What's new

Hats are Coming Back!

I feel like the increase in hat wearing is just part of the hipster movement. Once that dies out, hat wearing will once again decline. I would wear one, but I am 23 and would look silly in a fedora (or something of the sort).
I agree...most guys in hats look like hipster douches trying too hard.
present company excepted, of course!

I tend to like the fact that I'm seeing more old fashion hats around these days

Particularly the flat cap!

Last edited:
I live in the desert southwest and wasn't aware that hats ever went out of style. I like a pinch front with at least a 4 inch brim and a hurricane string.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I agree...most guys in hats look like hipster douches trying too hard.
present company excepted, of course!

I can't agree with "hat = hipster".

Hipsters tend to wear ... pants. Does that make pants-wearing turn one into a hipster? Of course not. Ditto shirts. Ditto underwear, socks and shoes. Ditto hats.

"Hipster" is a certain fashion sense, style ethos, way of life, whatever. Clothes are "ingredients" for style, just like basic foods are ingredients for cooking and baking. Just because you put flour in the recipe, that doesn't mean you will end up with pancakes ... depending on how you bake with it you may well end up with a hamburger bun instead.

I live in the desert southwest and wasn't aware that hats ever went out of style. I like a pinch front with at least a 4 inch brim and a hurricane string.

I am in E.Texas and tend to choose about a 3"brim. I like your choice of the"hurricane string" . They are especially nice to have after having learned the hard way, chasing my hat across a busy parking lot.

I am in E.Texas and tend to choose about a 3"brim. I like your choice of the"hurricane string" . They are especially nice to have after having learned the hard way, chasing my hat across a busy parking lot.

I like the broader brim for protection from the sun.

With the exception of the period when my career trapped me in Silicon valley, I don't believe that I've ever lived in an area where a "hurricane string" wasn't a necessity on anything bigger than a baseball cap. First on the Oregon coast, then New Mexico, and finally Nevada.

You've heard of Mark Twain's famous description of the winds around Virginia City, the "Washoe Zephyr" -- that it was so strong that it blew rocks rather than sand? He wasn't kidding. I had the wind rip my hat right off my head, tear the strap loose from the hat on one side, and leave a great big red stripe around my neck where the strap burned my hide as it was yanked loose. Then I got to chase the hat.

I like the broader brim for protection from the sun.

With the exception of the period when my career trapped me in Silicon valley, I don't believe that I've ever lived in an area where a "hurricane string" wasn't a necessity on anything bigger than a baseball cap. First on the Oregon coast, then New Mexico, and finally Nevada.

You've heard of Mark Twain's famous description of the winds around Virginia City, the "Washoe Zephyr" -- that it was so strong that it blew rocks rather than sand? He wasn't kidding. I had the wind rip my hat right off my head, tear the strap loose from the hat on one side, and leave a great big red stripe around my neck where the strap burned my hide as it was yanked loose. Then I got to chase the hat.

Fun isn't it!! I have a couple of Stetson western hats with 4"brims that see some wear, along with an Akruba Territory, but they are all felt and too hot for summers here, upper 90 to low 100 temps. My straws are some older westerns and several quality Panama types, I just picked up a finer weave Panama gambler style with a 3"brim which is my largest. With the brim turned down front and back it gives me plenty of sun protection Due to an eye problem, all of my hats, westerns included have the front of the brim snapped down to shade the eyes from bright skies.

I'm with you on the sun protection. Here in the south and I am sure more so in the southwest, it is important. One of the most common areas for skin cancer in men is the top of the ears. A cap is useless for protecting that area and the back of the neck. At 69 years I am not bald, but very thin on top and do not like to get sunburned on top of my head either.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm not much of a hat guy, but I do have a few very functional hats.

When working around equipment a hardhat is mandatory.

In the sun it's a wide brimmed Tilley.

When driving (professionally) I have a couple of driving/winter hats which keep my messy hair in check.

In extreme cold I wear a Granite Gear hat (discontinued) or a fur lined leather bomber.

I'm with you on the sun protection. Here in the south and I am sure more so in the southwest, it is important. One of the most common areas for skin cancer in men is the top of the ears. A cap is useless for protecting that area and the back of the neck. At 69 years I am not bald, but very thin on top and do not like to get sunburned on top of my head either.

I had this conversation once with a construction worker who was wearing a hat rather than a cap. He said that the company owner mandated hats with a sizable brim, and that nobody argued about it, because the owner was missing both ears -- cancer.

I'm in the process of moving to a semi tropical area of Australia and as I'm folically challenged, I'll be wearing a straw Fedora quite a bit.

I'm more a cap guy than a hat person. Besides, caps work much better for me in the windy weather we often get here.

If you can keep a ball cap on, you haven't got wind, you've either got a breeze, or you keep your back to it. Even my fishing caps have hurricane straps (along with a curtain that covers my neck and ears).

If you can keep a ball cap on, you haven't got wind, you've either got a breeze, or you keep your back to it. Even my fishing caps have hurricane straps (along with a curtain that covers my neck and ears).
I was talking about "European" flat caps. They stay much better on than typical hats, or than baseball caps (which I don't like anyway).

I love a hat! Being Australian, I go for Akubra, and I have a Cattleman which goes everywhere with me, especially in summer. I recently threw out some old and battered hats; I probably need to buy a few more.

I think there's no finer article of wear for a bloke than a decent hat.

... I think there's no finer article of wear for a bloke than a decent hat.
There is a hidden benefit to wearing a real hat (not a baseball or other cap) that hasn't been mentioned: there is no surer way to make a good first impression on an attractive woman than smiling and tipping your hat. :thumbup:

Some women dig hats, some don't. If you have intentions its good to get that out of the way. I always wear a hat and have done so for years. Wife just accepts it about me. This winter I have started wearing a fur Ushanka and my wife didn't bat an eye.
Love that woman.
Johnny

Top Bottom