What's new

Hess razor - a good starter?

I had the pictured Hess razor offered as a trade and wondered if it was a good place to start. Markings indicate "Hess Famous German Razor, made in solingen - germany of the highest grade Swedish Steel, ready for use. Extra sharp and long lasting cutting edge". On the blade the "1" precedes "HESS". Trade also includes two strops: a Barber's Best fine weave linen finish, and an Illinois razor strop co. #361 leather strop. Physically it looks to be in terrific shape - apparently is was used only two times.

full

full

full

Is this a good starter? Any info on manufacturers?

Last edited by a moderator:
figured out how to resize the image - but can't fix the blur factor at present. There is not visible discoloration or blemishes on it.

I assume swedish steel is stainless steel, and have seen that this may not be the best - my plan, if I go through with the trade - is to find someone to hone it up for me.

thanks for the feedback

Bill

If you see nothing visually wrong with the razor, then it will do fine as a starter along with the mentioned strop.

Hm, I am surprised by the luckluster reaction.

I would expect it's a very good razor. In fact, I'd offer to buy it, as I have not tried a Hess but heard good things about it. PM me if interested. I can also trade another razor for it if you don't want to sell.

Cheers
Ivo

Not sure what you are trading for it, but it looks to be in great condition.
It is kindof hard to tell from your pictures, but I don't think it is stainless.
A stainless Hess will generally have this on the blade:
proxy.php

Hope this helps some?
John P.

Not sure what you are trading for it, but it looks to be in great condition.
It is kindof hard to tell from your pictures, but I don't think it is stainless.

Hope this helps some?
John P.

Thanks for the help. The box refers to "swedish steel" but I do not know what that means, Process? composition? place? I want this razor to be a good first razor that will give me an honest shot at a rewarding str8 shave.

Where yours has the #42, this one has the #1 - any significance to this?

Bill

Hi Bill,
Honestly I don't see why that razor wouldn't give you a good shave, the key being if it is honed and stropped to a genuinely shave-ready edge. I wish the pictures were clearer, but I also know from experience how hard it is without a good setup to photograph a straight (there are tricks to it, I'm learning). The 42 on mine is just the model number, I think; mine is a 4/8; I've seen an almost identical one in 5/8 that was a Hess "44".
Swedish steel is just that. The steel used in the razor was sourced from foundries in Sweden. Eskilstuna(where Swedish steel usually comes from) steel is highly thought of both by razor manufacturers as well as shavers, including myself. It might not be stainless, but bear in mind that Swedish steel is used in most of the more expensive Dovo razors, as well as in the highly sought Dubl Ducks including the Wonderedge, as well as others.
It isn't a bad thing.
The number 1 on the blade? I don't know to be honest what that model refers to, but I've seen other razor manufacturers use the No. 1 for theirs as well, usually for a no-frills, great performing razor marketed to barbers-who do not necessarily need cracked ice handles or pretty inlays....
Dare I ask what you plan to trade for it? FWIW I would probably bid on that if I saw it on the 'Bay, although unfortunately at the moment I'm a bit broke, and even parting with one of my favorites currently....so buying another is out of the question for me at the moment. :rolleyes:
I think you'll do ok with it personally, if it doesn't shave you well enough, I'm guessing you've already joined up at straightrazorplace and found who to send it to for its first honing? The first honing may be all you need. Most end up doing it themselves after that, some by trial and error, before...
Good luck if you trade for it, looks like a nice razor.
John P.

Dare I ask what you plan to trade for it? FWIW I would probably bid on that if I saw it on the 'Bay, although unfortunately at the moment I'm a bit broke, and even parting with one of my favorites currently....so buying another is out of the question for me at the moment. :rolleyes:
I think you'll do ok with it personally, if it doesn't shave you well enough, I'm guessing you've already joined up at straightrazorplace and found who to send it to for its first honing? The first honing may be all you need. Most end up doing it themselves after that, some by trial and error, before...
Good luck if you trade for it, looks like a nice razor.
John P.

In the proposed trade, I acquire this razor - my syntax must be off above. What I give up is unrelated to shaving and valued at about $20. When I told this person I was looking to try a str8, she told she had given one to her husband about 10 yrs ago and he used it twice and then hasn't touched it. Since I do not know a thing about str8s I thought I would seek some f/b before completing the trade. I beleive I have enough info and will go through with the trade.

Thanks very much for the help!!

Bill

Bill,
in that case, I would jump on that deal like it was about to go out of style. IF the razor is in good condition, which it looks to be, it is easily worth the trade value you are mentioning, and then some. Perhaps quite a bit more.
Go for it.
For 20, I wouldn't even think about it, I would just buy it (trade for it)
That is a great deal, especially with the strops included. A strop alone will cost twice that.
My friend, you've found one of the good ones it would seem.
If the razor isn't sharp enough, you could send it for honing, and even after spending the 20 bucks for that, you would still likely be well on the good side of the trade.
Hope that helps some?
John P.

I'll 2nd that and say for $20 its a sure win. If you decide you dont want it, you can sell it to me.
Hess is a very well regarded razor, the lukewarm reception here surprises the hell out of me.

Dave

Dave,
not me.
Hess is a razor well known to straight enthusiasts, but remember we are a minority here; most of the attention and knowledge by far is centered around DE's.
Bill, had you posted on SRP, people would have instantly been drooling.....
I could not believe when you said the trade value was only 20....had it been one of us we would have taken the poor woman's arm off....
Quite a good deal you got, IMHO. :thumbup1:
John P.

Nice razor - not an expert, but I would easily pay $20 for that and some strops.

Swedish steel is very well thought of.

I'm barely starting to investigate straight shaving. But from what I've seen, that should be great. And a heck of a deal, at that price.

Just send it off to one of the honemeisters before using.

-Mo

Are we still talking about this razor? Send it to me, I'll hone it and send it to you. If you still don't like it, I'll buy it for $25.

Top Bottom