What's new

Hospitalized from Straight Razor!

I tend to be that way.

Smashed the snot out of my finger a couple of months ago... slammed it in a truck door, and the door latched (closed all the way). I started to step away from the truck, my hand didn't move, and I thought "Oh no, I hope it's not locked"
It wasn't locked.
It bled for a couple of hours and oozed for a few days.

I'm still working the damaged nail, trimming the edges as they lift, and the new nail is growing in without too much deformation.

Thats what Im sayin!! There are guys here,in this thread, comparing stories, about Mach3 abrasions!! :lol:

Scary story, and no one likes the ER, but thankfully you came out of it okay. I say stick with it, s#@t happens, you learned a lesson, but no need to give up something you enjoy, imo. Be glad you are into wet shaving and not sky-diving!

Hope you heal up soon mate. Be glad you didn't cut something else. Glad everything got reattached though :thumbsup: Hope you can start straight shaving again soon.

Thats what Im sayin!! There are guys here,in this thread, comparing stories, about Mach3 abrasions!! :lol:

No kidding.

If I went to the ER and gave up on shaving every time I've drawn blood over the last 35 years, I'd be on a first name basis with every ER doctor within 80 miles of Los Angeles and I'd look like a Yeti!

What's one and two?
I wasn't thinking in order of severity... I was thinking in order of probability.

1 - Don't drop the straight and at the very least you'll have rust problems, even with a stainless blade you've got the pivot. Of course, natural scales don't take kindly to water.
2 - Getting into "accidents" now... slicing your earlobe is more likely when working in front of a wet mirror.

Arggghh, so sorry it happened to you and am so very grateful the docs were able to reattach the nerve - whewww. You will have PT ahead of you but in time will be as good as new I’d bet. I’d want to quit if I were you too, give it time. No need for any decision today.

Here is my story and it is a SHADOW of yours, mine is very minor league. In my life before straights I was in the pre-straight orbit otherwise known as “DE shaving.” When changing a blade in a three piece Gillette I was holding it all in my hand disassembling it when the fumbling began. Not wanting anything to hit the sink I made a grab for everything forgetting there was a FOURTH piece - the blade. Let’s just say we all have a lot of capillaries at the end of our fingers and I had my Knights of Nicht moment that too sent me off the the ER.

Ever since I have moved more deliberately and in a pre-meditated way, no need to be in a hurry here... After another six months of successful DE shaving I hopped into the orbit of straight shaving and will never go back. The guys here wouldn’t let me go anyway, we have too much fun here. Hang tough, give it time - all is good and this from a guy who got bit.

My worst fall in this regard was reaching into a garbage bag with a few plates of broken glass. The doctor was literally reading from the guide-book and muttering to himself as he stitched up the side of my wrist and forearm! Good luck with your recovery.

Last edited:
Ok lefty, glad you are OK, it's a reflex to catch falling objects. I learned in the operating room never to catch anything. I often find myself double clutching before catching something.

Hope the tendon/nerves heal well.

Thanks Doc! And thanks to everyone for the good wishes. Another upside is that once I get the hospital bills, I finally have a real reason to resist/end my Acquisition Disorders. Yikes.

Speaking of shaving accidents..A close call I had a few weeks ago, True story:

I left a de blade laying flat on top of my bathroom vanity. At some point after I shaved, I must have put the wet alum block down, right on top of the blade...When it dried, I guess the blade, stuck or fused to the bottom of the Alum block......The next day, early in the morning, right after shaving, I rinsed, grabbed the Alum, ran it under the water like I always do, semi unaware because its so routine, and im still not fully awake......Well i started rubbing the Alum block on my face, and was wondering why it felt so rough!!! I look and see this !!! That could have ended bad..:scared:

$IMAG0607.jpg

Last edited:
A close call I had a few weeks ago, True story:

I left a de blade laying flat on top of my bathroom vanity. At some point after I shaved, I must have put the wet alum block down, right on top of the blade...When it dried, I guess the blade, stuck or fused to the bottom of the Alum block......The next day, early in the morning, right after shaving, I rinsed, grabbed the Alum, ran it under the water like I always do, semi unaware because its so routine, and im still not fully awake......Well i started rubbing the Alum block on my face, and was wondering why it felt so rough!!! I look and see this !!! That could have ended bad..:scared:

View attachment 239778

P.S. Thats not the same blade and alum block, I replicated it for the photo, so you guys get the idea...Thats basically what it looked like

Top Bottom