What's new

Got my two new synthetic Yaqi brushes today

Which one looks better?

• The black one

• The red one

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not me.

I’m giving my white 22mm away cause I don’t like it.
The handle is too small for me and I guess the hair is too short.

I’m keeping the black 22mm though. For some reason that handle feels better. The hair is longer too

Has anyone used the 28mm white synthetic with the watermelon handle? It looks like the cashmere from apshaveco just bigger.
Smurf
upload_2017-10-14_23-9-25.png

You need to buy one, and tell us about it in a new thread. :thumbsup:

upload_2017-10-14_23-11-10.png
:letterk1: :laugh:

So Cal, did you use it a couple of times now?
What's your opinion of it now?
Hi Iwan, I've now used the red one for 10 consecutive shaves. And I'm getting to like it better with each shave. (I face lather BTW.)

It's a bit of a "lather hog" but that's suiting me because it's giving me the thin lather layers that I love for each pass when I paint it on. Any time I feel like having a little additional lather thickness I simply squeeze some out. These days I always finish my shave with a coating of lovely lather on my face, which I wash off after I've cleared up. Unlike when I'm shaving, I load this final coat on Santa Claus fashion... and there's plenty of lather still hiding inside to do just that.

So, all in all I'm exceptionally pleased. :biggrin1:
upload_2017-10-17_16-26-38.png

I think Yaqi give the actual (just above the glue) knot measurement (24/60), whereas the installed knot measurement at the top of the handle (in mine) is 26/56. The slightly bigger diameter and smaller loft suits me.

MOVING ON...
I know you didn't like your white 22/45 brush, but I must say I'm really looking forward to receiving mine which is due any day now.

Nice. How's the glue bump on this one?
I'd never considered (or felt for) glue bumps. But I've just checked it, and the red brush too.

Both brushes have ≈9mm glue bumps at the center. I assume this is an intentional design element and helps backbone. Obviously there's a big difference between the brushes. At the center of the knot the free hair length (on my brushes) is 47mm on the red one and 37mm on the white one.

Being a "glue bump novice" I'd like to hear your thoughts on the above Iwan, please. :001_smile

My white R1729S2-22 landed this morning. I feel that I'm really going to like this one too, unlike you Iwan.

I've read that Maggards knots are made by Yaqi. I have no idea if that's correct or not, but they sure look alike. And that white box matches what I've received Maggards knots in.
If that's the case, then I have an old Century brush that I re-knotted with the black fiber knot from Maggard and it looks an awful lot like the one in your white-handled brush. It has become my favorite brush, and I use it nearly every shave.

I found a pic that has my brush so you can see the knot in it:
IMG_20171003_155508.jpg

Being a "glue bump novice" I'd like to hear your thoughts on the above Iwan, please. :001_smile
Ha, I’m a glue bump novice too.
Never looked for one till I bought these Yaqi’s.

I think there’s not much “free hair” left in the middle of the white brush. Maybe that’s why I don’t like it?

Did you try it?

I think there’s not much “free hair” left in the middle of the white brush. Maybe that’s why I don’t like it?
Yep, it's definitely a short hair beastie. Due to the glue bump and the bulb shape all the hairs are short.
Did you try it?
I did. It's certainly different to any other brush I've used, due to the short hairs I'm sure. But I like it.

With it being so different, I'll need a few days to develop a proper technique for it and to understand it properly... but we're on talking terms already. :letterk1:

I'll report back, probably in a separate thread.

Guess you didn’t become a fan eh?
Strangely enough Iwan, I got sidetracked. :001_huh:

upload_2017-10-26_11-24-13.png
:letterk1: :laugh:

My Simpsons Duke 1 arrived, so Short Haired Suzie has been moved to the side for a while. I'll still get to her, but I think like you, I'm not feeling overly much love for her. Life can get tricky with SBAD and all the other ADs, as you are probably well aware. :stuart:

Top Bottom