What's new

Henson++ vs Overlander vs Meta 4

Rad is kicking in again. So if you had to choose from one of these 3. Which would it be and why? Or possibly open to other razor suggestions too. Looking for smooth/efficient auto pilot and under $100

I cannot comment on Meta 4; no experience. Between the Henson ++ and Overlander, that is a tough call. They are very similar in efficiency, comfort, and precision workmanship. Personally, I prefer the Overlander in brass for its weight, and its butter-like smoothness, especially against the grain.

(** I only have experience with the original Henson, not the current version)

My only experience is with Henson; I tried all 3 (+, ++, and +++) in aluminum. For me, only the aggressive (+++) was an acceptable performer, but I don't care for the light weight (and what I consider to be an ugly handle design). IMO there are better razors for the money. One that has pleasantly surprised me is the Pearl Blaze: It is similar to the venerable DE89/R89 design, except it's machined brass (very good quality) and a little bit more efficient.

I guess it depends who you ask, but I think the Muhle R41 is smooth and efficient. The head is $25 on Amazon, then get a handle from Razorock for around $20. I'd only go this route if you're okay with aggressive razors. They claim in the description that this newer R41 head is chromed brass, so no zamak.

As I understand it, the R41 is known for having a fair amount of "blade feel." I have the stainless steel one. It's quite efficient, but not what I would characterize as a "smooth everyday" razor. (As the previous poster said, it does depend a lot on who you ask.)

I have the Henson +++ and the Overlander, in three metals. The Henson and Overlander are my top razors. IMO, the Henson is just a tiny bit more efficient. But, the Overlander is very close in performance, and in brass, would be the one, if I had to choose. Mainly because of the better and more robust brass (or stainless) over the more fragile anodized aluminum of the Henson.

Also, IMO, the Overlander is a more visually appealing razor, a true classic.

Overlander_brass1.jpg

Mainly because of the better and more robust brass (or stainless) over the more fragile anodized aluminum of the Henson.

I have 3 different aluminum Henson razors and all 3 arrived with cosmetic blemishes. Even the standard "aircraft aluminum" color had blemishes.

I have 3 aluminum Karve razors (Christopher Bradley, Overlander, and Bison) and the anodization on all 3 razors is perfect.

I have the Henson +++ and the Overlander, in three metals. The Henson and Overlander are my top razors. IMO, the Henson is just a tiny bit more efficient. But, the Overlander is very close in performance, and in brass, would be the one, if I had to choose. Mainly because of the better and more robust brass (or stainless) over the more fragile anodized aluminum of the Henson.

Also, IMO, the Overlander is a more visually appealing razor, a true classic.

View attachment 1845227

Actually, this is a better picture:

Overlander_brass3.jpg

META-4 is an incredible razor that widely has its praises sung on nearly every forum except this one. It doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. It's the smoothest razor I've ever used that maintains considerable efficiency, whereas my Karve CB, 6S and pretty much every other razor I own for that matter...despite being great razors... give up comparatively more "efficiency" for equivalent "smoothness".
For example, my 6S with plate 3 is slightly smoother than my META-4 while being considerably less efficient. Inversely, my Karve with a SB-D is slightly more efficient while being considerably less smooth.
Everybody always describes razors they like as "efficient while still being smooth". The META-4 is the only razor I've used that i would make the same claim, whereas, again, all my other razors sacrifice one thing for another more disproportionately.

It also has exceptional build quality. At least as good as Karve... perhaps slightly better, and significantly better than my 6S and Henson especially (both still great razors). I was actually quite disappointed with Henson's build quality.

EDIT/P.S. -- It also has, by far, the deepest/grippiest knurling I've ever experienced on a razor.

It also has exceptional build quality. At least as good as Karve... perhaps slightly better, and significantly better than my 6S and Henson especially
Agree with everything you wrote but this... Karve is better build quality as the Meta-4 has a lot of machine marks even if to me they look cool.

I would consider the blade gap and exposure compared to razors you like and work well for you. The Karve Bison is between the Henson+ and +++ in terms of blade gap and works great for me so I highly recommend it. I forgot how the exposure compares but Bison has +ve exposure as I believe does the Henson. Apparently the Bison has become very popular as the Karve website now says there is a back order due to demand.

Top Bottom