What's new

Help with Bible Study

okay, you've gotten several excellent comments in my meantime, so I've not much to add, except:
+1 to Esword, good stuff
+1 to Translation, not Transliteration (for study, anyway, great for general reading, though)
+1 to Life Application Notes

I use Lifeway's resources alot, they have a great online Bible library:
http://bible.lifeway.com/crossmain.asp

KJV, Modern KJV, Holman Christian Standard, and NASB - I use all of these when it comes time to prepare a sermon. I also have a copy of The New Living Translation and NIV I use as well. Vines and Strongs are excellent resources when you're ready to go deeper.

I will list the specific Bibles I frequently use, and of course will recommend them as very useful, at least for me:

* The Apologetics Study Bible (HCSB) My Favorite One!!! is very awesome, my daily reader
* John MacArthur Study Bible (NASB) Again, excellent notes and explanations
* The Archaeological Study Bible (NIV) Excellent for (duh) archeological references
* The New Open Bible (KJV) my King James trans., good notes
* Life Application Study Bible (NLT) very very good notes throughout

there are more ideas, and toooooo many facets to go any further of discussing pros and cons, since even within denominations there are differences of opinions. I hope to see this thread not become a hot-bed of debate, and more of an encouraging of "this speaks to me". Let's keep it that way. There are some ideas in some of these Bibles I don't always agree with fully, but God's Word is God's Word regardless the scholars' ideas.
Here's another resource:
http://www.freebiblecommentary.org/ (I wish to HIGHLY recommend going by the emphases he lays in for Bible study)
This is by Dr. Bob Utley of ETBU. Very sound commentary. He comes at Scripture the same way I do, which has already been suggested here: Read Scripture from the authors original intent and audience. From there you can learn God's values and character and know how it applies to you.

Don't get overwhelmed! :biggrin:
(Don't worry, I still do)

Hello Fellow shave nuts.

I know religion is not every ones favourite subject but I would appreciate any help:001_smile

Can you recommend or suggest any on-line resource or website which would be of use to assist me in reading the Bible. I am reading the King James version and at the moment interested in the Gospels and the New Testament.

It would be good to know more about;
-historical context for the books, their authors and their purpose
-explanations or commentary which will give me help and guidance as I read through a chapter.

At this stage I do not want anything too complex or academic.

Thank you

I would like to offer http://www.e-sword.net/ It has a free bible program that can't be beat for the price. There's a slew of commentaries (I enjoy Clarke's) and maps, historical notes, etc. available for download too. There's also built-in bible reading schedules to help you read the bible within a timeframe of your choosing.

If you're interested in a guided study of the Bible, my congegration participates in a program called World Bible School. It offers a great starting point for those wanting to know more about God's Word.

And last, but not least, I've recently stumbled upon a newer translation that I've found really opens the reading up to me. It's the New Life Translation (Not to be confused with the New Living Translation)

Hope these links give you something to explore, and help you on your journey.

Have to agree with E-Sword, it has quite a few bible translations (free) also some that you pay for. PLus lots of commentaries, and various books on the bible. It even has Josephus writings on the Jews for download. A very good resource.

Gentlemen

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me. I have already had a look at esword and biblegateway already and will be getting to all the other suggestions too.

I have a Bachelors degree in politics and sociology, and love reading books of fiction, biographies, politics and history. I spend Sunday afternoons with the Sunday Telegraph. I even go to see Shakespeare at the theatre for pleasure:lol:

So when I started to read the Bible it soon hit me that it is not like anything else I have ever read, and it is challenging not only my intellect:001_smile.

Thanks

phil

Hi Phil,
Even when looked at from an atheist's point of view the Bible is daunting. One reference book with about every literary writing style and genre you can concieve. The contributors come from various cultures and backgrounds that provide the broadest range of point of view one can imagine. Yet, each one providing a significant and complex piece to the overall mosaic.

But don't let it overwhelm you. There is a consistant narrative - God loves us, wants us to love Him in return and will do everything for us to understand that.

I am certain there is a Heaven. And I am certain that within the population of Heaven there are plenty of people that ranked above me and those below me in intellect. As a former seminary student, I have known people who had intellectualized the Faith right out of Christianity and I have known clinically retarded people who fully portrayed the love of God. Faith and Love are curiously independant of intellect.

I think it has less to do with what you read and much more with how you read it. Just keep reading.

**This is the last time I will post in this thread. It really will serve no purpose in trying to argue with me. If you dissagree, just let it go and move on. We can still be friends.

2 excellent references ar Strong's Concordance and Willmington's Guide to the Bible. Both are KJV based and are sitting just a few feet from me right now.

I use two Bibles the most, the first is The New Oxford Annotated Bible New Revised Standard Version and the second is The Message,which was written by a former pastor who utilized original greek passages and translated into today's language. Infact, I love The Message just for the reason it is easy to understand and discuss with youth.

I use Biblegateway alot also.

The Message Bible Psalm 23
1. God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
2. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from.
3. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.
4. Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure

Gentlemen

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me. I have already had a look at esword and biblegateway already and will be getting to all the other suggestions too.

I have a Bachelors degree in politics and sociology, and love reading books of fiction, biographies, politics and history. I spend Sunday afternoons with the Sunday Telegraph. I even go to see Shakespeare at the theatre for pleasure:lol:

So when I started to read the Bible it soon hit me that it is not like anything else I have ever read, and it is challenging not only my intellect:001_smile.

Thanks

phil

on that note, then I would also highly suggest some books written by Lee Strobel, there are several, The Case for Christ, The Case for Faith, The Case for the Real Jesus, & several others. They may also prove useful in your search for information.

I would look in to the Sacra Pagina series of books, very helpful and informative. Some parts are very academic but still easy to read.

Gents, thank you again for your kind help and advice.

I just wanted to let you know that a friend whom I confided in ( I know him to be Christian) that I was trying to know more about this called round and presented me with a copy of Believer's Bible Commentary which he told me had helped him greatly.

I am only sorry I did not do this a long time ago.:001_smile

Phil

Hello Fellow shave nuts.

I know religion is not every ones favourite subject but I would appreciate any help:001_smile

Can you recommend or suggest any on-line resource or website which would be of use to assist me in reading the Bible. I am reading the King James version and at the moment interested in the Gospels and the New Testament.

It would be good to know more about;
-historical context for the books, their authors and their purpose
-explanations or commentary which will give me help and guidance as I read through a chapter.

At this stage I do not want anything too complex or academic.

Thank you

www.FollowtheRabbi.com
is fantastic for context. I would recommend starting there.

http://www.monergism.com/
is an amazing site though maybe more academic that you are looking for.

http://www.studylight.org/
has a bit more than biblegateway.com but isn't as clean.

http://www.biblestudytools.net/
has a few things you may find helpful.

Feel free to email me with any questions.
Theology, Hebrew, and the first century are my passions.

Top Bottom