What's new

Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a home coffee roaster and drinker, I understand the desire for buying exotic, international honey. But when it comes to honey, I always buy from local producers and usually clover or wild flower. I buy into that whole better for your allergies thing. In Santa Cruz, I remember getting Star Thistle honey. There was a summer grassyness that was such a wonderful thing.

-jim

I understand being a localvore but when applicable and when it makes sense. I don't think honey applies. Honey has a virtually indefinite shelf life. It doesn't spoil or change once packaged, so it travels as well as any foodstuff in the world. It's quite similar to tea in that sense. BTW, I'm guessing that your coffee is not actually grown in Oregon.

The reality is that I don't want olive oil from Washington. I don't want cherries from Florida, nor oranges from Michigan. If something can be grown/raised best locally then that's my preference. If the best product comes from across the country or across the ocean, then that's what I want.

Just got some Buckwheat honey looking forward to trying it. Now I am going to avoid this thread so I don't have hundreds of dollars of honey in my cabinet.

I understand being a localvore but when applicable and when it makes sense. I don't think honey applies. Honey has a virtually indefinite shelf life. It doesn't spoil or change once packaged, so it travels as well as any foodstuff in the world. It's quite similar to tea in that sense. BTW, I'm guessing that your coffee is not actually grown in Oregon.

The reality is that I don't want olive oil from Washington. I don't want cherries from Florida, nor oranges from Michigan. If something can be grown/raised best locally then that's my preference. If the best product comes from across the country or across the ocean, then that's what I want.

I do understand what you are saying, but your argument broke down a little there. I have to buy coffee beans from other countries, but honey can be bought from virtually anywhere that supports flowering plants, which includes my surrounding area. Now I understand completely the desire to find and try honey that comes from places that are derived from a specific bee, flower, climate. There must be honey that comes from bees kept in tea and coffee plantations. That I would find interesting. :smile:

-jim

I do understand what you are saying, but your argument broke down a little there. I have to buy coffee beans from other countries, but honey can be bought from virtually anywhere that supports flowering plants, which includes my surrounding area. Now I understand completely the desire to find and try honey that comes from places that are derived from a specific bee, flower, climate. There must be honey that comes from bees kept in tea and coffee plantations. That I would find interesting. :smile:

-jim

Goodness, that is a concept that never occurred to me. Is this going to lead to HONEY Acquisition Disorder? I thought Hone Acquisition Disorder was bad enough!

Phil

Goodness, that is a concept that never occurred to me. Is this going to lead to HONEY Acquisition Disorder? I thought Hone Acquisition Disorder was bad enough!

Phil

The man says it has "... a virtually indefinite shelf life."

Sounds like survival food!

-jim

Phil

ive had honey disorder for 10+ years hahahaha.... although i tend to favour the medicinal varieties more so

Heres a neat tip btw, if you have a particular allergy to something, consume its honey and you might slowly be desensitized over time. This is a "wives tale" of sorts my mom grew up learning and i think has some scientific validity. Having said that, my father had success with this strategy. During summertimes as a child we used to visit our summer home in switzerland (for roughly 3 months) and my father would have terrible hay fever. My mom decided one year to buy a bunch of local honey from a beekeeper about 5 km or so away and my dad consumed it daily. he noticed at the end of summer that his sneezing was not as intense. he took a few kilos back home and continued this regiment. Next year he returned and barely had to reach for his anti histamines! it seems the pollen in the honey was a close enough profile of what was bothering him or something like that and his immune system responded favorably!

Again cant say this will work for all, but its quite a popular belief in the middle east

Allergy control through local raw honey is well reported and anecdotally supported, as long as the allergy is not too severe to start with (there are real dangers of severe, life threatening reactions). I have read about it many different places, but do not know how much medical research has been done on it.

Bees collect the pollen for food, along with the nectar, all is stored together when making honey, so in effect you get low doses of an allergen to a part of the system that is generally well equipped for it.

Phil

OK, I've seen several Ohio guys mention getting it locally. Any suggestions for the Columbus area?

In warmer weather there is a pull off on 23 near Delaware State Park where a stand if frequently set up during the day on weekends. I haven't gotten a business card to know if there is a store front.

Phil

ps, it is actually at Norton , which is close to Waldo.

Last edited:
In warmer weather there is a pull off on 23 near Delaware State Park where a stand if frequently set up during the day on weekends. I haven't gotten a business card to know if there is a store front.

Phil

Good to know, thanks. I'm in the Polaris area, so it's close.

I love honey.
What I have found is that the honey produced by local bee-keepers always wins over the store bought, no matter how fancy or exotic it is :yesnod:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom