What's new

Help selecting a new soap for DE razor

Hello everyone! I've been a big fan of this site ever since I joined and still continue to enjoy shaving to this day. However, I'm running into a problem: I don't know what my next soap should be!

I've been using Derby blades on my Merkur 33C along with Col. Conk's Amber Shaving Soap. Forgetting my girlfriend broke my mug so I almost cut myself when loading my brush :mad: (Lucky I was almost out at the time), I need to figure out what my next soap and mug will be. I've had good luck with Col. Conk's, and I do like the amber scent, but I'm looking to move onto something different. A different brand preferably so I can explore different types of soap. If I remember correctly Col. Conk's is a glycerin based soap and I've been reading a lot about different types and I'm not sure which way to go. I read the threads on here but most seem geared towards straight razors and I'm looking for something good for what I've been using.

Any advice? Should I buy a soap that comes in a mug/bowl all ready or just buy another individual soap?

And I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what MWF is. Everyone keeps using this acronym and I don't know what it is!

Thanks a ton in advance!

Conk makes good soap. I like their almond the best so far. Seems to be very nicely moisturizing.

If you are digging the glycerin soaps, check out Mama Bear soap. There are a million different scents, the price is right, and you'd be supporting a small business, too. I have their rosemary mint soap and find it to be quite nice.

MWF stands for mitchell's wool fat, which is a different type of soap than what you are accustomed to. Has many good reviews, though I've never tried it.

Good luck deciding!

Conk makes good soap. I like their almond the best so far. Seems to be very nicely moisturizing.

If you are digging the glycerin soaps, check out Mama Bear soap. There are a million different scents, the price is right, and you'd be supporting a small business, too. I have their rosemary mint soap and find it to be quite nice.

MWF stands for mitchell's wool fat, which is a different type of soap than what you are accustomed to. Has many good reviews, though I've never tried it.

Good luck deciding!

+1, if you like the Conk, you'll like the Mama Bear. If you want to try out tallow, go with MWF or Tabac.

I'll put in a plug for Honeybee Spa Soaps. The soapmaker, Sue (one of our three soapmaker Sues) is a member here.

http://www.honeybeesoaps.net/

The best deal is her sampler of six soaps of your chosing.

Her scents are milder than Mama Bear's soaps, but the lather is excellent. Very slick and moisturizing.

Can't go wrong.

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess I'm a little hazy, how does tallow differ from glycerin soaps? What is the main difference?

+1 for the two Sues at Honeybee Spa and Mama Bear's. Krissy at Prairie Creations is good people too, and her soaps are highly recommended...

Like you, I started w/ Col. Conk and did pretty well w/ it. I've had the pleasure of trying some of the products mentioned already above by others and really like them. One I don't see mentioned yet is from the last soap purchase I made and I can highly recommend.
http://www.saintcharlesshave.com/

Current orders include a free sample of "Bleached Wood" shaving soap which is now going to have to be on my list. Good stuff.

Hi,

You may certainly want to consider Mama Bear soaps.
Something like Ye Olde Barbershoppe will be a very good choice, it is a great soap. Come sin a nice modern plastic bowl, you can buy a wooden Mama Bear bowl if you want to.

Also Trumpers soap in a bowl is highly recommended.
I would suggest Limes, but there are other scents available.
The wooden bowl is nice.

+1 on the Mama Bear's stuff. Also, if you have a Crabtree and Evelyn near you, their Sienna soap has a great scent and lathers very well. And yup, I;m a fan of the Colonel's Almond soap too.

Thanks for all the info! I placed an order for Mama Bear's soap just yesterday, I hope to be impressed!

Now on the issue with the broken mug, what is the best vessel you find to store your soap in? I see pewter mugs are like $50! Is there something I should be looking for?

If you want bang for your buck I recommend Pre de Provence. It's a triple milled soap with a kind of fresh laundry smell. It doesn't contain tallow, but IMHO it gives a good shave. It will also last a long a time.

Gentlemen,

The three soaps mentioned in these posts, for what it's worth, also receive my highest endorsement. The soaps are, in not any particular order: Mama Bear unscented, Mitchell's Wool Fat and Pre de Province. I rotate all three and cannot say enough good things about them.

Regards,
Obelit

Top Bottom