What's new

Handwriting samples, pics! Let us see yours.

Sometime and nice exercise is to rest the hand on the fingernails rather than the meat of the fingers and try to move the arm and wrist as one with the hand. If you just try to use the hand then it will amplify and unsteadiness. Try some connected uppercase Os, it is always a nice exercise.

It's just as bad on lined paper... trust me. :)

The problem with speed is that if I slow down, my naturally shaky hands make it even worse.

$2013-01-07 23.30.11.jpg

Im about to mess this letter up by trying to put another one beside it, I wanted a record of that thing i once did that kind of looked pretty neat before i did that

hey i didnt totally mess it up,... says "BAD" btw

$2013-01-08 00.10.26.jpg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I gave a sample of my own writing much earlier in this thread, and nothing has changed there. Reading some of the comments from people who are embarrassed by their handwriting, I wonder if they have unrealistic expectations. There used to be much better instruction in longhand in the schools, certainly, and it was taken for granted that people would be able to read and write it easily. It's not as if everyone wrote in beautiful Spencerian script or copperplate, though. Once out of school, people developed their own individual styles, and half of the skill was in learning to deal with that. Here's a link, just something I found on Wikipedia, of a letter from 1894 which is no better than many of the pictures posted here. Also, from my youth, I remember dealing with the writing of my elders, most of whom had presumably had been trained by the Palmer method or something similar. There was a pretty wide variation, and it wasn't always pretty.

Perhaps because cursive is becoming less common, people look at the models in exercise books, realize they aren't up to that standard, and forget that the real world generally doesn't conform to an ideal. That's not to say that most of us don't have room for improvement, but slowing down and thinking about what you're doing can work wonders. Practice in reading other people's writing may be just as important; we don't have to insist that everything be perfect.

Admittedly, some people really do have amazingly bad writing. A fellow at work has printing which reminds me of Sumerian cuneiform. After working with him for a dozen years, I can just about decipher it most of the time, but I'd still rather he sent me an Email.:lol:
My handwriting hero is Thomas Jefferson, so of course I am disappointed with mine.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Calling Owen!!! Paging Owen!!!

Tom
Tom, you remembered my story. I will share it. One of my first great ink loves was Black Swan in Australian Roses. Absolutely a lovely ink, especially out of an italic nib- really shows the shading. Well, a co-worker, a member of the super-secret ink police, sent out an email stating that the only ink colors we could use at work were black and blue. I guess he couldn't appreciate the nuances. So, I ordered some Baystate Blue. He shut his pie hole, because I think he feared what I would come up with next :biggrin:

Tom, you remembered my story. I will share it. One of my first great ink loves was Black Swan in Australian Roses. Absolutely a lovely ink, especially out of an italic nib- really shows the shading. Well, a co-worker, a member of the super-secret ink police, sent out an email stating that the only ink colors we could use at work were black and blue. I guess he couldn't appreciate the nuances. So, I ordered some Baystate Blue. He shut his pie hole, because I think he feared what I would come up with next :biggrin:

Wasn't this guy was it?

$office-space-boss.jpg

This never gets old, the great BSIAR-BSB wars!

I think I'm going to get a journal to practice my regular handwriting so it doesn't get left behind on me

But at least its headed in the right direction

$20130111_234648.jpg

Top Bottom