What's new

Good Pocket Flashlight

Agreed but sometimes it's not good for the wallet. It was Jay who got me hooked on flash lights, somehow managed to look into the abyss but not fall into it, i guess i saw the light. :lol: BTW Tim, good choice on the lights you picked up.

Ram,
how do they perform against each other?
Do you have a preference one over the other?

Thanks

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Agreed but sometimes it's not good for the wallet. It was Jay who got me hooked on flash lights, somehow managed to look into the abyss but not fall into it, i guess i saw the light. :lol: BTW Tim, good choice on the lights you picked up.

Sucker!

And nice stash! :thumbup1:

ouch

You can always tell the missus they're for shaving.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The L1D arrived on Saturday and I never thought that I ever would think a flashlight was this cool. I think it's really bright, 120 lumens at turbo. I really don't take it off 12 lumens and that's as bright as any maglite I've ever had. I hope I'm wrong, but I think I have another AD coming on. :blushing:

Ram,
how do they perform against each other?
Do you have a preference one over the other?

Thanks

Jim,

Sorry for the delayed response, i somehow missed this thread earlier and just noticed your question. Arc-P is my preferred EDC because of the size. The L1D and Nitecore perform equally well with the only downside (at least for me) on the L1D is that it feels slippery since there is no knurling on the body. In fact i have dropped it a few times, once from the top of a ladder onto a concrete floor and my L1D has a few scars as a result of this. On the bright side (no pun intended) the L1D continues to perform without a glitch after such abuse where any other light might have stopped working.

Lighthound is the standard, in particular for pieces and parts to build your own light. I'm waiting for an order as we speak.
ARC sells from their own website, as do many of the other makes such as Fenix, Ralight, and Surefire.
The good stuff can be found on Candelpowerforum in the BST forums, in particular the custom forum. Also dealers and modders have separate forums.
Easy to get carried away with all the goodies. I only have eight lights, one of which is under construction.

What are the advantages of LED vs. Incandescent Flashlight?

Incandescent lights are last century's technology dude, anybody still using them needs to join the rest of us in the 21st. It's next generation stuff - they're superior in just about every way.

Generally you're looking at a rated burn time of at least 50,000 hours, that's nearly six years continuous use, you'd be lucky to get 1000 hours out of an ordinary incandescent flashlight bulb and high output bulbs (xenon for instance) even less. An incandescent is also likely to break if you drop the flashlight, very much less likely that you'd ever break an LED.

Unless you're talking really exotic HID bulbs and high voltage batteries LEDs are also brighter than incandescents - top quality incandescents like high end Surefires can compete on output but you pay a real heavy penalty in battery life you're looking at minutes (and not much into double figures) as against hours.

The reason is that incandescents are much less efficient and a lot of the energy goes into heat and invisible infra red. There's no way you could ever get two days or more burn time from a single AA battery using incandescents.

Incandescents do have two advantages though:

1. Colour definition - the latest LEDs are a lot better than they used to be but certain colours can still look a little funky.
2. Incandescents (as a rule) have better "throw" for similar output.

Basically LEDs are better in just about any situation a normal person would ever encounter.

I really liked the Fenix L0D-Q4 for the 75 lumen output in an AAA light, and I did not love the twist-switch, but the amount of light they cram into that tiny little package is amazing.

proxy.php

Then I got the new LD01... bumped to 80 lumen output in an AAA light, same tiny package. Amazing. And the light is slightly whiter too, with a more even spread. I say again, amazing.

proxy.php

I always have a Fenix in my bag and a Photon Microlight in my pocket.

proxy.php

Cheers.

J

I'll admit when Jay first brought up flashlights, I thought he was off his rocker. I mean, flashlights, how cool can they be? So a few days ago, my Fenix L1D arrives, now I've already ordered a LOD and have a L2T on the way as well and I'm really fighting the urge to hold off purchasing a NiteCore D10. :redface:

ouch

I'll admit when Jay first brought up flashlights, I thought he was off his rocker. I mean, flashlights, how cool can they be? So a few days ago, my Fenix L1D arrives, now I've already ordered a LOD and have a L2T on the way as well and I'm really fighting the urge to hold off purchasing a NiteCore D10. :redface:

You can't believe the amount of crap I took from my wife when she realized that the torches were starting to pile up. That didn't stop her from swiping one of my Nuwai Q3's and a Fenix L1+. My kid, who thinks flashlights are the geekiest thing imaginable, has the brightest light in her camp.

I love my L0D- amazing and useful output from a light the size of a AA battery.

Peak LED Solutions makes some really beautiful lights, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom