What's new

What does the science say?

Yea, every B&B member believes in this and that about wet shaving. It's entertaining to follow theories about how to use a slant, break in a brush, produce lather, and dry your brush, ... But what does the science say?

Out of curiosity, since I work at a research institute (not related to dermatology or metal processing) and have access to scientific papers, I did some basic searches on wet shaving. I hereby present 5 i found most interesting so far. As you know people have died sharing research papers before (link), so I cannot just attach the papers, but if anyone is interested in a particular paper, send me a dm. Some might be open access anyway.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR OWN FINDINGS AND INTERESTING PAPERS!

1.Anthrax Cases Associated with Animal-Hair Shaving Brushes
abstract:
During the First World War, anthrax cases in the United States and England increased greatly and seemed to be associated with use of new shaving brushes. Further investigation revealed that the source material and origin of shaving brushes had changed during the war. Cheap brushes of imported horsehair were being made to look like the preferred badger-hair brushes. Unfortunately, some of these brushes were not effectively disinfected and brought with them a nasty stowaway: Bacillus anthracis. A review of outbreak summaries, surveillance data, and case reports indicated that these cases originated from the use of ineffectively disinfected animal-hair shaving brushes. This historical information is relevant to current public health practice because renewed interest in vintage and animal-hair shaving brushes has been seen in popular culture. This information should help healthcare providers and public health officials answer questions on this topic.
link to paper
practical implications and personal thoughts: Don'tbuy horse brushes from untrusted sources (research has shown that herbivores, such as horses, are more susceptible to anthrax than omnivores, such as badgers and pigs). Don't buy vintage horse brushes from before 1930. The paper is a fascinating read in terms of shaving brush history (eg. the fact that horse brushes were often sold as badger to cut the costs).

2.The male beard hair and facial skin – challenges for shaving
Abstract:
The challenge of shaving is to cut the beard hair as closely as possible to the skin without unwanted effects on the skin. To achieve this requires the understanding of beard hair and male facial skin biology as both, the beard hair and the male facial skin, contribute to the difficulties in obtaining an effective shave without shaving-induced skin irritation. Little information is available on the biology of beard hairs and beard hair follicles. We know that, in beard hairs, the density, thickness, stiffness, as well as the rates of elliptical shape and low emerging angle, are high and highly heterogeneous. All of this makes it challenging to cut it, and shaving techniques commonly employed to overcome these challenges include shaving with increased pressure and multiple stroke shaving, which increase the probability and extent of shaving-induced skin irritation. Several features of male facial skin pose problems to a perfect shave. The male facial skin is heterogeneous in morphology and roughness, and male skin has a tendency to heal slower and to develop hyperinflammatory pigmentation. In addition, many males exhibit sensitive skin, with the face most often affected. Finally, the hair follicle is a sensory organ, and the perifollicular skin is highly responsive to external signals including mechanical and thermal stimulation. Perifollicular skin is rich in vasculature, innervation and cells of the innate and adaptive immune system. This makes perifollicular skin a highly responsive and inflammatory system, especially in individuals with sensitive skin. Activation of this system, by shaving, can result in shaving-induced skin irritation. Techniques commonly employed to avoid shaving-induced skin irritation include shaving with less pressure, pre- and post-shave skin treatment and to stop shaving altogether. Recent advances in shaving technology have addressed some but not all of these issues. A better understanding of beard hairs, beard hair follicles and male facial skin is needed to develop novel and better approaches to overcome the challenge of shaving. This article covers what is known about the physical properties of beard hairs and skin and why those present a challenge for blade and electric shaving, respectively.
link to paper
Personal thoughts: A bit of a long read about a huge variety of skin types and shaving problems these skin types present. Not really an exciting read and no great conclusions from the paper.

3. Insights into shaving and its impact on skin
Abstract:
Male grooming has its roots in antiquity. Control and styling of facial hair has invariably required the development and use of metal instrumentation. Once crude and unreliable, it has latterly become sophisticated and subject to intense research and development at the highest scientific level. This paper describes how male grooming is being impacted by improvements in fundamental understanding of male skin. Skin issues associated with poor hair removal approaches are common, but are often overlooked or their aetiology misunderstood by patients and physicians. By incorporating advanced scientific measurement and imaging technology into clinical testing, insights are being gained into both the common concerns which men express and optimal solutions for these concerns. Specific aspects such as the study of nicks and cuts and the identification and release of trapped hairs are discussed. Finally, details are presented on how the individual elements of technologically advanced razors play a role in managing the skin and hair, highlighting further the complexity of the shaving process.
Personal thoughts:
Great paper with lots of interesting micro photos of hair and skin. Also loads of measures of ingrown hair, nicks, cuts, etc. Apparently, most nicks happen on the neck, not the chin (where I usually get them). This is because the neck is particularly "prone to trapped hairs due to the unique physiological characteristics of the skin and hair, particularly loose, rough skin and high incidence of low-lying hairs." You can improve the release of the trapped hairs by using brush + cream or facial scrub:
2022-11-17 21_32_22-Desktop Dimmer.png

4. Overview and trends in male grooming
Abstract:
The use of cosmetics and medical cosmetic procedures by men has been widely ignored in dermatological research in the past, but it is finding increasing attention. As men are changing their habits and increasingly tend to use cosmetic products, the dermatologist will be asked for expert advice regarding efficacy and safety of cosmetics for male skin. For this service, dermatologists need to be aware of anatomical and physiological differences between male and female skin, about specific environmental stress factors affecting male skin, about cosmetic practices and product use especially regarding shaving, and about the counselling needs in men relating to protective cosmetic use.
Link to paper
Personal thoughts: Some insight about differences in male to female skin biology. Male have higher collagen density, less subcuts, facial sebum levels are higher in men, pH of skin is lower. "Seventy per cent of all men shave with a razor blade (so-called ‘wet shavers’) and they shave on average 4–5 times a week." What i found very contra intuitive is that men spend more on pre-shave than on post-shave products. This is contra intuitive because I rarely spend money on pre-shave products. I have a feeling they have put shaving soaps and cremes into that category:
2022-11-17 21_43_31-Desktop Dimmer.png

5. Materials and desing in Gillette razors
Abstract: The historical development of Gillette wet shaving products is described in relation to the problems posed by the nature of the hair and skin, and the features introduced to improve product performance. The materials and processes used to manufacture the products by the hundreds of million are explained.
link to paper
Personal thoughts and quotes: Note that this is a paper from 1991, so its more of a historical review of shaving manufacturing. Very interesting nontheless especially because it features some nice vintage photos. Facts (outdated): Modern razor blades are made from a semi-stainless steel containing 0.65-0.7% carbon and 12-14% chromium. Most of the blade steel used in the world is made by two manufacturers, Hitachi Metals in Japan and British Steel in Sheffield. Blade edge is extremely sharp stainless steel, coated with 30 nanometres of chromium-platinum, over-coated with low molecular weight PTFE. The PTFE coating is key to the performance of modern systems. It dates back to a Gillette discovery made in the 1950s, in the days when blades were made from plain carbon steel, that certain low friction coatings,
applied to the blade facets under certain conditions, can greatly reduce the force to cut hair.
A good portion of the paper is discussing technology around the "Sensor" cartridge shaver developed in 1990. Its a great insight in what thought process is needed for designing such a "simple" razor
2022-11-17 21_59_49-Desktop Dimmer.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
WOW, I didn't know that there was a serious amount of science done, on the arts of wet shaving. I also didn't know about the Anthrax outbreak on horse hair shaving brushes, that is just not something people talk about today. Scary if you think about it. I am just grateful that I was never interested in horse hair brushes. I got 2-synthetics, and 2-silver tipped badgers, thats all I need lol.

And according to the study findings, it is indeed proven true, that proper facial preparation, is what really helps you to achieve, the best and longest lasting shave. I mean, we've always suspected that was the case, as it always feel's like we get nicer shaves, when we put time towards facial prep, and its just nice to have that confirmed is all.

Yes, the anthrax discovery in brushes was a very unexpected find for me as well. There are plenty of discussions from the early 20-century era stored in archived scientific papers. It is full of racial prejudice and a reminder that science can be dirty too ;)
2022-11-17 22_09_18-Desktop Dimmer.png

What is this about shaving without soap??? Some theories about that, here: (Again, very poor science, but a nice historical find)

Last edited:
WOW, I didn't know that there was a serious amount of science done, on the arts of wet shaving. I also didn't know about the Anthrax outbreak on horse hair shaving brushes, that is just not something people talk about today. Scary if you think about it. I am just grateful that I was never interested in horse hair brushes. I got 2-synthetics, and 2-silver tipped badgers, thats all I need lol.

And according to the study findings, it is indeed proven true, that proper facial preparation, is what really helps you to achieve, the best and longest lasting shave. I mean, we've always suspected that was the case, as it always feel's like we get nicer shaves, when we put time towards facial prep, and its just nice to have that confirmed is all.
Don't be scared of modern Horse hair brushes, you won't get Anthrax from them.

Yea, every B&B member believes in this and that about wet shaving. It's entertaining to follow theories about how to use a slant, break in a brush, produce lather, and dry your brush, ... But what does the science say?

Out of curiosity, since I work at a research institute (not related to dermatology or metal processing) and have access to scientific papers, I did some basic searches on wet shaving. I hereby present 5 i found most interesting so far. As you know people have died sharing research papers before (link), so I cannot just attach the papers, but if anyone is interested in a particular paper, send me a dm. Some might be open access anyway.

abstract:
During the First World War, anthrax cases in the United States and England increased greatly and seemed to be associated with use of new shaving brushes. Further investigation revealed that the source material and origin of shaving brushes had changed during the war. Cheap brushes of imported horsehair were being made to look like the preferred badger-hair brushes. Unfortunately, some of these brushes were not effectively disinfected and brought with them a nasty stowaway: Bacillus anthracis. A review of outbreak summaries, surveillance data, and case reports indicated that these cases originated from the use of ineffectively disinfected animal-hair shaving brushes. This historical information is relevant to current public health practice because renewed interest in vintage and animal-hair shaving brushes has been seen in popular culture. This information should help healthcare providers and public health officials answer questions on this topic.
link to paper
practical implications and personal thoughts: Don'tbuy horse brushes from untrusted sources (research has shown that herbivores, such as horses, are more susceptible to anthrax than omnivores, such as badgers and pigs). Don't buy vintage horse brushes from before 1930. The paper is a fascinating read in terms of shaving brush history (eg. the fact that horse brushes were often sold as badger to cut the costs).

Abstract:
The challenge of shaving is to cut the beard hair as closely as possible to the skin without unwanted effects on the skin. To achieve this requires the understanding of beard hair and male facial skin biology as both, the beard hair and the male facial skin, contribute to the difficulties in obtaining an effective shave without shaving-induced skin irritation. Little information is available on the biology of beard hairs and beard hair follicles. We know that, in beard hairs, the density, thickness, stiffness, as well as the rates of elliptical shape and low emerging angle, are high and highly heterogeneous. All of this makes it challenging to cut it, and shaving techniques commonly employed to overcome these challenges include shaving with increased pressure and multiple stroke shaving, which increase the probability and extent of shaving-induced skin irritation. Several features of male facial skin pose problems to a perfect shave. The male facial skin is heterogeneous in morphology and roughness, and male skin has a tendency to heal slower and to develop hyperinflammatory pigmentation. In addition, many males exhibit sensitive skin, with the face most often affected. Finally, the hair follicle is a sensory organ, and the perifollicular skin is highly responsive to external signals including mechanical and thermal stimulation. Perifollicular skin is rich in vasculature, innervation and cells of the innate and adaptive immune system. This makes perifollicular skin a highly responsive and inflammatory system, especially in individuals with sensitive skin. Activation of this system, by shaving, can result in shaving-induced skin irritation. Techniques commonly employed to avoid shaving-induced skin irritation include shaving with less pressure, pre- and post-shave skin treatment and to stop shaving altogether. Recent advances in shaving technology have addressed some but not all of these issues. A better understanding of beard hairs, beard hair follicles and male facial skin is needed to develop novel and better approaches to overcome the challenge of shaving. This article covers what is known about the physical properties of beard hairs and skin and why those present a challenge for blade and electric shaving, respectively.
link to paper
Personal thoughts: A bit of a long read about a huge variety of skin types and shaving problems these skin types present. Not really an exciting read and no great conclusions from the paper.

Abstract:
Male grooming has its roots in antiquity. Control and styling of facial hair has invariably required the development and use of metal instrumentation. Once crude and unreliable, it has latterly become sophisticated and subject to intense research and development at the highest scientific level. This paper describes how male grooming is being impacted by improvements in fundamental understanding of male skin. Skin issues associated with poor hair removal approaches are common, but are often overlooked or their aetiology misunderstood by patients and physicians. By incorporating advanced scientific measurement and imaging technology into clinical testing, insights are being gained into both the common concerns which men express and optimal solutions for these concerns. Specific aspects such as the study of nicks and cuts and the identification and release of trapped hairs are discussed. Finally, details are presented on how the individual elements of technologically advanced razors play a role in managing the skin and hair, highlighting further the complexity of the shaving process.
Personal thoughts: Great paper with lots of interesting micro photos of hair and skin. Also loads of measures of ingrown hair, nicks, cuts, etc. Apparently, most nicks happen on the neck, not the chin (where I usually get them). This is because the neck is particularly "prone to trapped hairs due to the unique physiological characteristics of the skin and hair, particularly loose, rough skin and high incidence of low-lying hairs." You can improve the release of the trapped hairs by using brush + cream or facial scrub:
View attachment 1558332

Abstract:
The use of cosmetics and medical cosmetic procedures by men has been widely ignored in dermatological research in the past, but it is finding increasing attention. As men are changing their habits and increasingly tend to use cosmetic products, the dermatologist will be asked for expert advice regarding efficacy and safety of cosmetics for male skin. For this service, dermatologists need to be aware of anatomical and physiological differences between male and female skin, about specific environmental stress factors affecting male skin, about cosmetic practices and product use especially regarding shaving, and about the counselling needs in men relating to protective cosmetic use.
Link to paper
Personal thoughts: Some insight about differences in male to female skin biology. Male have higher collagen density, less subcuts, facial sebum levels are higher in men, pH of skin is lower. "Seventy per cent of all men shave with a razor blade (so-called ‘wet shavers’) and they shave on average 4–5 times a week." What i found very contra intuitive is that men spend more on pre-shave than on post-shave products. This is contra intuitive because I rarely spend money on pre-shave products. I have a feeling they have put shaving soaps and cremes into that category:
View attachment 1558340

Abstract: The historical development of Gillette wet shaving products is described in relation to the problems posed by the nature of the hair and skin, and the features introduced to improve product performance. The materials and processes used to manufacture the products by the hundreds of million are explained.
link to paper
Personal thoughts and quotes: Note that this is a paper from 1991, so its more of a historical review of shaving manufacturing. Very interesting nontheless especially because it features some nice vintage photos. Facts (outdated): Modern razor blades are made from a semi-stainless steel containing 0.65-0.7% carbon and 12-14% chromium. Most of the blade steel used in the world is made by two manufacturers, Hitachi Metals in Japan and British Steel in Sheffield. Blade edge is extremely sharp stainless steel, coated with 30 nanometres of chromium-platinum, over-coated with low molecular weight PTFE. The PTFE coating is key to the performance of modern systems. It dates back to a Gillette discovery made in the 1950s, in the days when blades were made from plain carbon steel, that certain low friction coatings,
applied to the blade facets under certain conditions, can greatly reduce the force to cut hair.
A good portion of the paper is discussing technology around the "Sensor" cartridge shaver developed in 1990. Its a great insight in what thought process is needed for designing such a "simple" razor
View attachment 1558342
Great read, thanks for the info and the time you put into it!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

abstract:
link to paper

Abstract:
link to paper

Abstract:
Personal thoughts: Great paper with lots of interesting micro photos of hair and skin. Also loads of measures of ingrown hair, nicks, cuts, etc. Apparently, most nicks happen on the neck, not the chin (where I usually get them). This is because the neck is particularly "prone to trapped hairs due to the unique physiological characteristics of the skin and hair, particularly loose, rough skin and high incidence of low-lying hairs." You can improve the release of the trapped hairs by using brush + cream or facial scrub:
View attachment 1558332

Abstract:
Link to paper
View attachment 1558340

link to paper
View attachment 1558342
98% of scientists agree with those who fund them.

98% of scientists agree with those who fund them.
Completely untrue and, frankly, unfair. It ls a common bias that I would prefer not be perpetuated.
For a counterpoint, I will tell you that when I was a bench top basic scientist at Vanderbilt, I not only didn't agree with the company that funded one of my studies, but I took it one step further and put the company completely out of business. They were awaiting FDA approval to do a human study of their product, which I had tested in animals, and we told the FDA the drug wasn't safe. Therefore, they lost the go-ahead to try their product and as a consequence the company went under.

The Case of the Deadly Brush

I got rather fascinated by the whole anthrax thing, so I found an excellent review paper about this topic in Spanish and, together with some other scientific papers, made this short recap of this peculiar shaving story. Enjoy!

Anthrax is a worldwide zoonosis that affects most animals, especially herbivores. Anthrax can be acquired through different routes: respiratory, digestive and skin.

Before World War I, shaving brushes were made of badger, horse or boar hair, but the badger were more prized due to their ability to retain water. With the war, the supply from Russia became difficult, and they began to be made with horse hair, mainly from China and especially Japan. In addition, the shipping route to the USA began to be carried out by the Pacific without the European guarantees of cleanliness and sterilisation. The consequence was the appearance of some cases of anthrax in 1915 in England and Ireland and the following year in New York, which was the centre of outbreaks in the USA .

The cases were more frequent with light-colored brushes. It is thought that because disinfection at high temperatures eliminates the light color they stopped resembling badger hair brushes. So no disinfection took place. In subsequent analysis of deadly brushes, not only horse hair was found as a badger substitute. Traces of “goat-like”, canine and cow hair were found in these cheap brushes.

The outbreaks affected civilians and soldiers. In the latter case, they seem to be linked with the use of chlorine gas and mustard gas in 1915 and 1917 and the need to shave, believing that it was a more effective measure for surviving gas attacks due to the more efficient use of gas masks. British officers, faced with head and neck infections of soldiers, at first thought it was due to “diabolical enemy tactics. There were 149 cases with 22 deaths recorded in the American army, 13 death cases of British soldiers in France and six more cases in the marines, which led to the prohibition of brushes manufactured in Japan. As for the civilians, there were around 30 death cases reported in Britain and the US, 19 in India, and 13 in Trinidad. In Trinidad, the outbreak was caused exclusively due to goat hair brushes.

2022-11-18 15_31_10-Desktop Dimmer.png

fig1: Mentioning of goat hair in shaving brushes found in the 1916 anthrax outbreak. From: AN OUTBREAK OF ANTHRAX CONVEYED BY INFECTED SHAVING BRUSHES, 1916

The course of the infection was very rapid, as was described in the case of Professor Ellerman, from the University of Copenhagen. He got an infection on December 17th and died before Christmas. The New York Department of Health found that 80% of cultured brushes had B. anthracis spores , and at Bellevue Hospital, of 41 brushes investigated, 7.3% were contaminated. Once the cause was known, control measures were implemented in places like the US. In 1918 the College of Surgeons published a method for disinfection of brush hair, and the New York City Board of Health issued a proclamation for all types of brushes with the obligation to put the word "sterilised" and the name of the manufacturer on all brushes. In this way the problem disappeared, although in the following decades, there were isolated cases.

There is plenty of anthrax news in the UK newspapers of that time relating to cattle, but little to brush. Out of 480 anthrax stories of the time reviewed in British newspapers, there are only about 23 anthrax stories from shaving brushes (4.8% of all anthrax stories). The relatively high number of reporting shows the high occurrence of anthrax infections at that time.

2022-11-18 15_33_50-Desktop Dimmer.png

Fig2: Table of reported cases of anthrax (in %), from "Anthrax as an Occupational Disease", 1929

In the UK, during the Victorian era, the beard and other aspects of facial hair re-emerged in popularity due to the Crimean War (1853-1856). The beard proliferated in the soldiers since it kept them warmer in a cold winter environment. This also made beards fashionable in the society of the time, mostly in academic and political circles. Some doctors also recommended it to prevent dental conditions, nasal catarrh and neuralgia. In the 20th century, this fashion was losing strength due to the theory of "germs" in hospitals. Beards can harbour bacteria such as the tubercle bacillus. Hence, hospitals from 1890 shaved their patients to prevent infection. In New York an edict was passed prohibiting milkmen from wearing beards, since they could harbor dirt or tubercle bacillus that would end up contaminating the milk. Later this prohibition was extended to doctors who could increase the mortality of patients by wearing a beard. With the advent of mass-produced disposable razors by the Gilette company, the beard declined in popularity

1668785919443.png

Fig3: Shaved soldiers wearing gas masks. Source: BBC

Although Agatha Christie was not formally trained as a pharmacist, she came to the world of pharmaceuticals as a volunteer nurse during World War I. While serving at the Torquay Red Cross Hospital she trained on the job and took an examination that made her the equivalent of a pharmacist's assistant. Agatha Christie resumed her public health duties during World War II, gaining extensive experience dispensing medicine to general public and soldiers. Of the nearly 300 victims of her novels, in at least 41 poisons were used, mainly in this order: cyanide, arsenic, strychnicne and digitalis. Agatha Christie was aware of anthrax from shaving brushes from the press at the time. She incorporated it into her novel Cards on the Table from 1936 (Hercule Poirot case). The killer uses spores of B. anthracis on shaving brush. The victim died from spores on his shaving brush that were transmitted while shaving due to razor abrasions and cuts. Agatha Christie, however, does not explain how the killer obtained the spores, handled them, and placed them on the brush without risk to himself. Note that murder by brush only happened in the book and not in the later movie adaptation with the same title.

1668787082104.png

Fig 4. First edition cover of the Agatha Christie book where the murder by infected brush happened.

The anthrax outbreak occurred during the first World War, when resources were limited and suppliers were not properly sterilizing the natural bristles. It is even speculated that the horse hair used for those brushes may have been harvested from horses that actually died from anthrax. Waste not, want not?

It is no longer a problem, nor is it dangerous to use any brush made since 1930 - per the CDC.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I find myself warming to that statement!

Reminds me of my days in medical research, when the question "What does the data show?" was answered by "What do you want it to show?"
Yeah. The 98% quote was actually a hyperbolic comment directed at the current medical industry. From reading "Turtles All the Way Down", I'm beginning to actually believe it.

Reactions: tm3
...PLEASE SHARE...

...Insights into shaving and its impact on skin...
I find Dr. Kevin Cowley, Kristina Vanoosthuyze, Gillian McFeat and Keith Ertel research work to be game-changer and to bring scientific explanation to many of our Eureka moments.
Without their research work I would still be in darkness. They made everyday shaving possible for me, in the most pleasant way, for the last 10 years. Shaving is my every morning spa time.
I am thankful to these people and respect their work in this field.

Insights into shaving and its impact on skin

The biomechanics of blade shaving

Thanks @kosovel for posting this information.

Maybe I was not that clear, but I did not want for this thread to turn into "do or dont trust science". It was more to explore another source of information that was maybe hidden from the forum so far. And to have fun. I mean, who would have thought Agatha Christie killed a man in a book with a shaving brush?! And that there was a law saying that all milkmen needed to be freshly shaven! That is the point - to find unexpected and interesting shaving facts not all of us knew and have fun while browsing the web.

Yeah. The 98% quote was actually a hyperbolic comment directed at the current medical industry. From reading "Turtles All the Way Down", I'm beginning to actually believe it.
Wow, amazing reviews on that one and its going on my to-read list. Sounds similar to Robert Kennedy's book, which you might also enjoy.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The anthrax outbreak occurred during the first World War, when resources were limited and suppliers were not properly sterilizing the natural bristles. It is even speculated that the horse hair used for those brushes may have been harvested from horses that actually died from anthrax. Waste not, want not?

It is no longer a problem, nor is it dangerous to use any brush made since 1930 - per the CDC.
Here's a more modern way to contract it, but very rare.

Maybe I was not that clear, but I did not want for this thread to turn into "do or dont trust science". It was more to explore another source of information that was maybe hidden from the forum so far. And to have fun. I mean, who would have thought Agatha Christie killed a man in a book with a shaving brush?! And that there was a law saying that all milkmen needed to be freshly shaven! That is the point - to find unexpected and interesting shaving facts not all of us knew and have fun while browsing the web.

Anthrax and shaving brushes has been discussed here in the past. I started a thread months ago, because I was fascinated by the history.

My post above was not meant to be argumentative or contrary in any way, just trying to inform folks that may worry that a threat still exists - it does not - but still a very interesting bit of shaving history.

Top Bottom