What's new

Hospitalized from Straight Razor!

Damn sorry dude! Hope everything heals up okay.

And here I was getting bummed out over a $16 W&B with a warped spine. Sheez!

Wow.

AFA quitting - you have to do what you feel internally but, as others have said, you can cut yourself with anything. I cut my ear so bad with a Mach 3 that I had to wear a head bandage. I was shaving my head and the razor slipped and I slapped it with my hand to catch it. My ear took a big gash and I couldn't stop it. I'm pretty sure I died. (you call this living? - ta dum!). I didn't quit shaving my head but I damn sure stopped trying to catch razors. I recently dropped an 8/8 Wosty into my sink and my previous experiences must have kicked in... I watched it fall and thought of bad things but I didn't move to catch it. It didn't break but I was so disgusted with myself that I had to take a second to cool down.

My son-in-law came over for Christmas and I gave him a Tech and a bunch of blades for it. He had never had a DE or blades in his hand before. He opened the package, took out a blade and ran his finger across it to see how sharp it was. Talk about blood everywhere! However, even though we kidded him mercilessly, he still got the blade in (despite the bandages) and tried it out.

Anyway... I said all that to say - hang in there. It looks like you will heal and, as another said, you now have a badge of honor. Great conversation piece. ;-}

Nice to hear that things are going to be alright. This might be a point to consider if straight shaving is ment to be, and if its not then there is nothing at all wrong with getting really good with your DE. There's many different models of DE's to choose from, and they all shave a little different.

+1

It's like flying.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Reason #3 not to straight shave in the shower :scared:

What's one and two?

Wow.

AFA quitting - you have to do what you feel internally but, as others have said, you can cut yourself with anything. I cut my ear so bad with a Mach 3 that I had to wear a head bandage. I was shaving my head and the razor slipped and I slapped it with my hand to catch it. My ear took a big gash and I couldn't stop it. I'm pretty sure I died. (you call this living? - ta dum!). I didn't quit shaving my head but I damn sure stopped trying to catch razors. I recently dropped an 8/8 Wosty into my sink and my previous experiences must have kicked in... I watched it fall and thought of bad things but I didn't move to catch it. It didn't break but I was so disgusted with myself that I had to take a second to cool down.

My son-in-law came over for Christmas and I gave him a Tech and a bunch of blades for it. He had never had a DE or blades in his hand before. He opened the package, took out a blade and ran his finger across it to see how sharp it was. Talk about blood everywhere! However, even though we kidded him mercilessly, he still got the blade in (despite the bandages) and tried it out.

Anyway... I said all that to say - hang in there. It looks like you will heal and, as another said, you now have a badge of honor. Great conversation piece. ;-}

No he doesn't have to do what he feels internally. He has to do what the forums tell him to do. Geesh.

Glad you're O.k. My late father always told me, do what you fear most and you control the fear. Dont give up on the shaving hobby you enjoy.

Hope everything heals well.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

And I thought my gash on the tip of my index finger from when I was trying to clean residue from my DE was bad..geeze.

On a somewhat serious/not serious note..perhaps start wearing kevlar gloves?
Goofy looking but no more cuts at least.

Sholulda rubbed your styptic on it and finished shaving. You can't go to the ER all stubbly!

It happened post-shave, as I was cleaning up, so I showed up to the hospital BBS! At least that was a plus!

Sholulda rubbed your styptic on it and finished shaving. You can't go to the ER all stubbly!

Man, growing up my Dad owned a construction business...There would be days where guys would have sawed off, and gouged out chunks of flesh..They'd duct tape it and keep on working.....

Man, growing up my Dad owned a construction business...There would be days where guys would have sawed off, and gouged out chunks of flesh..They'd duct tape it and keep on working.....
I tend to be that way.

Smashed the snot out of my finger a couple of months ago... slammed it in a truck door, and the door latched (closed all the way). I started to step away from the truck, my hand didn't move, and I thought "Oh no, I hope it's not locked"
It wasn't locked.
It bled for a couple of hours and oozed for a few days.

I'm still working the damaged nail, trimming the edges as they lift, and the new nail is growing in without too much deformation.

Wimps. We don't need duct tape. We put the severed piece in our lunch box and go back to work. Take care of it when we get off. For now, there's a job to do.

I remember my grandfather complaining of a toothache when I was young. He then proceeded to go down into the basement and pulled the tooth out with a pair of pliers.
Jim

I blame all my scars on youthful dueling injuries from the days when I thought the lady I was with had virtue worth defending. Seriously, thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom