What's new

good quality no-logo 100% cotton polo?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I looked at RL polo shirts at their website. Their top-of-the-line polo shirts are listed at $395. Yikes!
There's no need to go that high, for €120/140 you can get (here) a great RL polo that will last years. Basically, they are costing me as much as my bespoke sartorial shirts.

Marco--What is your secret to keeping polos in good condition for a decade? Hand washing? Hang to dry rather than using a dryer. Cold water wash? I do all these things and still have trouble keeping a polo shirt wearable for 10 years. I haven't tried RL Polos, however, so they may be better than, say, Lands End or Kirkland (Costco) or LL Bean.
Some of my Gildan shirts (concerts, linux distro's) are way older then 10 years and still look as new. Wash in the washing machine together with my other clothing and sheets on 30° C, no dryer

1. All clothes are consumables.

2. The “hand” of a RL Polo v Gildon and most of the other brands mentioned is night and day.

3. 25%+ off retail on Tier One brands is easily doable with a bit of patience.

4. When you find what you like, buy multiple because fabric/feel/cut can change season to season.

5. Strongly concur washing in cold/inside out/and line drying. If ironing is required do so inside out or with a press cloth i.e. old 100% cotton t shirt.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Old line men's stores (places that carry brands like Gitman's, Bill's, and Alden) usually have a house brand polo. They are usually from Peru. I am partial to O'Connell's (which I already recommended) but Andover Shop, Ben Silver, and others are comparable (although Ben Silver typically costs more and has a small logo). Quality is excellent. I like them better than RL or Lacoste. The hand is great, the cut is great, and the tails are long enough. Another non-polo option is popovers. I live in Austin, and summers are brutal. I have concluded that loose fitting, long sleeved Madras, gingham, or linen is cooler than polos. I use polos for golf because of the flexibility but not for much else.

Old line men's stores (places that carry brands like Gitman's, Bill's, and Alden) usually have a house brand polo. They are usually from Peru. I am partial to O'Connell's (which I already recommended) but Andover Shop, Ben Silver, and others are comparable (although Ben Silver typically costs more and has a small logo). Quality is excellent. I like them better than RL or Lacoste. The hand is great, the cut is great, and the tails are long enough. Another non-polo option is popovers. I live in Austin, and summers are brutal. I have concluded that loose fitting, long sleeved Madras, gingham, or linen is cooler than polos. I use polos for golf because of the flexibility but not for much else.
I found Scott Barber
at a couple of such local stores.

I found Left Coast Tee
at

Scott Barber is good, but I was less impressed with Left Coast Tee.

Last edited:
There's no need to go that high, for €120/140 you can get (here) a great RL polo that will last years. Basically, they are costing me as much as my bespoke sartorial shirts.
Ah, that sounds better. In the spirit of penny wise/pound foolish bespoke dress items is the way to go.....if you don't gain or loss enough weight that the measurements are off. The problem in the U.S. is that outside of major cities there aren't bespoke garment shops available.

I found Scott Barber
at a couple of such local stores.

I found Left Coast Tee
at

Scott Barber is good, but I was less impressed with Left Coast Tee.
I have a couple of pima cotton polos that were made in Peru and, you're right, the quality is better.

1. All clothes are consumables.

2. The “hand” of a RL Polo v Gildon and most of the other brands mentioned is night and day.

3. 25%+ off retail on Tier One brands is easily doable with a bit of patience.

4. When you find what you like, buy multiple because fabric/feel/cut can change season to season.

5. Strongly concur washing in cold/inside out/and line drying. If ironing is required do so inside out or with a press cloth i.e. old 100% cotton t shirt.
Yes to inside out washing, which also preserves clothing. And don't take your washable clothing to the cleaners, which is hard on clothes.

Just bought me a $17 Navy blue from GAP on sale , not sure I would have bought it at $50, at that price I would have looked for a a Lacoste one on amazon for $65. Not the best quality ever, but it actually fit my quasimodo body shape which is what I actually look for and for me the issue is not how long the fabric will last but how long can I go without making a stain I can't get out and at that game I rarely last forever, so $17, $110 high quality don't make a difference, a stained polo is a wasted piece of closing.

Reactions: abj
Just bought me a $17 Navy blue from GAP on sale , not sure I would have bought it at $50, at that price I would have looked for a a Lacoste one on amazon for $65. Not the best quality ever, but it actually fit my quasimodo body shape which is what I actually look for and for me the issue is not how long the fabric will last but how long can I go without making a stain I can't get out and at that game I rarely last forever, so $17, $110 high quality don't make a difference, a stained polo is a wasted piece of closing.
What causes staining?

I'll throw in a couple of left field options-
Uniqlo
Muji

Hopefully Muji in the US upsize their 'XL' for outside Asia... but famously all their items are entirely free of logos.

Quick update. Despite writing about wanting to go logo-free:
- I tried Polo RL in store and the fit was OK but I didn't like the fabric -- very coarse.
- I ordered a Lacoste and didn't like the fit or the fabric. The fabric had a very strong chemical odor. It was made in Sri Lanka.
- I ordered one from Rag & Bone and didn't like the fabric (too flimsy) or the buttons.
- I ordered one from Scott Barber and also didn't like the fabric. This one was made in China. A previous purchase was made in Peru and my recollection is the fabric was much better.

So I'm still haven't found a favorite polo. :(

Quick update. Despite writing about wanting to go logo-free:
- I tried Polo RL in store and the fit was OK but I didn't like the fabric -- very coarse.
- I ordered a Lacoste and didn't like the fit or the fabric. The fabric had a very strong chemical odor. It was made in Sri Lanka.
- I ordered one from Rag & Bone and didn't like the fabric (too flimsy) or the buttons.
- I ordered one from Scott Barber and also didn't like the fabric. This one was made in China. A previous purchase was made in Peru and my recollection is the fabric was much better.

So I'm still haven't found a favorite polo. :(
It's nice that these merchants have a flexible return policy. As I mentioned before, I have had good luck with Made-in-Peru polos from Lands End.

It's nice that these merchants have a flexible return policy. As I mentioned before, I have had good luck with Made-in-Peru polos from Lands End.
I wouldn't order if they didn't have a good return policy. But with Scott Barber, I paid for shipping both ways. Lacoste and Rag & Bone had free shipping both ways.

Back in the mid 90's I bought and really enjoyed a lot of gear (polos, fleece pullovers) from Lands End (before they got acquired by Sears). Then quality went downhill, they got acquired by Sears, Sears went downhill, ...

Macy's has a good sale going on for Ralph Lauren product going on ... if you like the fit / fabric of course.

As for the fit, be mindful that European brand will size smaller on average than Americans, I am an XL in Europe, L in the US

Top Bottom