the follicles don't just suddenly stop working, they kind of close up over time.

As for the hereditary angle, I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it. They say it comes from the mother's side, but my hair's been slowly thinning since I was 16 and yet my mother's brother and father were unaffected. My dad and his brother have it, and yet my older brother has a full head of hair. So basically I think the hereditary theory is a red herring

This depends on the type of balding... from what I understand there are a few types of hereditary baldness. One is male pattern baldness and that is on your fathers side... this form skips every other generation.. another type which I believe comes from your mothers side simply pops up randomly and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it will pop up. the other types I don't know anything about.

This depends on the type of balding... from what I understand there are a few types of hereditary baldness. One is male pattern baldness and that is on your fathers side... this form skips every other generation.. another type which I believe comes from your mothers side simply pops up randomly and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it will pop up. the other types I don't know anything about.

TOTALLY WRONG!!!
Research has also shown that a person with a balding father also has a significantly greater chance of experiencing hair loss.

NOTE that I said there are a few different types of hereditary baldness... I only described two of them. The type you mentioned is not one I am familiar with so I did not try to describe it.

There are several ways someone can become bald, I do not pretend to know all of them. I believe what you mentioned is just as correct as what I was referring to. I am also fairly sure that there are many other ways a person can become bald that neither you or I know anything about.

If you were born on Friday October 13th, have 2 black cats, and walk under ladders you may also go bald. Dad and grandad have all their hair, younger brother and I don't. I think it's a crap shoot.

Wish you were right...........

Male pattern baldness is, in many instances, a genetically determined condition, associated with a genetic variant in the Androgen Receptor (AR) gene on the X chromosome, one of the so-called sex-chromosomes. Males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome whereas females have two X chromosomes. Since sons always inherit their X chromosome from their mothers, the genetic variant in the AR gene associated with male pattern baldness is inherited from the mother.

If you are going to cite something you need to cite it all... here is the correct citation...

A genetic variant on the X chromosome associates with male pattern baldness

Male pattern baldness is, in part, a genetically determined condition, associated with a genetic variant in the Androgen Receptor (AR) gene on the X chromosome, one of the so-called sex-chromosomes. Males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome whereas females have two X chromosomes. Since sons always inherit their X chromosome from their mothers, the genetic variant in the AR gene associated with male pattern baldness is inherited maternally. Recently, scientists have discovered a second variant, on chromosome 20, which also associates with male pattern baldness.

That can be found at this website.....

http://www.decodeme.com/male-pattern-baldness

BTW you were partly correct I was wrong about which side of the family male pattern baldness is associated with.

Wish you were right...........

Male pattern baldness is, in many instances, a genetically determined condition, associated with a genetic variant in the Androgen Receptor (AR) gene on the X chromosome, one of the so-called sex-chromosomes. Males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome whereas females have two X chromosomes. Since sons always inherit their X chromosome from their mothers, the genetic variant in the AR gene associated with male pattern baldness is inherited from the mother.

I was actually trying to give a tongue in cheek funny answer in an effort to be funny.....I'm cool with being bald, although I understand others aren't.
You have to admit that black cat theory was cool.

So I went to the doctors and he said that he didn't think I had MPB but rather it could be from stress as I don't seem to be thinning or balding anywhere else.

my dad, his brothers and their sons and my grandfater were all bald as am I and my son. I keep mine buzzed to 1/8 inch and have a very tight goatee.

As somebody else mentioned, hair can fall out for numerous reasons. Pscyhological stressors are a frequent cause of hair loss in young men. Are you under a lot of stress? If so, your hair loss could be temporary.

I hate to say I told you so.......Wait.....actually, I LOVE to say I told you so!:lol:

Top Bottom