What's new

Good Razor Blade Source in Chicago

Any bricks and mortar locations that have a good selection of razor blades? Somewhere that sells sampler packs would be perfect. In particular, I'm looking to try some Israeli Personnas, Derby and Swedes.

Thanks in advance.

I too live in the Chicago area, but so far have been shopping only online. If I find one, I'll let you know. There are several online vendors with sample packs, one is westcoastshaving.com. Theshaveden.com doesn't sell sample packs, but they have a lot of different blades in stock. And ..............com has a HUGE selection including several sizes of sample packs, but their store is temporarily closed.

I've not personally ordered from any of those sites, yet, so have no experience with their customer service.

Jim

I live in the suburbs, but would also love to find a place in or near the city that sells wet shaving supplies.

C.O. Bigelow sells a variety of shaving creams and soaps (their own brand as well as TOBS and Trumpers). There are a few C.O. Bigelow stores in the Chicago area including Hawthorne Mall in Vernon Hills. For blades, you are better off buying on-line.

Some of the weekend street markets (I forget which ones exactly, there is one where they mostly sell tools and clothes and have big booths selling fresh Mexican food), have stalls which have some blades, among other household items. Last time I went, there was a guy selling Dorcos and Merkur blades at reasonable pricing.

I don't know of anywhere that sells a sampler pack. I usually buy American personnas at Walgreens. The best store I have found for wet shaving in Chicago is Merz Apothecary. there is a Store in Macy's and one in the Lincoln Square neighborhood. I don't know how many blades they sell, I have only seen Astra blades for $10 a pack. Mostly they stock Muehle Pinsel products, but they have a lot of brushes by Muehle, and a decent selection of soaps and creams.

Hiya Sam,

A few members have come up with some good advice for you, especially the Merz store. It's a bit pricey to shop there, but the selection of shaving items is actually pretty good. The Muehle brushes have gotten mostly positive reviews...just in case one calls to you.

Co Bigelow also carries the coveted Acqua di Parma shaving cream, and has their own brand (same as proraso) on the shelves as well. You should call the store first, just to make sure it's one that carries the shave products. The salespeople are very happy to make up samples of whatever you like, and the prices aren't out of line if you buy something.

Some of those stores also stock a good selection of niche types EdT's and EdPs.....some you won't see at Nordstroms or Macys for example. Look over the L'Artisan line.......whew.

Far as local blades go........here's something you may find interesting. I've been in certain Walgreens stores in the Chicago area, and have seen the IPs being sold there. They're sold under the Walgreens 'house' label, believe it or not. Yeah, the blades from Israel......but not all stores stock those. You have to look on the package back for a sticker that says 'Made in Israel'.

Now, I've never actually used one of those blades, but almost everyone who did try em mentioned it was the same blade as a Crystal (IP). The performance was similar. Heh, no, I'm not pulling your leg.

If you like, PM me and I'll send out a couple of different blades you might enjoy. I have Crystals and a couple others. Oh.....Jim Jr? That would go for you also, and it'll be 'on the house'.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit,
Martin

Wish I could add something new, but everything I have discovered thus far in the Chicagoland area has already been listed. Outside of Merz and CO Bigelow I have only made purchases online.

I was just in Mertz today and picked up some Trumpers Rose and Violet soaps. That being said, it is a bad place to buy blades ($5=5 Derbies).

Here's a thought: would others be up for forming a Chicago buying consortium to buy blades 100 at a time on ebay to be subsequently split up.

Perhaps meet up over drinks in the city and divvy up our stache.

Merz is where I go locally for supplies. Truffit and Hill at 900 Michigan Ave also has a nice selection, but I think you already knew that. I've found these IP's at various family dollar store's in the area for a fair price. Your best bet though, for good prices, are the many online vendors.

Oh and count me in for the Chi-town wet shaving meet :thumbup1:

Well, I bought 100 red pack personnas on the bay. With shipping, it came out to $0.115/blade. I'm happy to let some go if anyone is interested.

Any Chicagoans interested in splitting any other 100 pack buys? Derbys and Feathers are two that I'd be interested in.

Top Bottom