What's new

Hand Powered Reel Mowers - good bad, what are your thoughts

Where's the fun in that...no gas fumes in your face, no manly feeling of pulling the cord with all your might to start the engine, no roar of the engine, no rocks kicked back into your shins...

Funny occurrence, I read this thread yesterday and then while working on the yard last night a guy down the street comes home and pulls one of these out of his car. His wife is standing there and she starts trying it out. Neither looked to thrilled with the performance and the guy went inside while the wife kept going at it. Honestly their grass looked a little talk to be using one of these on it. I bet the wife was thrilled.

I always get a crack up when people try to mow 10" grass with one of these and complain its a ***. Even the powered ones (Tru Cut, McLane and Trimmer) are a pain in the tall stuff.

I'm willing to bet he went to Lowe's and got that horrid Task Force mower. I'm sorry the blades look like sheet metal and the floor demo in the store I went to they where bent.

I'm just waiting for the grass catcher for mine to come out in the spring. Less sidewalk sweeping

fair dinkum! i wouldnt even think about a push reel mower, ive got no idea what sort of grass i have, but theres an above average sized chunk of it, with plenty of weeds and crap in it too, i have a victa steel deck tornado classic with a briggs and stratton motor, and i reckon its bloody gutless. Of course if i didnt have all the weeds and waited till the grass and all is 8" high before i get out there it might be a different story

Too bad you're not closer, I have a very heavy-duty antique one you could have. The new ones I've seen are flimsy junk.

Reel mowers work okay on small, flat lawns as long as you keep up with them. If you let the grass get too long, they'll bend it over instead of cutting it.

Sharpening them is expensive.

I agree that most of the ones commonly available are pretty flimsy.

Sharpening them isn't overly expensive - I think I paid about $40 three or four years ago for a complete tune up and sharpening on a mower that had sat for a while.

Also, you can buy lapping kits for very reasonable prices that allow you to maintain your own blades.

The truth is that, assuming you don't abuse the mower (run over rocks, large sticks, etc.) or let it rust (brush off damp grass and let it dry and give it a shot of WD-40 every now and again), the blades don't need to be sharpened that often.

I have a pretty small lawn and wouldn't consider using anything other than my reel mower.

I have a Fiskars mower that you are looking at and it works great for me but I have a typical Pacific Northwest lawn, basically a mix.

As for yours there is a brand perhaps a bit more suited for you The Mascot 6 bladed mower is more suited and it has the same silent cut system as a Fiskars and Brill Mowers. It does cost a bit more but I couldn't afford it.

This guy has a pretty nice review
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5X8j1vRJk[/YOUTUBE]

While I don't have this exact mower, I have the same version (down to the red paint and adjustment stickers beside the wheels) that was made by YardMan - the mower I have is about 25-years old and definitely saw good use - I should know, as its the same mower I used to mow my parents lawn and inherited when they downsized!

Its a great mower - so long as you don't let the grass get too long between cuttings, it will chew through just about anything on a residential lawn.

Anybody concerned with the environment is more than welcome to come down here and cut my grass with their little reel mower. Gasoline power all the way for me. I'm too old and got too much yard to cut. I know I'm glad to see fall get here and won't have to cut for a few months.

I have 10 acres of California forest land, so I actually cut my grass with a WeedEater. Too easy to start a fire around here. But you would never be able to tell by looking at it, I've been doing it so long it comes out just as nice as any mower.

I have 10 acres of California forest land, so I actually cut my grass with a WeedEater. Too easy to start a fire around here. But you would never be able to tell by looking at it, I've been doing it so long it comes out just as nice as any mower.

That's amazing - I couldn't imagine cutting mine with a weed eater.

Top Bottom