What's new

Hats are Coming Back!

Here is some pics I took while out hiking this afternoon.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And here is one taken a couple of years ago at Pinhook Bog.

proxy.php

I've worn a hat every day for 20+ years--fedoras, trilbys, cowboys, panamas, etc. I have hat racks on the walls of my living room that hold 56 hats. My deal with my wife is that when I buy a new hat, one of the 56 has to go. I've given away more hats than I own. Like shoes, hats are worth spending money for quality. Borsalino, Rand and Mayser are my favorite brands. It helps that the best hat store I've found in this large country is next to my downtown bus stop.

I have a brown fedora, which I wear with my brown overcoat in the winter. Still looking for something that might work other parts of the year.

strop

Now half as wise
I have a brown fedora, which I wear with my brown overcoat in the winter. Still looking for something that might work other parts of the year.

I break out the straw/Panama as soon as the weather starts to warm up, at least for daytime wear. I have some darker, unbleached ones for spring and fall, and save the white bleached ones for the hotter days of summer.

Last edited:
I have hats from both of them, and they are both excellent. Hanna Hats is probably #1 for me, but Gerry Moran is not far behind.

I prefer Hanna Hats, because their hats seem to fit my head shape better.

I've got a hatman skipper in tweed and as of 5 minutes ago, got a hanna hats flat cap coming in. Seems like there are a lot of small run limited editions from hanna.

I was four when Kennedy was assasinated. But I acquired the family curse of baldness. It didn't skip a generation. Several years ago I was approached by a senior friend who had just returned from one of many session with a doctor who had been cutting melanoma from his scalp. It was one of those "Don't let this happen to you" talks. So I've been in the habit of wearing a hat ever since. Now I'm a bit too old for ballcaps, so I wear a Panama fedora in the Summer and a gray felt Porkpie in the Winter.

I can't pull off hats of any kind. Ball cap, fedora, flat, etc. Only thing that gets close is a toque in the winter.

I have a cap in my golf bag in case it's super sunny out and rarely use it. I should wear a hat for mowing the lawn when it's very sunny, but again just hate wearing them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I can't pull off hats of any kind.

Sounds like you are very good at pulling the hats off ... it's putting them on in the first place where you have difficulty.

:001_rolle

Sorry.

... anyhow, all kidding aside, what sort of problem is it that leads you to that conclusion? Maybe in among all the vast pool of B&B knowledge there is someone who can offer some advice about how to make hats work for you (even if it's just something to wear for yardwork to keep you from getting skin cancer of the head.)

+1 to goorin. They have a hat for everybody. The one near me will fit and shape each one for you and has complimentary booze. Shhhhhhhhh. To me the awful headwear trend is a bent or even straight brim baseball hat. Especially with the damn sticker still on it. Boys and ballplayers wear caps while men wear hats. But a hat doesnt look good on me or im to young to rock a hat... Lies people tell themselves. Wide brim, short brim, trilby, a crown tear drop crown , round and thats just fedoras. Forget about ivys or gatsbys or mixes in between. Find the right shape and cut for yourself and make it happen. Good hats are not a trend they are a must for the well dressed gentleman. Goorin. Google it. Find one, go there and get fit and styled. Just my 0.02.

Top Bottom