What's new

Hamburger; how to get that distinctive flame broiled taste?

RE: Eggs

It's one egg and it's a bonding agent. It doesn't turn your burger into meatloaf... All it is doing is holding all of the ingredients together. Try it before ya knock it, gents (though you probably already have if you've ever ordered a burger at a restaurant). You won't even know it was ever there when they come off the grill, aside from your burger not falling to shambles. "Restaurant quality" burger recipes were requested, and you'll find many restaurant quality burger recipes to have egg in them.

I get it, and I'm sure you make a nice burger. Maybe my comment, which I made in jest, was a bit off putting... I apologize if I offended anyone.

For me, I dont want all the ingredients in my burger, so I don't need a bonding agent. A good burger can stand alone for the most part and whenever I want cheese, or peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc; I'll put them on top the burger as part of the sandwich, rather than part of the patty.

I prefer to form the patties by handling them as little as I can. I salt them and let them rest for as long as possible - exactly the same as I treat my steaks. If there's any salt left when I'm ready to cook, i'll brush it off. At that point, I grind up some black pepper and dust each side giving a little pat to press it in. An aside - if you have a mortar and pestle and you like pepper, get yourself some nice peppercorns to grind up. Trust me.

I place the hardwood charcoal off to one side, enough that I have a place to pull the burgers out of the direct heat. When the coals are ready and the fire is nice and hot, the patties go on to get seared. When the first side is seared, flip and repeat. Watch the time though because it'll happen quicker on the side two. Once side 2 is seared appropriately, off the heat to the side. I Use a quick read thermometer to get get the burgers where I want them to be. Once they're done, pull em off and let them rest.

While the burgers are off the heat, sometimes I like to grill up some chilis to put on top with a blanket of good cheddar.

A super easy side coudl be achieved by tossing some fresh asparagus with evoo, salt and pepper and roll them onto the heat for a couple minutes. I assume you've already got some diced potatoes roasting in the oven with your preferred seasoning - I like reds with rosemary and garlic. Or sweet potato with jerk seasoning.

Don't underestimate the importance of good bread. I like to toast the buns on the grill so they can hold up a little better to the juicy burgers.

Now you've got a pretty fail safe meal and it's super easy.

Really, I use this same method for steaks as well and it never disappoints

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If it is too lean you will have a dry patty. I tried a burger a few weeks ago and the patty was made by a butcher who added some chicken fat.
If I did not know before hand I would not have guessed it. The result was a nice moist burger.
fat = flavour + moisture.

Now someone needs to say it.............add some bacon fat for the win.

It would take a lot more than hamburger recipes to get me worked up. No apologies necessary Bshow! Was just clarifying the purpose of the egg. Cheers!

I like to keep it simple. I like to grind my own beef since I never know what's in the packages. I add a little salt and pepper and a panade of a little bread and milk. Gently form the patties and let them rest.

I pile one side of the grill with charcoal and sear the patties for a couple minutes on each side, move them to the "cool" side of the grill to almost finish and then another 1 minute sear per side before taking them off.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The best beef flavor hamburgers come from being cooked on a griddle or pan, rather than a grill. The idea here is to have as much contact with the cooking surface to caramelize as much as the meat as possible when cooking. That's why you will see some chefs press the meat patty down flatter once it's on the grill. I've tried a lot of things and I have to agree with a custom grind or grinding it yourself. One of the best I ever tasted had ground pork belly added to the ground beef mixture because remember.... fat = flavor!

I nice compromise would be a griddle or cast iron pan on the grill. I think hamburger really benefits from the smoke. With all the talk about grinding your own, I am going to have to look into buying a grinder.

Avoid lean meats. Fat is where its at. Grilling is fun, but my best burgers are done with a cast iron griddle and my oven. Its also important to make the patties, and let them refrigerate in patty shape for at least an hour.

Heat up a cast iron griddle until it starts to smoke, and sear the burgers for 2 min on each side. Open the windows because it gets smoky! Transfer them to a baking sheet or another oven proof pan and put them in a 350-400 degree oven until they hit your desired internal temperature. Use a good instant read so you aren't poking a bunch of holes in the burgers.

I see posts referring to caramelizing the meat. Anybody sprinkle just a little sugar on the meat? My LOTH swears by that...it does caramelize!

Last edited:
I'm sure that works, but caramelization isn't QUITE the correct word for what happens when you cook a burger. What you are experiencing is a Miallard Reaction. They are both browning reactions that happen due to heat. Millard Reactions happen at high temperatures when an amino acid combines with a sugar. There are sugars present in meat...not table sugar type sugar...but more of a basic glucose type sugar.

In your case, sprinkling sugar also adds a caramelization reaction, which I'm sure adds a lot of flavor as well. Though you do not need to add any sugar for the normal Miallard Reaction to happen.

I'm sure that works, but caramelization isn't QUITE the correct word for what happens when you cook a burger. What you are experiencing is a Miallard Reaction. They are both browning reactions that happen due to heat. Millard Reactions happen at high temperatures when an amino acid combines with a sugar. There are sugars present in meat...not table sugar type sugar...but more of a basic glucose type sugar.

Thank you - I love food science :thumbup1:

Great info here, gents. Thanks. Once I simplified my burger recipe, it has become a neighbourhood favourite. Half beef and half pork. Add a 1/4 cup of worshesterchire sauce and make patties without packing the meat too firm. High heat on my Big Green Egg (cast iron grid). Sear both sides and finish cooking on lower heat. Salt the patties with sea salt before searing. Fresh ground pepper on the patties while they're resting. I find that pepper develops a bitter taste when exposed to very high heat.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I crave different burgers at different times. Some are spicy and beaten into a dense mass like donair/gyro, some meatloafy, some simply ground and loosely packed. There are also buns, sauces, toppings. All are fair game.

Keep the ideas flowing. I'm loving them all.

I see posts referring to caramelizing the meat. Anybody sprinkle just a little sugar on the meat? My LOTH swears by that...it does caramelize!

A tiny splash of soy sauce will do that too, as well as increasing Umami.

Last edited:
Avoid lean meats. Fat is where its at. Grilling is fun, but my best burgers are done with a cast iron griddle and my oven. Its also important to make the patties, and let them refrigerate in patty shape for at least an hour.

+1 ... we mix ours, form them into patties and then I put them in the freezer for a little bit

No matter what type of ground beef I try, whatever fat content, I always end up with a patty that tastes home made.

Can anyone clue me in on the "restaurant version" of a burger on the grill?

I put olive oil on mine to protect it from burning, and it gives me a flavorful taste.

Fast food burgers generally are so thin that they could burn on contact on a home made grill. I think we have gotten used to stuff that tastes a certain way, and it might not be the best if we took the time to compare it with something of better quality.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
One of of the best burgers I've eaten at home. The ground meat was from my brothers ranch. He raises Wagyu. One pound of beef with only salt and pepper. I mixed in bacon grease...oh yeah. I quartered then rolled each into a big ball. I placed each ball on top of a screaming hot cast iron griddle. I let the balls sit for about a minute sizzling. I then squashed each ball down into a patty. Flipped after they were browned.

Carmalized onions, jalapeno's, Lottie's hot sauce mustard, homemade avocado tamatillos salsa and curly fries.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
One of of the best burgers I've eaten at home. The ground meat was from my brothers ranch. He raises Wagyu. One pound of beef with only salt and pepper. I mixed in bacon grease...oh yeah. I quartered then rolled each into a big ball. I placed each ball on top of a screaming hot cast iron griddle. I let the balls sit for about a minute sizzling. I then squashed each ball down into a patty. Flipped after they were browned.

Carmalized onions, jalapeno's, Lottie's hot sauce mustard, homemade avocado tamatillos salsa and curly fries.

View attachment 570044
Stop it! You're driving me crazy!
:drool:

Top Bottom