What's new

Hats are Coming Back!

I'm really glad to see the resurgence of hats, as I've always like the way they look. I see family pictures of my dashing hat-wearing forebears, and I'm always a little disappointed that hats aren't a part of my regular wardrobe. I wear them occasionally (I have a hemp Tilley that is great for travel/golf/etc.), but never in a more formal setting. And, having a pretty big noggin, my options have been limited (nothing on the rack ever fits).

However, I was in Vienna over the holidays and I stepped into a store with a nice selection of traditional Austrian headwear. I found one that I absolutely loved, feather and all. I bought it and wore it happily for the duration of my trip.

Is there any room for something like this in a American's wardrobe, irony-free? Can I sport this in cold weather in the States without looking like I'm about to break into "Edelweiss", or should I limit it to future alpine excursions only?

Oh, and thanks to those of you that have shared hat resources / links in this thread, I'm already going through them looking for "the one".

$20141226_110227.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Is there any room for something like this in a American's wardrobe, irony-free?
View attachment 537215

Yes, but.

Make sure it's the only "Austrian-ish" thing you are wearing. And make sure you are comfortable wearing it (in the "not feeling silly" rather than "ouch, this doesn't fit" sense), because too much self-consciousness will ruin the show.

There are certain pieces of clothing, hats being one, that have an "I feel silly" inducing effect for those beginning to wear them. I guess it's flashback to elementary school recess when anyone "different" got picked on ... we know we are being "different" and we are all waiting for the inevitable mockery.

proxy.php

When it doesn't come, we start to gain confidence with our new kit, and realize that the adult world is far more accepting of stylish uniqueness than elementary school. Yes, we are indeed smarter than a Fifth Grader.

I'm really glad to see the resurgence of hats, as I've always like the way they look. I see family pictures of my dashing hat-wearing forebears, and I'm always a little disappointed that hats aren't a part of my regular wardrobe. I wear them occasionally (I have a hemp Tilley that is great for travel/golf/etc.), but never in a more formal setting. And, having a pretty big noggin, my options have been limited (nothing on the rack ever fits).

However, I was in Vienna over the holidays and I stepped into a store with a nice selection of traditional Austrian headwear. I found one that I absolutely loved, feather and all. I bought it and wore it happily for the duration of my trip.

Is there any room for something like this in a American's wardrobe, irony-free? Can I sport this in cold weather in the States without looking like I'm about to break into "Edelweiss", or should I limit it to future alpine excursions only?

Oh, and thanks to those of you that have shared hat resources / links in this thread, I'm already going through them looking for "the one".

View attachment 537215

Looks cool.

Just don't slide down the slippery slope of lederhosen and you will be fine.

View attachment 537215

Nice hat. Why wouldn't it work here at home?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420814228.182248.jpgPicked this hat up yesterday. I was looking for a Homburg, but couldn't find one that fit quite right. Generally, once a hat goes on my head the first time, I know immediately if it's a keeper.

I wear a fedora 9 days out of 10, but I live most of my time in Belize. The weather requires it. I wear Brent Black hats https://www.brentblack.com/ exclusively. I have a Havana and a Hemingway. The only time that I don't have on one of these is when I have on my Dodgers ball cap when I am on my boat. Even my wife wears a BB hat.

They are practical and work for both casual and business.

I wish hats were more acceptable in high school... The only nicer hat that people don't scoff at here is a flat cap... I've never tried one, but I don't want to spend a lot if money for something I don't use... I have an Aussie style hat that was given to me by a friend (it got wet and shrunk to where it wouldn't fit him) and I use it when doing yard work and such to keep the sun off of me, but would kinda like something a bit nicer... Any ideas?

Sadly, I think that hats will never come back. This is much like DE shaving to me. There is an element of gents who will DE shave and also an element who will wear a hat. As noted above, hat wearing really started fading in the early to mid 1960's and those who wear one nowadays are such a "sore thumb" and curiosity that I don't ever see hat wearing as going mainstream or anywhere close.

I seem to recall a resurgence of hats in the late 80's/ early 90's. Maybe it was only a regional thing, but I had a fedora back then and so did many others. My memory is kind of Brian Williams on the vastness of their popularity and how long it lasted though. As they say "history repeats itself". They are pretty well extinct in my region and I think it's a shame. I'm actually a fan of hats, but I'm in no way a trend setter or looking to make a statement either. Glad to see them making their way back, even if it is only in certain parts of the globe for now.

Hat wearing is a very regional thing, I wear western (cowboy) hats and have for most of my life. If you live in Texas, you take it off any time you pass indoors. I lived in Oklahoma for many years and there, you never took you hat off. I have even gotten in the shower with my hat on without knowing it. The most important thing is to wear your hat when it is appropriate and take it off when appropriate . Otherwise, put it on and do not touch it. In time , it will become part of you. I am old and long in the tooth, I was thought to never step out the door without a hat on.
Tom

Last edited:
Since the beginning of high school I've always worn ball caps that fit tight against my head, I've never been a fan of the tall caps. I'm never going to understand the current flat brim caps... my wife is a middle school teacher and one of her students told her what hat edict was for "cool" caps now "your cap has to have a flat brim and it has to be a fitted cap without any type of clasp in the back, you also have to leave the company sticker on the cap because it has a higher value that way" hah whatever that means?

Anyway back on the hat topic. My father has worn cowboy hats daily since the late 80's. I decided to buy my first real hat this winter and found the Kangol Origin Bowler Hat was exactly the style I was looking for.

I really love my Bowler! My wife is still not to sure about it though hah.

I have no problem wearing my hat out and I'm definitely not a "hipster". If some hipsters happen to like wearing classic hats or have mustaches so be it but if someone tossed me into a group I had almost nothing in common with just because of my hat I'd know they have no idea what they're talking about.

$Mo 12-13-14 Week 6.jpg
Mid December photo.

Any good websites where I can buy high quality driver/paperboy hats? Solid black or dark gray. Nothing fancy....

Last edited:
Top Bottom