What's new

Henson AL13 mild give me cuts! - what in earth am I doing wrong? :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I tried again with no pressure, and it works like a charm! Now I know that it was a good buy :)
Since I am starting, and I have no experience with safety razors, maybe you could give me some advice on some good razor blades? I have 4 RK blades from the Henson, and now with no pressure, I kind of like them, but maybe there are some better razor blades? I heard about feathers but those are quite expensive, but maybe worth it?
What do you use?

Best Regards!
I think the Astra SP(Green) are the best fit in my henson mild, for me anyway. Smooth as silk, they cut like hot knife through butter and I get 6 shaves out of them (Head and Face). 9$ for 100

Pretty much what everyone has said. I waited to experiment with blades until I got a solid handle on lathering - about - 8 weeks into my journey. I then picked up a blade sample pack and documented the beginning of my blade journey over here.

So far, the Personna Platinums (the German, Israeli Reds) have given me 4 nearly perfect shaves this week. I wouldn't have thought this possible 3 weeks ago.

The Mens Room Batbershop's sampler included be them. I wouldn't have thought to try them based on the most popular suggestions I've trad here, and for the same reason, they may not work for you.

I've not tried beard lube, and I agree with the comment above, that it defeats the goal of saturating your beard. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have enough to dial in without adding another variable. One day, I'll see if my theory is well founded ;-)

... Thom

Last edited:
I find the Tatra Platinum Premium Stainless to be a good blade. I can use with any of my razors and can count on getting a minimum of four shaves. It’s quite as sharp as the Feather, but it gets the job done and is pretty forgiving.

Everyone has already mentioned too much pressure. The one other thing which can sometimes catch people out is making tiny lateral movements to "position" the razor before they actually make a shaving stroke. You can get away with that kind of action using a cartridge because the blades are set back from the shaving plane and won't cut until the razor is actually pressed down. Do that with a safety razor (even a very mild one like the Henson) and it's going to cut you.

The trick to it, which requires a bit of skill that quickly develops from experience, is to have the razor already in motion when it makes (gentle) contact with the skin, rather than trying to place it and then move it.

Sounds like you already have it sorted, but I thought I would mention this as it is an aspect of shaving technique that rarely gets discussed - I think we mostly take it for granted, and forget that when you are starting 100% from scratch it is something that you need to learn how to do!

Hi Guys,
After watching the videos and reading your suggestions I came up with those razor blades:
20230711_163225.jpg

Will try one of each every week and I hope at least one will be THE ONE haha :)

Also, after reading all your responses, I got to say... What a great community you have here!
I very much appreciate every tip you guys gave me, thank you!

I have a AL13+++ and I struggled with it the first 5-6 shaves, for me it was a combination of issues.
First, I was applying too much pressure, light aluminum razors are not my preference. I felt if I did not apply pressure the razor bounced or skipped off my face, when I applied pressure it was too much. I tried Feather, Nacet, GSB, WSG, Shark, and Personna Platinum all to success. I fount the Henson considerably more aggressive and less smooth than my R41. Lastly, I tried it with a Astra SP, my go to blade in my R41. This is where things came together. Once I had the blade I, i was able to trust the head and ride it as designed. I can now shave without irritation and it does a decent job.

I am not sure I will keep it, I really do not like how light the Henson razors are. In my opinion, the Henson is meant to be a mild razor that's pretty automatic for people swapping from cartages. An introductory razor of sorts. My mistake was assuming that I could take that automatic a approach to their aggressive razor. My beard grows too thick and coarse to enjoy the Henson as so many people do. I really respect what they are doing at Henson, they will being many more people into the DE razor, wet shaving world. Their product is just not for me.

@Gzyniu we're really more enablers than helpful. Stick around here long enough and next thing you know you'll be way down a rabbit hole surrounded by DE shaving goods! :biggrin1:

You've got a good selection of blades to try. Enjoy the journey.

I finally bought Al13 mild as they were selling new for $35 on Poshmark. I found that the large flat cutting face floats on top of the foam and I have to press down to get it to cut or I have to keep my lather very thin and watery which is a buzz kill for me as I really enjoy lathering part the most. So I also get cuts because I refuse to use thin lather.

I love aluminum razors and have many of them but Henson is the most difficult to use. Have to really line up that angle flat to the face unlike may others that are more forgiving. If you want razor that won't cut you, get Tritok Flat R54 or R57 head from Maggard. $35. It's the most mild razor out there. Feels exactly like single blade white Bic.

I finally bought Al13 mild as they were selling new for $35 on Poshmark. I found that the large flat cutting face floats on top of the foam and I have to press down to get it to cut or I have to keep my lather very thin and watery which is a buzz kill for me as I really enjoy lathering part the most. So I also get cuts because I refuse to use thin lather.

I love aluminum razors and have many of them but Henson is the most difficult to use. Have to really line up that angle flat to the face unlike may others that are more forgiving. If you want razor that won't cut you, get Tritok Flat R54 or R57 head from Maggard. $35. It's the most mild razor out there. Feels exactly like single blade white Bic.
I noticed some hydroplaning/floating when I whip up my Cella too densely - the way the YouTubers show it.

It took one or two tries to dial in a touch more water so my lather is still fluffy/peaky (highly overrated in this noob's humble opinion), while not being runny/drippy.

Give this a try and report back. The AL13+ is my first DE razor in a half century, so I have no other reference point.

While I'm liking my Henson, you don't know better until you experience it.

This has raised my curiosity about trying av Razorock GC . 68.

This is place could be bad for my cash flow ;-)

... Thom

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I tried again with no pressure, and it works like a charm! Now I know that it was a good buy :)
Since I am starting, and I have no experience with safety razors, maybe you could give me some advice on some good razor blades? I have 4 RK blades from the Henson, and now with no pressure, I kind of like them, but maybe there are some better razor blades? I heard about feathers but those are quite expensive, but maybe worth it?
What do you use?

Best Regards!

New myself - best thing I did was to buy a sample pack, more than a dozen different makers... 5 blades each. Taking my time to try them out, refine my technique and decide what I want to stick with for a while.

Pretty much what everyone has said. I waited to experiment with blades until I got a solid handle on lathering - about - 8 weeks into my journey. I then picked up a blade sample pack and documented the beginning of my blade journey over here.

So far, the Personna Platinums (the German, Israeli Reds) have given me 4 nearly perfect shaves this week. I wouldn't have thought this possible 3 weeks ago.

The Mens Room Batbershop's sampler included be them. I wouldn't have thought to try them based on the most popular suggestions I've trad here, and for the same reason, they may not work for you.

I've not tried beard lube, and I agree with the comment above, that it defeats the goal of saturating your beard. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have enough to dial in without adding another variable. One day, I'll see if my theory is well founded ;-)

... Thom
So I returned to baseline for two shaves - the RKs which were my first DE blade experience in decades. Yup, they're a bit rough, even as my technique improves on a weekly basis.

I wouldn't call the RKs bad blades, and I'd likely choose them over the Astras and Feathers. I'd need to return to them to be certain, however. My improving technique is the big variable.

One thing is clear to me The Personnas ar distancing themselves from the pack. They're setting a high bar.

I'm debating whether I'll load up a Gillette 7 O'clock next or the Shark.

I'm continuing to keep soap constant (Cella) and alternating between my 25mm Muhle STF and as 22mm AP Shave Co Synbad. I've gotten to know both of these brushes well, and lather consistency isn't a challenge.

... Thom

Last edited:
Well, curiosity got the best of me. Two shaves with the RK and I'm done. Again ... it's by no means terrible, but when you experience better (Personna), you don't go back.

Rather than plugging in an "untried" new blade to experiment with, I returned to take a second lap with a new Astra this evening.

This "proves" my theory about my improving technique (it couldn't get worse). My second attempt with an Astra was quite nice - smooth and sharp.

Strike my comment above, about likely choosing an RK over an Astra and Feather.

I wonder how this will tally out after lap #5 with this blade selection. It makes me want to take a second spin with the Feather before digging in to the 7 O'clock, Shark, and Derby.

... Thom

Sounds like you're tuning in what works best for you, @Galibier_Numero_Un. Enjoy the journey. In my experience the Henson works best with sharper blades. Once I got the hang of the Henson and didn't add additional pressure or over-buff, I can use very sharp blades, ones that I have to be much more careful with in other razors. I think it is because of the very strong clamping and small blade reveal, which makes for a very high rigidity. As you get more comfy with the Henson, keep trying sharper blades, it may reward you with an even better shave.

Another vote for Astra Platinums in your Henson, and a vote against the RK Blades.

I bought my AL13 mild as part of a deal through work, and it came with a pack of 100 RK blades. I've tried the RKs in both the Henson and my Leaf razor, and they're genuinely Not Good. They tug, take a lot of work to get an appreciable result, and just aren't worth the effort. Astras on the other hand are a good all-round blade that work very well in the Henson, and help compensate for how mild a shave the Henson gives.

If anyone adores RK blades and wants to trade my 100 pack for something, let me know.

Welcome! I don't have anything to add...use less pressure and don't slide the razor head sideways. That's one of the great things about this community: The friendly and helpful people! Keep at it and you'll get better. Enjoy!

I was shocked when I read that you like RK better than Astra @Galibier_Numero_Un , because when I tried Astras 2 times now, its like night and day difference for me, I even just for fun tried Astra Platinum when shaving dry, and it was still a lot better than doing RK wet, no kidding haha. But I see that you changed your mind now, understandably hah :)
I don't say RKs are bad, but they are definetely not for me. I am glad I listened to you guys about checking out other razor blades, and I am curious why Henson chose RKs to be included with their razor, as this might be a turn down for lots of people.

I was shocked when I read that you like RK better than Astra @Galibier_Numero_Un , because when I tried Astras 2 times now, its like night and day difference for me, I even just for fun tried Astra Platinum when shaving dry, and it was still a lot better than doing RK wet, no kidding haha. But I see that you changed your mind now, understandably hah :)
I don't say RKs are bad, but they are definetely not for me. I am glad I listened to you guys about checking out other razor blades, and I am curious why Henson chose RKs to be included with their razor, as this might be a turn down for lots of people.
Yup, I knew my improving technique would upset the apple cart. That's the main reason I decided to run one brand laps (more or less), although the Personna was so good, that I couldn't resist running 3 blades in a row.

I just installed a Shark Super Chrome last night. Given the above caveats, I think it's slotting in around the Astra - perhaps a bit smoother.

This is getting dizzying, and I think I may have to change up and run the Personna for a month or so before resuming this survey.

Complicating matters (which I'm generally loathe to do), is the imminent arrival of a Gamechanger. 68-P along with a . 84-P baseplate. The new . 76-P baseplate has already sold out.

... Thom

Top Bottom