What's new

Good Pocket Flashlight

I'm looking to get my first good flashlight. I don't need anything large or heavy duty. I'm looking for one that I can attach to my keyring or put in a pocket. Let's hear the suggestions!

Thanks

I really like Fenix.

proxy.php

Two excellent choices suggested already in the Fenix (my first choice) and the Arc. If you need even smaller and cheaper, go with a Photon Micro. I usually have a Fenix P1D in my pocket these days.

Last edited:
For pocket use, the fenix or arc, or smaller surefires are great, but if you want a really useful, REALLY compact one that can fit on a keychain, check out these little ones made by inova.

proxy.php

The dark colored body one has a 3 stage momentary on and a constant on switch. You can switch between hi, low, and strobe. The clear body one has momentary on and constant only. They are nearly indestructible polycarbonate, water resistant, and battery life is very good. They are also cheap. I think I got them at fry's for like 6 bucks each, batteries included. I believe they also come in different LED colors, like red, green and blue. The white seems to be the most practical for general purpose.

This is definitely one flashlight you can keep on a keychain and never be without that weighs next to nothing and is bright enough to be really useful.

Search for "LED Lenser"

I believe "Coast" is one of the companies that rebrands them. They have lumen rating on the pakage and can be found at home depot. These are the brightes per size flashlights i have ever owned. The higher the lumen rating the better. They offer differing lense designs for different aplications. I own some of the tactical line, 3AAA's.

I really like Fenix.

proxy.php

I carry this light, the on-off is a barrel twist, a flaw in the design IMO. It does go on sometimes and burns up the battery. I always thought that switch was designed backwards- off is loose-on is tight.

Last edited:
Three EDC recommendations depending on what you want a flashlight for.

Firstly the photon: not much of a torch but extremely small and light, not even noticeable on a keyring. Great for trivial needs, when you drop something on a dark night or finding a candle when there's a power cut.

Then Fenix L0D: more serious use like finding your way through some woodland path on a dark night but not especially bright or long lasting.

Lastly the Fenix P1D: a serious torch suitable for everything up to and including a week camping in the back of beyond.

I've had the same problem with the L0D turning itself on in my pocket but I've learned to make sure it's turned off an extra turn and since then it hasn't happened again. The P1D doesn't have the same problem it's just stiffer for some reason and won't turn on accidentally.

What do you want to spend? My #1 favorite pocket sized (or a SLIGHTLY big keychain light...not really terrible, though) is the Aeon, by Muyshondt. I have it in HA ALuminum, for right around $200. Ti available at around $400.
A slightly larger light, good with a pocke clip, is teh McGizmo Lunasol 20, at around $440, also titanium.
I have a Fenix L0D on one keychain, and an Arc AAA on the other. The Arc is one of those "I always know it is there, it's not the brightest, or the flashiest but it IS the toughest, and most reliable."

Feel free to PM me with what you want to spend, and what exactly you want the light to DO for you. How much light do you need? How much runtime? Do you want rechargeable batteries? Do you mind slightly exotic batteries? How small does it need to be? There are lights out there not much bigger than the vitamins I take every morning, that put out 100 lumens (much more than a 3D cell maglight)...of course, they sacrifice runtime, and use an exotic battery that needs to be recharged, and the light is custom made.

I should add: The Fenix lights people are mentioning above are fantastic lights for the money. Very possibly the BEST bang for the buck out there, IMHO. Of course, there are cheaper lights, but none that I find to have quality that I would rely on. The P1D, is rather amazing. I own a few of them, as well. if I am someplace I don't want to bring a very expensive light for wahtever reason, but want to bring asmall light or a backup, it is the light I bring. I think it is too big for keychain carry (considerably larger than the Aeon mentioned above, but uses a CR123 battery), but it ais a GREAT pocket light. Mine lives in the watch pocket of my jeans when I carry it.

Last edited:
A second vote for ARC. I actually own three ARC flashlights. An older LSHF-P (serial #0002, no longer made) with a belt holster, a AAA CS on my keyring, and a AAA DS green LED on my ATV key ring (used for deer hunting so as not to destroy my night vision). The ARC AAA is a twist on so accidental turn on is almost impossible.

A bit larger and more expensive recommendation would be a RaLights twisty. I wear mine in a leather belt holster made by AKJ Concealco. The twisty (twist to turn on) is 1 inch in diameter and 3 3/8ths inch long. Three light levels but a bit large for pocket carry.

The Ra twisty uses CR123 batteries, the ARC uses AAA. Both batteries are available in Lithium, can be purchased most anywhere, and will last a long time.

All these are LED lights and far superior to incan.

Seems there are some other light freaks here.

I've been using a Nitecore EX10 as my EDC light for a few months now. Small, bright, multiple levels, reasonable price. Planning to give it to my wife and pick up the new Ra Clicky. Before the Nitecore my EDC was a Surefire E1L.

the fenix lod is an amazingly bright little light, with clicky tailcap, and runs off easily available AA batteries... the various brightness modes are very useful too! for the money, fenix's can't be beat

my current EDC is a novatac 120P... i love the ability to program its various modes JUST the way i like it :)

Fenix's are tough to beat for the money. I have been carrying a Nitecore EX-10 lately and really like the piston drive switch. If you want it for a keychain, I wouldn't go bigger than a AAA light like a LOD, LD01 or Arc.

The gerber infinity ultra is a good pocket light that runs on one AA battery and will supposedly run for 100 hours on one battery.

Top Bottom